Back to "pure" eating

lynnc99
on 3/1/11 8:15 pm
I've honestly been really scared about regain the last few weeks.

I am 19 months out. From July - December, my weight was very steady at 154-55. Once or twice, I touched 153. Never below that, although I think it would be interesting to see 149-50 someday.

Slowly since December, I have put on several pounds that don't seem to be going anywhere. On Monday, I weighed 161 lbs.

That's 7 lbs. And they stuck. IT's no****er, or day to day fluctuation, or my imagination.

For two days I have been totally back to basics. Not the pouch test, but very heavy on dense protein and getting all my fluids in.  (I am pretty good with the fluid intake anyway). What I am realizing is how many foods have crept into my diet over the months. I think I was somehow able to "get away with" these for a while and then they began to catch up to me.

Those foods include:
Nuts (my "good for you" almonds expanded out into eating peanuts and cashews)
Peanut butter (I know some of you can relate)
Potato - although I will have some baked sweet potato tonight, when we eat out I would sometimes have part of a baked regular potato
Butter - on the potato
Sugar free ice cream - a trigger food for me if there ever was one
Protein bars - although "good" for emergencies, I can et these as if they were candy bars. And I sometimes do.
Multi grain crackers - those little hexagon shaped ones you get at Costco. Again, I eat those they way I used to eat  pre op....just pop them down.Healthy list of ingredients became my justification. 
Pita chips - on Sunday I ate a handful of these. So few ingredients, and it takes 9 to be a serving, right? But I felt that carb door opening and need to SLAM it shut!

I have been very careful about not eating sugar (but I do use Splenda and Truvia). Except for the pita chips, I eat almost no refined carbs. But even with those strict guidelines, I found a way to soften up my eating plan just enough to scare myself with the results.

I am back to "pure" RNY eating and getting LOTS of exercise.Protein and complex carbs. That's where it's gotta be!

Just needed to put it out there for the accountability piece. And maybe a little cautionary tale for anyone else who may see those "other" foods slipping in.
Nicole0216
on 3/1/11 8:34 pm - Lancaster, PA
I agree with you, it is so easy to have something that is "legal" turn into something that isn't.  Just goes to show we can over eat anything, and it can bleed into old habits. I know that I do best and feel better when I limit carbs. More fruit veggies and proteins and I am feeling great, Start with crackers, even oatmeal and I can feel myself slipping. i Say this as I have sugar Free brownies in my house right now.  I like the way you put it as Pure Eating.  I thought that as long as I did not test the waters with sugar I would always be ok. Not the case, it creeps in, in other areas because my body doesnt really know the difference between sugar and refined carbs so I kid myself.

Good for you, I am right behind ya
lynnc99
on 3/1/11 8:41 pm
Nic I am actually fortunate that I really don't tolerate sugar alcohols well. Now, I say that as my husband is deep into product development of NSA bakery items....(which, by the way, will top anything else out there right now...)
Lisa0719
on 3/1/11 8:44 pm - PA
Lynne/Nicole --- me too.  At 2 1/2 years out, I almost died when I stepped on the scale this morning.  I eat no sugar at all, no sugar-free dessert type items either.  I literally went on a cruise and never once had dessert or sweets.  I drink 4C splenda drinks but they do not trigger sugar issues.   But the carbs . . .  crackers, some bread and fats . . . somehow I've beem justifying full-fat cheese as being ok . . . need to get back to basics--- dense low fat protein and complex carbs only.  Drinking my protein drink right now.

104 lbs lost now Maintenance BABY!!!! 

lynnc99
on 3/1/11 8:46 pm
I have always been a "weigh every day" person. That has been a tool for me to be sure there are no surprises.
dit657
on 3/1/11 9:02 pm - Boothwyn, PA
For me it's the carbs, and they're a killer - and yes, it's very easy to 'justify' the healthy ones - is there such a thing?? I'm a little over 3 years out and the scale has also crept up on me and I'm not liking it one bit - I'm working my way back to basics as well. Protein shake this morning - have a good supply of yogurt and cottage cheese, healthier snacks. I do keep protein bars around but only if I want something 'dense'. It's not easy though, is it.

Like you, Lynn, I can't tolerate sugars, so that's not a big issue for me - and I don't go for a lot of the sf snacks either - maybe jello or pudding - once in a great while some ice cream.

I think my bigger issue is portion size now - and that's what I really need to concentrate on - and getting my butt moving again. I did take a long walk last night but it killed my knees, so back to the bike tonight.

It's a lifelong struggle for all of us, but one we can beat now because we have the tool to do it.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Maura M.
on 3/2/11 10:50 am - Yardley, PA
Thank you for posting Lynn - I am still in the honeymoon phase and these are all my fears.  I weigh every day out of fear.
Maura

Lisa H.
on 3/2/11 11:10 am - Whitehall, PA
Thanks for posting Lynn.. I am DEFINITELY letting old habits creep in.  I am not grazing as much as I used to and I keep the damn peanut butter out of the house.  BUT, my portions are too big.  I started drinking a litttle bit of soda and the SF treats have turned into every day things.

I am trying desperately to keep my food in check and can't wait for the Back To Basics program at the hospital to start in April so I can sit in a class with others like me and get the support and re-education I need.  I got a form to fill out today asking for what types of things I struggle with.  I WILL be HONEST on this form so the things I need are addressed during the program.

If I was not so dedicated to the gym, I don't want to know where I would be right now.

Thanks for keeping us all honest, Lynn.

My tracker

hers 

travelgrl
on 3/23/11 1:58 pm - allentown, PA
@Lisa, when is the back to basics program? Is it at Westfield?
Lisa H.
on 3/23/11 9:12 pm - Whitehall, PA
 Hi.... Back to Basics is at St. Luke's Allentown.  It starts April 5.  The information is on their website. www.mystlukesonline.org/locations/stl-allentown-campus/servi ces/bariatric-weight-loss-surgery/back-to-basics.aspx

My tracker

hers 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views