finally

enasangels
on 2/28/11 4:38 pm - PA
Hi All,
Life has gotten in the way, and I have been absent from the Pa forum for sometime.  However I am back with renewed commitment.  The finally part is two fold.  My daughter has finally realized she needs to lose weight.  Being the person I am, I have just been standing by and watching to see if Lisa would do something about her weight.  She is old enough and educated enough to know she needs to lose weight but as we all know we can't do it till we are ready. (I am trying every day to fight my addiction to food)  When she told me she was going on this program the doctor recommended, I hugged her and told her how worried I have been as I did not want her to go through all I have been through with my weight and my health. (after all we all want better for our children)  I did not want all the things I have had to come to her.(reflux,hbp,diabetes etc)  She told me I am like a new Christian, and just want to spout about it.  (not really I have said nothing, but was worried for her, she is a nurse and knows better)  So my part in this for her is financial support in this effort, and encouragement, and recommitment for myself as she goes through her journey. 
     On a side note the "finally" for my youngest grandchild, she started day care today.  After 20 months of MomMom day care she has gone to join the other kids, which she not only needed to do, but is more than ready for.  The only tears were from the MomMom, and I would have been find if the woman at the center had not said to me, you must be the care provider, which did make me tear up.  I know that she is in the best place possible, but now the question is, What to do,what to do with my days.  I am still needed for the overnites for all three of them, but the days will be long.  I am sure I will find something to do with my time until pick up time arrives in the evening.
    Thanks to listening to my rant, and I am ever so glad to be back and rededicating myself to my own journey.  I guess this is one place I will have more time for now.
Hugs, Ena

"Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

Patricia R.
on 2/28/11 5:39 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Ena,
Good to see you back.  You were missed.  I am right there with you on both issues, but in different ways.

First, with your daughter.  I am a recovering alcoholic, in addition to my food addiction.  I have a son who at one time had a heroin addiction, but now drinks too much, which for someone who has been to three rehabs, should not be happening at all.  It is so hard to keep my big mouth shut.  When I was in rehab in January a year ago, I did write him a letter, telling him that I saw so many similarities between him and me, and prayed he would not wait till he  was in his 50s to get help.

Second, my daughter lives in Michigan, and needs help with my grandchildren, which I would help with, were I closer.  She teaches part time, and her husband is the stay-at-home Dad, and then he goes to work, as a contractor, when she comes home from school, which she does four days a week.  Since I am retired, I would love to pitch in, and have even offered to relocate, but that has not been taken up on yet.  My Munchkins are 3 and 18 months.  I have babysat them in the past, and have been pretty successful at keeping up with them.

Hang in there.  What I do with my time includes, walking the dog, volunteer work with Special Olympics, and a homeless ministry, a Women's Bible Study at my church, and sewing and knitting things for other people.   Think  about volunteering in some  capacity.  There are so many needs in our society, and you would be great, and be rewarded in so many ways.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Lisa H.
on 2/28/11 7:44 pm - Whitehall, PA
Hey Ena.. welcome back.  Good luck to your daughter on her weight loss journey.  And, good luck to you on getting through your days without your little one :D   My suggestion is to use that time to get to the gym, volunteer somewhere and find a hobby.  You don't want to end up with too much free time on your hands and fall back into old habits.

I'm sure you'll continue to do well with your journey, as well.

Stick around.  We're here to support you (and for your entertainment)

My tracker

hers 

dit657
on 2/28/11 8:56 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Welcome back Ena - don't worry about the comments from your daughter - both of my sisters are extremely overweight and at first I would feel guilty about how much I was losing - I never bragged and would only offer information if asked - but one day it hit me and I reallized that I am proud of what I've done and why shouldn't I talk about it? I did this for ME, not them. Now my older sister is going through the steps to have lapband surgery - and I'm very supportive of her, but don't push her. If she asks me questions about food, etc., I'm always willing to share what I know. I'm sure part of this reaction from your daughter is that she is finally acknowledging that she needs to do something, and that's a hard thing to face - at least it was for me. Just let her know you're there for her when she needs you. She'll come around.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
spirit56
on 3/1/11 7:52 am - Philadelphia, PA
Welcome back Ena,

Glad to see you around the boards.  Sorry that you are feeling lost without your grandchild.  I agree with the others - you have more energy now and have much to offer to others.  Hobbies are good or would you like to volunteer at a school?  I teach 7th and 8th grade and I am always glad for help from others.  There are so many needs - in the library, running the copier, reading to little ones - the list could go on and on.

Happy to hear about your daughter.  My sister will be having RNY surgery in a few months.  She needs to get in 200 hours on the CPAP machine first.  I also did not say too much to her initially (we live together) but would answer her questions.  I am 20 months out and she is also a nurse.  She started going to the Barix support group last summer and that seemed to get the ball rolling for her.  I am very proud of her and know that her quality of life will be so much better.

Anyhow hope to see you around more often.  Tak care.

Donna
enasangels
on 3/1/11 9:32 am - PA
Thank You All for giving me support, as you always do to everyone.  Trish you brought a tear to my eyes, we want so much more for our children than we had, it is hard watching them go through what we went through.  Lisa you made me laugh, yes there is entertainment value here at times. (laughing with people not at them)  Kathy I remember you talking about your sister when she came to visit you, and I am glad she is going for it.  Donna, bless you I don't know how you were able to remain silent when you live with your sister, but now you will be two "skinny minnies together".  Good Luck to both your sisters, and I can't wait to hear about their journeys.  I do plan to do some kind of volunteer work.  I do lots of crocheting, and would love to make some lap blankets to donate to a nursing home.  Now maybe I can join some kind of exercise class for me. 
Thanks again ladies.
Hugs Ena

"Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views