hmm time to find another PCP??

liz52408
on 2/23/11 9:21 am
Ok so I called my PCP dr to get some additional things added to my labwork slip, then I get a call tonight saying that those additional things cannot be added, because last time I had bloodwork done those levels were FINE!  yeh ok thats why my vitamin D was at 30, and they said was FINE, but right on the paper said in the deficient range!   what is the big deal about having labwork done on levels for your own body!!!!  And the additional things that needed added were lets see, total iron, pre-albumin, lipid panel etc... (because I mentioned to her about me feeling exhausted and deep ridges in my fingernails, seem to be a common symptom of an iron deficiency, and her anwser was oh well your levels have been great so far, so dont worry about it!) Like your levels can never change??!?!!  dumbass!  grrr i am so pissed, should i contact them again or look for another Dr?  They said I can contact my surgeon if i need those additional levels checked...
So any suggestions for PCP Dr's in the York area that have a semi- understanding of WLS?
Thanks!!

Nicole0216
on 2/23/11 6:54 pm - Lancaster, PA
Get a new Dr STAT
liz52408
on 2/23/11 11:29 pm
Thanks!  That was my first thought after I got off the phone with them!  I mean its my body and if I want certain tests done why should they deny that? Its not going to kill me to get my total iron tested! geeesh!  so now I guess I will start searching for a new doc!  I felt like saying to her well my pap was normal last year so umm im not going to get that done ever again because it was fine last year!- no $$ for her!! lol

Liz R.
on 2/23/11 8:52 pm - Easton, PA
Find a new Dr right away. I go to mine with a list and say please run these. I can send you the list if you want, let me know.

Liz
liz52408
on 2/23/11 11:25 pm
thank you so much Liz!  I would appreciate the list!  This is not the first time she has given me a hard time about getting labwork done, and I mentioned to her about the deep ridges in my fingernails and feeling exhausted lately maybe being a sign of iron deficiency, her response was oh no dont worry about that, your levels have been GREAT!  umm yeh, and your levels can NEVER change right?  You dont need a degree in medicene to know thats not true!!  so i guess i will be in search of another Dr, I would like to find one that is somewhat knowledgable in WLS.

Liz R.
on 2/24/11 1:45 am - Easton, PA
If you send me an e-mail to [email protected] I'll forward it right over!

You most certainly can have labs change and they do need to be monitored! I am anemic so I totally understand! It isn't something to mess around with. Good for you being your own advocate and sticking up for yourself!

Can you make an appt with your surgeon?
liz52408
on 2/24/11 1:53 am
ok i will send you an email, is your email at gmail?
 i have noticed that my Vitamin D level has dropped a little each time I've had it tested- last time it was close to 30.... which she said was good!  I have a call into my surgeon's office to see if they can do a lab slip for me.

Liz R.
on 2/24/11 3:25 am - Easton, PA
nope just "mail"

[email protected]
BariatricBSN
on 2/26/11 9:22 pm
One of the most important weapons in the weight loss surgery arsenal is a PCP who SUPPORTS and UNDERSTANDS bariatric surgery.  I changed my PCP after 20 years of going to the same one who was great in other aspects but did not support me having GBP surgery because "I didn't have that much to lose (100 lb. overweight!) and I could do it on my own."  PLEASE try to find someone who will support you! BTW, do you have to go to PCP to get blood work?  I give my patients the slip for what we want done and they go straight to the lab.  I know that many times it depends on your insurance where you go.
liz52408
on 3/1/11 12:33 am
On February 27, 2011 at 5:22 AM Pacific Time, BariatricBSN wrote:
One of the most important weapons in the weight loss surgery arsenal is a PCP who SUPPORTS and UNDERSTANDS bariatric surgery.  I changed my PCP after 20 years of going to the same one who was great in other aspects but did not support me having GBP surgery because "I didn't have that much to lose (100 lb. overweight!) and I could do it on my own."  PLEASE try to find someone who will support you! BTW, do you have to go to PCP to get blood work?  I give my patients the slip for what we want done and they go straight to the lab.  I know that many times it depends on your insurance where you go.
thank you!  I have found another PCP that is supportive in WLS and they told me just to give them a list of what labs I want done and they said there should be no reason why a Dr. should refuse them to a patient!!  So I am very happy!  I have a message into my surgeons office in the meantime so that they can give me my lab slip for this bloodwork.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views