Can I ask a question??

Maureen F.
on 2/19/11 9:27 pm - Essington, PA
Ok so I am 3 days away from surgery and I am having HORRIBLE food anxiety....is this normal? I almost want to call and cancel the whole thing. Can someone give me some insight on what your post op diet is like, and I dont mean the 6 weeks after I mean the 6 months after........I have myself ready for the 6 weeks recovery and not eating to much but will I ever be able to eat normal foods again. No I dont want a cheese steak or an entire pizza, but I do want to enjoy food and be normal. Is that going to happen? Am I doing the right thing? and is this normal to feel like this so close to surgery? I feel like I am panicing more the closer it gets. Thanks for letting me rant and any advice would be appreciated.
HW-309      Surgery Weight - 283     GOAL-160

Decolady
on 2/19/11 9:41 pm - Bethlehem Twp., PA
Hi Maureen,

Just BREATHE.  We all went through this!! 

I am just now 6 months out.  I am finding I can taste just about anything, but some things just don't feel or taste the same anymore.  Greasy, fatty foods just don't sit right, so I don't like them.  Most kinds of bread don't feel good either in my pouch.  After you try them a couple of times, and it doesn't feel good, you don't want it anymore.

You will be able to have a bite or two of just about anything after you are done healing.  In fact I am told that you really feel normal after about 18 months out, and that is when you have to star****ching what you eat very carefully.

These days I am eating either Special K Protein or instant low sugar oatmeal for breakfast with protein coffee (coffee with unflavored protein in it).  I have a protein bar or shake mid-morning.  Soup or chili or leftovers for lunch (small portion).  Maybe a handful of nuts for a snack.  A small portion of meat or fish with a little veggies for dinner.  I have been indulging in sugar free ice cream for an evening snack.  But I am still losing, and I do Zumba 2-3 times per week.

Hope that helps.  I am so glad I had this surgery!! 

Peace,

Deb 
bvohl
on 2/19/11 10:37 pm
Maureen,

I am now 20 months out and I can pretty much eat anything just in small portions! I do have to listen to my body and not my head. My head says more but my pouch say no! I still stay away from sugar. Bread does not bother me, but I eat it in moderation.

Don't panic, you will be able to eat just much smaller portions. Remember everyone is different, so things that don't bother you might bother others and vice versa. Alot of this is baptism by fire, you try something, it doesn't agree with you so you stay away. Unless you are a masicist...LOL!! In the first six months STAY with the program. This is not saying that you can't go out to dinner or enjoy your life, just do not test the waters! There are alot of healthy options out there, you just have to be picky about what you eat.

I hope this helps. PM me if you need to talk or any other advice!
Good luck to you! You are feeling perfectly normal emotions three days before surgery!

((HUGS))
Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Nicole0216
on 2/20/11 7:54 pm - Lancaster, PA
You will be able to eventually feel pretty normal with food unfortunately because then you really have to watch what you eat.  I tell everyone this, one of the best things I ever did was make a commitment to myself that i was not going to test the waters with sugar. I dont want to know what dumping feels like, and I dont want to know that i Dont dump because not everyone does. I have a hard enough time managing my weight without having sugar be a part of the equation, diet soda is also in the catagory for me.  Once you test the waters it is hard to take it back. I in no way feel deprvied because i dont eat sugar.
Sansobel
on 2/20/11 8:08 pm - Coatesville, PA
I ditto the comments already made.

I'm now 18ish months out. There are things i just don't want anymore because of how they sit in my pouch.  I eat bread but in smalllllll quantities cause otherwise I'm miserable.  I don't test the sugar waters and assume I'm a dumper!. 

its a slow gradual come back to 'normal' eating but normal to us is not what was normal before surgery.  But it is normal.  And I don't feel deprived or sorry or any of those things.

Best thing I ever did for myself.  Good luck and you will do fine!
Sandra           
Maura M.
on 2/21/11 10:10 am - Yardley, PA
I don't have anything to add to what has been said above - Wishing you well with this significant next step in your life.  You will be so happy that you took this step.  Always come here with questions.

Be well - check in and let us know how you are doing!

Maura
Maura

Maureen F.
on 2/21/11 10:36 am - Essington, PA
Thank you all for your help and kind words. I am just about 24 hours away from admissin to the hospital and feeling a bit better. I ahve gotten tot alk to a few people who have gotten the same procedure fromthe same doc and they made me feel so much better, I also talked to the staff at the Docs office and they were sooooo helpful. I will keep you all updated.

Mo
HW-309      Surgery Weight - 283     GOAL-160

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views