MY TWO YEAR CHECKUP

Lisa H.
on 2/18/11 3:17 am - Whitehall, PA
 My 2 year surgiversary is next week.. what?!  Yesterday, I went for my two year follow up with the surgeon.  Though, it really wasn’t a follow up since I had never met this doctor before yesterday.  I have gained about 15 pounds back since my lowest.  My lowest was NOT goal.  I know my food has not been good, but according to the plastic surgeon I had a consult with a few weeks ago, there is NO fat in my belly.  It is all skin… so where the hell is this extra weight?   Anyway, it’s there and I want it gone.  He told me that he WILL go down with an endoscope and see what is going on.  He also said that if he finds that my stoma is stretched, he can do another endoscopy and go in and suture the stoma that way instead of going in surgically.  If he does this, it will give me more restriction again.  He said that this will not give me another drastic 50-60 lbs loss, but will let me lose at least 20 lbs quickly and as I stated to him, help me to feel the restriction I need to not eat like a pig at meals.

We scheduled the endoscopy and then I was going to make an appointment to see the dietician and the social worker, per his request.  They were both available to talk to me right away.    

The dietitian went over portions and journaling and all the stuff I know I should be doing and also stated something that Karen G has brought up before.  She thinks that the Crystal Light I drink instead of plain water is probably triggering my sugar cravings.  I’m going to try hard to go back to plain water.  I like it, but of course like the sweetness of the mixes.  I am willing to see if it will make a difference. 

The social worker was awesome!! She does the pre-op questioning and educating and guess what she gave me? Something I NEVER got from my original surgeon… a binder filled with all sorts of information I should know about the surgery and post op life.  You know, like the Barix bible.. imagine that.. 2 years later and someone finally gives me a rule book.  She was incredible.  She gave me a lot of insight on my addictive personality, including my food addiction and transfer addictions.  She suggested that I attend OA and gave me ideas of how to have Siehara help ME stay on track while in turn getting herself on track. (See my response to Beth V’s post about Dee).   

It was so nice to finally talk to people with whom I was comfortable and where I felt I could be honest without being bashed.  We laughed together at my shortcomings, but they gave me serious advice on how to fix them. 

Even though I am not at goal, I was quite pleased with my 2 year checkup!! 

My tracker

hers 

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 2/18/11 3:38 am
Congrats on two years.  You've come a long way even though you've had some rebound on the scale.  I realize everyone is different, but all I drink is Crystal Light.  I don't crave sugar.  If it wasn't for crystal light I wouldn't be drinking anything. I hate water.  I understand what you mean when you say no excess body fat, where the hell is it.  I have the same situation, but I can see the fluid in my legs, and I'm sure sagging skin has a weight behind it also.  Keep us informed on the endoscope.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

R K.
on 2/18/11 3:38 am

Just curious why you didn't see Dr Holland?

"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
Lisa H.
on 2/18/11 3:47 am - Whitehall, PA
 Dr. Holland went back to Sacred Heart.. Since I had only seen him once, I decided to give Dr. El Chaar a chance.  I liked him and the practice, so I think I'll stay. 

My tracker

hers 

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/11 3:43 am
Lisa,

You have done an amazing job. You have freely admitted to us the regain and your struggles. No one said this was an easy journey but you accountable to yourself and don't fool yourself. Glad he is going to do the endoscope for you so you have answers.

Glad the social worker and dietitatian appointments went well too.
You are doing a great job! 
Nicole0216
on 2/18/11 5:24 am - Lancaster, PA
so glad that this program makes mental health as well as physical health a priority
bvohl
on 2/18/11 2:40 pm
Lisa,

Sounds like you had a good visit and got great advice and support! I need to get the ball rolling on my plastics. All in all, you are doing a fantastic job and being proactive is an awesome thing!! Do you like decaf unsweetened iced tea? I have a iced tea machine and I make it with decaf tea bags then I sweeten it with splenda. It makes getting my water in much easier. Just a suggestion!

Take care and let us know how the endoscopy goes....

Love, Beth V.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

lynnc99
on 2/19/11 2:28 am
Lisa, I am glad to hear that you "clicked" with the new doctor and practice. Sounds like they covered all lthe bases, and that you are doing well! Congratulations on two years!
deebatt
on 2/19/11 8:24 am - Imperial (Pittsburgh), PA
Lisa,
 I just read your post, and i swear, it was like i was looking in a mirror...  we could be twins LOL.    I too gained back 10 pounds but was not quite at my goal.. having lots of increasing sugar cravings..not feeling the restriction that i used to (although i do feel it LOWER in my belly, near my belly button).. feeling like i could eat like a pig at meals...yada yada yada.

I have my 2 year follow up coming up in about 3 weeks, and am curious to see what they say.  I know i have to get back on track with journaling and portion control, and bumping up the exercise..  but im just not feeling my pouch like i did a year ago.   i'm a crystal light junkie too.. hmmm i'll have to see if i can go cold turkey and notice any changes.

i am definitely proud of you and see you as an inspiration (along with others here)... keep up the good work and i am glad you were pleased with the 2 yr c/u
~ Denise 

Sara E.
on 2/20/11 6:49 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
Way to go Lisa!
The last 2 years you have come so very far.
I am so glad you have a Dr you click with, that is so important.

Sara

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views