Wow, Wow and more Wow!!!!!

steffihope
on 2/13/11 8:28 am - Philadelphia, PA
I know that this is most likely just for me - like a journal entry of sorts, but I need to have it in words, and you all are my biggest cheerleaders.

This weekend brought so many wonderful things into my life.  Almost two years ago, with Larry and my children by my side, I made this life altering change.  Knowing that I would lose weight and get healthier, I forged ahead.  Along the way I fell in love.  I fell in love with people who understood my shortcomings and would laugh at me anyway, or - is it WITH me?!?!  Whatever.....:)  Well, yesterday was a culmination of all this work that you all aided me in.  As  I stood up on the Bima, (The stage at the synagogue), I looked out into the congregation and saw so many of my friends and family  And in the back of my VERY large sanctuary was sitting my newest family members, looking at my immediate family with awe. 

As I was sitting looking up at my daughter, poised, mature and confident, Larry asked me, "Who is that amazing young lady up there?"  If felt surreal and I relived many of her lifes moments, I felt my mom's arms on my shoulders as my heart filled with more pride then I ever knew I could feel.  When Josh became a Bar Mtizvah three years ago, I certainly felt pride, and didn't know what to expect, but Josh is a different kid than Molly, he is a generally confident kid with tons of friends and is more full of personailty.  Molly, as you have read, is a challenging young lady with many things against her, the LEAST of which is her diagnosis of Bi-polar disorder.  So, to sit back and watch her look as natural as she did, reading from our ancient scrolls and following in the tradition of our entire faith for thousands of years, was, well, I don't even have the words to write the emotion that I am feeling.  My mom was alive when the scroll she was reading from, was commissioned and we as a family helped write letters in the Torah.  To know that Molly and my mom touched the same sacred paper, helped a bit with her not sitting with me.  (My mom, not Molly)  But, as I said earlier, I absolutely felt her hands on my shoulders encouraging me to relax and enjoy the moments!

After the service as I was trying to get everything in order for the luncheon Nicole said something to me that I will never forget, she said, to be able to celebrate the love for our children is something she will always remember.  That it was nothing that she ever experienced or saw the way we did it.  What is funny, is that growing up in the Jewish Faith, it was, "What we did"  Not necesarily thought about more than tradition.  But to have so many of you to have experienced your first Major Jewish Lifecycle event for MY child, I will be forever greatful.  You trusted in me that it would at the least be a different experience, but to be sure to thank me, and tell me how much the service and the experience meant to all of you.....I can't thank YOU all enough.  From the people who were actually at the service, to all of you who have sent me your heartfelt congrats here online.....I am truly filled with gratitude.

One of the big moments in a Jewish celebration is when the person or persons of honor get lifted amongst the people dancing.  This stems from a tradition of the days when men and women at their wedding have not touched each other yet, and at their wedding, were both lifted on chairs, men on one side, women on the other, and they are given a cloth of some sort to hold between them.  (Other than my sister, this tradition has changed for most of the Jewish community)  Anyway - first they lifted Molly, we danced around her, then Emily and Josh took their turn.  Then, they came to Mommy....oy!  The last time I was lifted in a chair was Joshua's Bar Mitzvah in 2008, I was close to 300 pounds and was just as silly as I am now and made the joke that there were NOT enough men in the world who could lift me, of course, they did and I was up there thinking how challenging this must have been for the men holding me up.  Well, yesterday, there was NO FEAR whatsoever!  Julia even mentioned to me after how nice it must have been to be lifted and not have to worry - oh Julia.........truer words have NEVER been said!  I felt petit and pretty and confident that I would not be dropped or even too challenging for my friends to lift me!  I loved my dress, loved my make-up and hair, and loved my friends for supporting me all the way.

So, to end this VERY long and wordy commentary, I am truly kvelling, and can NOT thank you all enough for the thoughts, prayers, love, support and most importantly, I THINK.....is understanding.  It can get a bit frustrating to explain the momentous occasion of some of the Jewish traditions and you all let me go on and on and REALLY seemed to understand it.  Thank you all from the bottom of my, "MUCH HEALTHIER" heart.  I love you all
Nicole0216
on 2/13/11 9:00 am - Lancaster, PA
No thank you for letting us in. Showing us a true family of love even with all the hardships.
we are proud of you all, and bawling our NON JEW EYES OUT at the back of the sanctuary. LOL
Love YOU ALL
(deactivated member)
on 2/13/11 9:57 am
Two days in a row I have had tears in my eyes keep in mind jouful tears but I love you and thank you for sharing so much of your faith me and Dennis.  I was in awe yesterday and watching your family interact you could feel the love.

You know I understand Molly and she was the true star yesterday. Jill was there for sure and she was so proud of her.

I love you and your family ....
Lisa H.
on 2/13/11 8:32 pm - Whitehall, PA
Steffi...how wonderful everything was.  I was so honored when you introduced me to your father as his other daughter and to your cousins as their other cousin.  It was very sweet and heartfelt.  Even your sister said that we resembled each other in the face

I was so proud of Molly and all that she did to make the day her own.  She was beautiful, classy, poised, and perfect in every way.  I was extra proud of her for being able to separate herself from the crowd when she was overwhelmed. 

I even learned a few things attending this service.  I had never been to a reform Bat Mitzvah.  There were quite a bit of differences between your service and ours.  It was beautiful and very cool to hear so many explanations of what was going on. 

We were honored to be included in her special day.  We felt very much a part of your family and love you all so much.

My tracker

hers 

Liz R.
on 2/13/11 8:48 pm - Easton, PA
What a beautiful post! Sitting here misting up at my desk :)

You should be so proud of Molly and yourself!!!

So sorry we had to miss it :(

Love you Both!

Liz
bvohl
on 2/13/11 11:08 pm
Steffi,

It was an honor to be a part of Molly's Bat Mitzvah! The love and pride you share as a family was so evident. Molly was such a refined young woman and did a FANTASTIC job!! It was so special to be apart of this important life event.  So you should be kvelling, you have a wonderful family and GREAT kids to boot!!

Listening to you and Larry celebrate Molly was so touching. I was definitely "Vklemft" (sp)!!!

Mazel Tov!

We LOVE YOU!!!!

Love, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA