2 Weeks pre op and I need HELP!!!

Maureen F.
on 2/10/11 11:01 am - Essington, PA
I am 14 days pre-op and I need some help figuring out what kind of protein to get. I am currently using Body Fortress cho and I love it. But I need something else.......I have looked on-line and am more confused then before. Can anyone help me.....what taste good?....what has alot of protein?.....what am I allowed to have? I want to make sure I get it all in and that I am not stuck with just one option. Thanks all in advance, I am kinda freaking out a little bit!
HW-309      Surgery Weight - 283     GOAL-160

MedicAaron
on 2/10/11 3:31 pm - San Diego, CA
 Hey Maureen-

So I am currently in the midst of my first week of post op and am having the same questions when it comes to protein.  Initially I bought a big bag from Costco and the Premier Protein (30 gms of protein) that was already mixed and packaged into little boxes.  I liked the two brands of protein pre-op but immediately after my surgery, I cannot keep them down.  Seems like this is all trial and error as far as post op tastes go.

One thing that has been consistant and have been able to stay onboard are the Syntrax Nectasr.  I bought three tubs today and think that the flavors are awesome and they are easy on the pallet and the stomach.  The majority of the flavors can be mixed with crystal light so that enhances the flavor as well.  I think the protein content of the Nectars are 25 gms of Protein per serving.  The Chocolate Truffle and Vanilla Bean are really good for the creamy flavors.  The crystal sky tastes like a fruit punch and the Fuzzy Navel is like its alcoholic cohort.  They have a lot of different flavors and all of the for the most part are tasty.  Call 1-866-333-7403 Extension 803 and you can buy a sample pack of all their flavors for $13.00 which is a pretty good deal.

I bought a tub of Unjury today as a back up and a get out of jail free card.  I belive Unjury has 20 gms of Protein per serving which isnt bad.  It is unflavored so It can be mixed with a lot of different stuff.  You can mix it with jello, pudding, or juice and the consistancy remains unchanged for the most part.  I mixed a scoop with a packet of sugar free apple cider and about 6-8 ounces of water and it reminded me of unfiltered apple juice.  

Sorry, the Lortab is running strong so some stuff might not make sense but just drop me a line if you need clarification.

-Aaron
Cheryl.P
on 2/10/11 5:55 pm - Philadelphia, PA
i don't know you doctors rules, mine said no more than 2g of sugar per serving so be sure you check for that. i also love the syntrax, nectart ,fuzzy navel . in our area i know you can buy it at the vitamin shoppe on baltimore pike, its 2 blocks up from the springfield mall, next to qudoba.

my next favorite is the unflavored i get at gnc. a little milk,vanilla,cinnamon,splenda and blend it up .  you can mix it sweet or savory,hot or cold.  will tell you the word unflavored isn't true. it will still have a milky taste.

gnc also has a policy if you don't like it they will refund your money. and i found out the gnc on chester pike in sharon hill is an independently owned store so the guy can and will offer you discounts.

www.bariatriceating.com has a lot of protein shake recipes. maybe you could use that for some more ideas.
www.bariatrictv.com has episodes that you might find helpful.
lynnc99
on 2/10/11 8:43 pm
If you like Body Fortress....count your blessings! It's the least expensive option with good quality protein, and I like the fact that you can pick it up at WalMart so easily.

In general, I aim for a protein content of 20 gm. per serving (scoop). Mixed with skim milk, that gives 29 gm. of protein (actually more, because I usually use 12 oz. of skim milk).

I also like the GNC AMP Amplified Whey Protein. It is less sweet and a richer chocolate.

DO watch for very low sugar content. My dr. also says limit sugar to 2 gm. per serving. Stick with that and you will NOT get in trouble with sugar - whether dumping or craving it.

You can also mix protein powder into sugar free pudding.

At what point do you add pureed foods? That will open up some more flavor options for you.
Sansobel
on 2/10/11 10:23 pm - Coatesville, PA
carefull about stocking up now.  Some peoples taste change.  You may want to get samples for after post op and then decide.  Netrition and BE I think do sample packs. 

I personally love Syntrax from beginning till now.  But that is just me.  (especially there coffee one.. mmmm). 

Also what is your post op protein goal.  That may be a deciding point on which drink to get as well.   Since you will be sipping on these and trying to get your goal in.. I would think you would want a protein packed one over the others at first anyway.  

good luck
Sandra           
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 2/11/11 1:23 am

Sandra is absolutely right, do not stock up on anything.  You could love something one day, hate it the next or tolerate something one day and puke the next.  Your taste buds will change and your new stomach can get very finnicky.  Stock up on Samples of many different brands and flavors with no more than 2 gr. of sugar per serving, little to no fat, and NO caffeine at all. Your protein level for the day will be determined by your height. For a short time you will only be allowed to have clear liquids, so you need something you don't mind having in water.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Maureen F.
on 2/11/11 9:00 am - Essington, PA

@ Aaron, I am so sorry you feel like poop, I am not having a good time at it either. I am only in the 14 day pre-op. I have heard a lot of that about taste changing and I am trying to take that into consideration, but right now I am just bored with one flavor. My Doc has me on a 14 day diet of 2 shakes a day and one meal and it SUCKS. Thanks for the help and I was really wondering about the Nectar. Thanks I am going to go buy some tomorrow. Email me anytime you need help.

@ Cheryl, thanks. My docs rules are 20g or proteins, < 5g of fat and 5g of sugars. As far as after I need to get in 40-60 grams of proteins a day. I agree that I need to get in as much as I can with as little as I can. I am going to go to the vitamin shoppe tomorrow morning after the gym.

@ Lynn, thanks I agree that I am lucky to like that Body Fortress. It is cheaper and easy to find. I just wanted to look for a few more so I don’t get bored. I can do pureed foods at the 3-4 week mark.

@ Sandra and Onderland, I can’t thank you all enough for the assistance. I am just freaking out a little bit here. All this advice helps out so much and makes me calm. I hope that I can turn to all you guys again when I get stuck.

You all have been so helpful. I am so lucky to have been given the tool of this website and all the help that it provides. You are all wonderful and I am blessed to have you help me. Thanks again.

MO

HW-309      Surgery Weight - 283     GOAL-160

Sara E.
on 2/12/11 2:06 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
I love SlimFast Low Carb.  190 calories, 20 g protein, 2 g sugar.
It comes only in Milk Chocolate and it is only at Sam's Club around here.
Good luck!
Sara

jdruski
on 2/12/11 9:41 am - Philadelphia, PA
Maureen,

Best wishes to you.  As many of said your tastes are going to change after your surgery, so don't stock up on anything.  You will find what tastes good to you after.  I use Unjury, every morning since just after my surgery in 2006.  At this time I mix mine with my cold coffee but that in itself is a required taste.  Best of luck to you, you have come to the best forum that WLS and OH has to offer

Jeanne
Maureen F.
on 2/12/11 10:00 am - Essington, PA
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views