PLEASE HELP....

Nicole S.
on 2/8/11 4:36 am - York Haven, PA
I am a mom of 4....2 boys and 2 girls....ages 12, 9, 8, and 4

what is the down time after the surgery?

3 out of 4 of my kiddos are in school full time so I babysit 4 kids during the day...ages 1, 2, and kindergardners which are only here in the am.

I guess my ? is should I wait till school is out so that I have my 12 yr. olds help and I also babysit a teachers kid so I will down one in the summer...

I want the surgery as soon as possible but I dont want to compromise my recovery time.

Thanks!! :)

Surgery 355  / Current 246 / Goal 199.9

dit657
on 2/8/11 5:20 am - Boothwyn, PA
I had RNY so I'm not sure what the downtime is for lapband, but definitely give yourself several days following surgery to rest and regain your strength - it's still surgery, no matter what. Maybe check out the lapband board and see if anyone can answer your question - or call the surgeon's office and ask someone there. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to walk you through it.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Nicole S.
on 2/8/11 5:36 am - York Haven, PA
I guess I should have changed my avatar thingy....I had my lapband removed 3 months after I got it in may....i gained all my weight after i had the lapband removed and now have been approved for a revision to RNY.

dit657
on 2/8/11 8:47 pm - Boothwyn, PA
OK - now that makes sense! Well, like others said, if you're having RNY then give yourself plenty of time to recuperate. I went back to work after one week but I have a desk job and honestly that was too soon even though I was feeling really good - it took me months to really get my strength back. So do yourself a favor and set aside at least 2 weeks post-op to be on the safe side and really regain your strength. Your doctor will tell you your limitations, but take it easy.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
lynnc99
on 2/8/11 5:43 am
One consideration will be that after RNY, you cannot lift things for several weeks (the specific limit will be up to your doctor). So...lifting a 1 and 2 year old will be out of the question for a while.
Also, be sure to allow yourself time to get your strength and energy back. it is normal to feel tired and week for a while post op.

Maura M.
on 2/8/11 9:29 am - Yardley, PA
Lynn is right on the money - I felt fine to go back to work after a week, but I am able to sit at a desk and don't have to lift anything - running after kids and picking up a 1 year old would be tough - you most likely need the full 4-6 weeks before being back to work based on what you do...

Maura

Nicole0216
on 2/8/11 6:59 pm - Lancaster, PA
Your Doctor would be the best person to help you make this decision because they know what they will be doing to your insides and what the limitations are. I was out of work for 3 weeks and needed every minute of it and I dont have kids etc. You will need help doing alot of stuff initiallly just because the nature of the surgery itself.  Good luck and you wil make the right decision
chinasl45
on 2/8/11 9:28 pm - Harrisburg, PA
When I was deciding which surgery to have, the doctor told me that for RNY and VSG, you need between 4 to 6 weeks recovery time. He said surgery is surgery and eventhough you might feel good, your body still needs that downtime to start to heal properly.
PSW 268 and Height is 5'10, SW was 241.6, GW is 170, CW is 160   

lynnc99
on 2/9/11 12:05 am
Let me also add a thought or two...

Be sure to ALLOW yourself time to rest and recover. We tend to put everyone's needs first, and this is a time we need to be able to slow WAY down until we feel well.

You are likely to have some "twinges" of pain for up to 6 weeks out. These are easily managed with tylenol, but don't be surprised.

Bear in mind that most patients go forward without any difficulty or complications, but you need to have a margin built in for the "just in case" factor. Better to overestimate and be well enough to jump back into the routine early than to press too hard and realize you needed more time.
Nicole S.
on 2/9/11 2:22 am - York Haven, PA
Thanks everyone for the great advice.....I talked to hubby last night and I am gonna wait till the kiddos get out of school....it will be easier on everyone involved!! :) 

But I just thought of something.....how long is my approval good for?

Thanks again everyone...((((Hugs!!)))))

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views