OT I need advice have a decision to make

Nicole0216
on 2/1/11 11:02 pm - Lancaster, PA
I am at a loss and Jason and I just dont know how to make this decision. I am hoping the more people know the more advice we can get.

When I worked at TWP back when i first moved to Lancaster, they were very bad to me, and I ended up leaving and was able to file a discrimination suit with the PHRC. I even had a employment attorney who took my case for damages because she believes in it. 3 years later the PHRC has made no decision and we have a right to get a intent to sue letter. TWP has been threatening and not interested in trying to settle.

So the decisison is this. I can file suit and pay a possible $5,000 in deposition fees if needed and if I lose, be out that and will have to pay TWP fees? Which could also be about $5,000 that my attorney says is worst case scenario. If we file and win? I could be awarded $30-40,000. I just dont know if this is worth the risk? There are no gaurantees. Was he wrong?? Heck yes. Can we prove it? Yes. Do I have $10,000 to lose? NOt really. It is times like these I wish that I had parents that I could rely on for advice.
steffihope
on 2/1/11 11:27 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Nic - if they were wrong and the attorney is sure they can prove it - then hell yeah - go forward.  They are most likely hoping that the $10,000 will scare you from doing what you should.  I know it is a lot of money - but sometimes, people need to be held responsible for their actions.  Are you ready to hear some not so nice things they will probably say about you.  They will do what they have to to try to mke themselves in the right - you will have to hold strong and know what they did was wrong. I truly think some things are worth the money.  I truly hope you walk with your head high no matter what you chose to do! :)
Nicole0216
on 2/2/11 12:07 am - Lancaster, PA
That is the biggest thing for me. I am not a letigous person, but I lost alot of money, and self esteem working for them. If I could get back what I lost due to their abuse of me, I woudl be happy. I truly believe that he should be held responsible, he is an unethical and awful perso in many ways and this is just one of them. It is not even about getting money for me, it is about him being held responsible. The money I do worry about is what it will cost me? He has an attorney on his staff, it wont cost him much to fight me. I have to believe that my attorney would not be going forward with this suit and being willing to accept a % of damages as payment if she did not believe it was wrong and we have a shot.  I feel bad, because this is freaking jason out. I am way more whimsical and impulsive than he is.
steffihope
on 2/2/11 2:08 am - Philadelphia, PA
Whether you are a litigious person or not - it is NOT ok for someone, especially in your field, where there is a higher standard, to behave in an abusive way.  You will never be able to recoup the self he took from you, so, financially may be the only way to go.  Maybe this will wake him up and at the least let him know that you will not sit idly by and let him do this to others.  Obviously he has some issues himself.  And, the fact that he has an attorney on staff leads me to beleive that there are reasons for that, like there may have been something prior, or something within his business. 

What about this is freaking Jason out?  I think that the impulsviity would have happened a while ago - you are thinking your way through this - nothing impulsive I feel.  Good luck!
dit657
on 2/2/11 12:19 am - Boothwyn, PA
I personally have never experienced this myself, but my BFF was just served to testify on an old co-workers lawsuit against a firm they both worked for - its a discrimination suit and the girl who filed is black, my friend is white. This young lady has an excellent suit against this company, BUT, this has now gone on for more than 5 years - she won the original suit and was awarded extensive damages but of course the company is appealing and now they have to go through the entire process again...

It's a very long, tiring, stressful road to travel, Nic - if you decide to do it just make sure you are mentally prepared to take a beating from TWP, because they will come out swinging.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
(deactivated member)
on 2/2/11 12:21 am
Nicole,

Look deep into your heart and head to find the answer to this. Will you survive the loss of the money if you should lose the case?  If you win will the outcome make it better for not just you getting a monitarty settement but will it help someone in the future not be abused by this employer? Do you trust your attorney to win this for you? If the answers are yes then go for it girlfriend. 

I support you whatever way you turn on this road. I love you and hate that anyone could do this to you and take away your esteem.  
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 2/2/11 3:39 am

Be sure of what you would net from the possible $40,000

The attorney that handled my daughters accident case said I would get back the burial expenses on top of the settlement.  Wrong.  I received a few thousand, the lawyer got the rest.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

lynnc99
on 2/2/11 4:21 am
Our son is facing a decision about whether to litigate in a professional matter. The questions that have been suggested here are excellent ones (of course, good advice on the PA board).

He is dealing with the variables of...
1. Whether it is worth the mental stress on a daily basis.
2. What his ultimate gain would be. His lawyer also says he will win for sure.
3. Is there a compromise - in his case, there may be a workable compromise that allows him to go forward in a positive way.

If he does lititgate, he is banking on the fact that the other party is playing hardball, waiting for him to blink and step back. If he stands firm, the other party has a lot more to lose than he does.

Sansobel
on 2/2/11 5:02 am - Coatesville, PA
I agree with Beth.  You know the right answer for yourself!  Would losing the money and the case put you in a worse state?  Or would you feel justified still that you did your best to right a wrong? 

Good luck and your friends will support any decision you make.
Sandra           
R K.
on 2/2/11 7:06 am
The worlds best lawyer for an honest consult is Alice Ballard from Philly.

She handled a case I was involved in about 30 years ago. It was a contingency deal. She lost money we won some money, it lasted many years, it set a precedent and was heard in Federal Court.

If a lawyer tell you that your case is a slam dunk, run and run fast.

Why was there no follow up or actions taken by the PHRC??
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views