Quick Question

Maureen F.
on 1/25/11 3:57 am - Essington, PA
Can anyone tell me how long you were out of work? When I went to the informational session they told me like 6-8 weeks and now they are telling me 4 weeks. I am a paramedic and am required to lift and carry at least 150 lbs alone and 300 with a partner. I work in a heavily populated area and can run upto 12 calls in 12 hours with little to no rest. I just want to make sure that I do not hurt myself by going back to soon and I don**** to screw myself up with not having enough time off scheduled and not getting paid. Thanks for all assistance.
HW-309      Surgery Weight - 283     GOAL-160

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 1/25/11 6:12 am, edited 1/25/11 6:13 am
If you are having RNY or DS surgery you will be limited to 8# until cleared by your surgeon.  If you need to lift that much you will be out at least 8 weeks.  This is gut surgery, you don't want to strain yourself that early out. You also will be too tired to work a 12 hour shift in the first few months. You might be able to do part time for a short time until you build your strength back up.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

kgoeller
on 1/25/11 6:15 am - Doylestown, PA
Maureen,

I assume you're having the RNY done laparoscopically, rather than open... that makes a huge difference in recovery time.  Given the extreme physical requirements of your job, I would say to err on the side of the 6-8 weeks, to give the muscles time to fully heal, your body time to adjust to its new nutritional intake and requirements, and your organs time to be fully re-operational.  You really don't want to go back to early and end up with a hernia.

Additionally, taking the most time that you can (in time off and affordability) will allow you to focus on nutrition, exercise, and the lifestyle readjustments that will help you be successful in your new life.  This process is a lot like rehab... you'll be physically and literally detoxing in those first weeks from sugar, refined carbs, fats, etc., and will also be going through significant mental adjustment.  It's a time to really focus on YOU and setting up the new patterns that will lead to long-term success.

Karen
Liz R.
on 1/25/11 8:15 pm - Easton, PA
my BFF is an ER nurse and was told 6-8 weeks off the job.

Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views