OT: (Sort of...)

dit657
on 1/24/11 4:50 am - Boothwyn, PA
Question for everyone (mostly over 50!) - have you had a colonoscopy since having your RNY? I'm going to be (gulp) 54 this year and my doctor has been on me about having one. Between my RNY 3 years ago, then dealing with my mom and everything I just kept putting it off, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do that any longer, and I know I shouldn't.

The reason I'm asking is because I know the procedures you have to go through prior to having it done and cleansing your system, and not eating. And what has me concerned is when I don't eat now or get my proteins in I get the shakes and nauseau until I get some protein into me. It happened to me at the grocery store Saturday - I had eaten breakfast early and that was fine, but went to the store later and hadn't eaten and I was almost done shopping when it hit me. I had to grab a box of protein bars and open it and eat one while I was checking out to stop the shakes and nauseau.

So I'm wondering if this happens to anyone else and how I'm going to manage getting through this process in order to have a colonoscopy.

Thanks - Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
kgoeller
on 1/24/11 5:16 am - Doylestown, PA
Kathy,

First off, don't worry so much.  It's not all that bad, and you CAN have clear liquid things like jello (which is protein-rich), chicken broth, and similar things - just as long as they aren't colored red or orange.  The hardest part is getting all of the fluids in, frankly - I felt like I was literally sloshing by the end of the prep.  Just work with your GI doc and remind him of your "capacity" issue, and they will work with you on it.  

Good for you for following up with your preventative health care!  It's so important to do!

Karen
dit657
on 1/24/11 5:18 am - Boothwyn, PA
Cool - thanks. I'm not worried about the procedure itself, God knows I've had enough surgeries and probes done in my life - LOL! But I didn't realize you could have the clear liquids, so that will help. I remember how weak my mother used to get and I didn't think that would happen, but boy, when the shake**** they're nasty.

Jayne
on 1/24/11 9:25 am - Swiftwater, PA
Kathy,

Mine will be scheduled in the Spring......

Best of luck fo an uneventful 'prep'and procedure!
Cheryl.P
on 1/24/11 5:50 pm - Philadelphia, PA
if you can have clear liquids and if jello counts,try the new protein snacks by pure portein. they are a  no sugar ,high protein(23g) jello. i got mine at GNC. theyare ok and filling.
Liz R.
on 1/24/11 7:51 pm - Easton, PA
I had one done soon after Mia was born. The prep took longer to "activate" in my system so the Dr said next time I'll have to start it earlier, I wasn't cleaned out when they went to do it. I too get shaky if I don't eat but I was fine.

Good luck!
swedeville1
on 1/24/11 9:32 pm - Mount Pleasant, PA
Well unfortunately I know all to well about the prep work needed for Colonoscopys as Ive had six or seven of them over the past five years.  Yay me!  The day before you wont be allowed anything but clear liquid type things as long as they arent red or orange.  I would also agree that maybe go for the protien drink stuff to help get your protien in.  You will have to decide on when to take 2 dulcolax pills, usually either 2:00 4:00 or 6:00, depending on your schedule (ie you dont want to have to poop on your drive home from work).  Once you have your first BM you start to drink the go-lightly crap!  You keep drinking it until you are running clean... lol.  Regardless, you have to stop drinking it at midnight so I would suggest starting as early as you can with the laxitives.  They will give you four litres of the drink and you will most likely have to get through half of it to get cleaned out.  Hopefully you will get an early procedure time so you dont have to be awake and hungry all day waiting for it.  Honestly, the prep is the worst part of the whole thing. 
This is how I do it and your directions may be a little different but it should be close. 
Swede

HW=400  SW=383  CW=252  GW=240
Pounds to go=12!!!  Pounds Lost =148

EileenWalton
on 1/25/11 2:50 am
Hi Kathy.  I just had one over the summer.  Ask for the Miralax prep.  I was able to mix the entire bottle into a gallon of Crystal Light Ice Tea.  The Miralax is tasteless and so much easier to get down than Go Lightly (which is absolutely aweful).  I'm not a fan of jello so I ate (drank) beef and chicken broth, both of which have some protein.  Unfortunately, my procedure was scheduled for later in the day (seems they take the diabetics first).  I had no problem with not getting in my protein other than I was STARVING by the time I got out of there.  Good luck with the procedure.  I'm sure you'll be fine.
Eileen

dit657
on 1/25/11 2:52 am - Boothwyn, PA
Thanks Eileen, I'll ask for that - will probably get some of protein jello from GNC and I always have broth on hand so that'll work. Miss seeing you around the boards, but I know how busy life can get. Hope all is well with you...Kathy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views