Help, 3 months out RNY, can't eat

rlr120
on 1/24/11 3:40 am
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I am 3 months out from RNY and I can't seem to eat anything that I am suppose to be eating. No fish, chicken or anything that has protein and it doesn't matter how I make it. Seems like I can't eat any meats at all. I eat a lot of greek yogurt and sometimes that won't stay down either. I have been eating some soup and even that can be a challenge.

Then when I read the boards, it seems like the only few things I can eat are food I shouldn't be eating.

I don't know what to even try any more and I'm so afraid of messing this up!

Any advice???

Thanks
Robin
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/11 4:05 am
Robin,

When you say you cannot eat do you mean you get sick or it comes back up? If so I would check in with your doctors office to make sure you do not a stricture which can happen to some of us after surgery,

When you attempt the meats are they moist and soft? They can be hard right after surgery to eat but in time things get easier.
dit657
on 1/24/11 4:39 am - Boothwyn, PA
You don't say where you had your surgery - Barix had a plan to follow after surgery which helped ease you into eating proteins and other 'regular' foods - liquid to soft to pureed, etc. It was at least 6 months before I could tolerate meats, and then it was mostly ground beef - chicken, beef and even fish would get stuck - so that took me a long time - I was at least a year out before I could really tolerate things like steak and beef, and I still only eat the tenderest cuts.

Are you eating too fast? If you are eating too fast even things like yogurt or soup will back up on you. Are you not drinking 30 minutes before and after eating?

There's a ton of good help out here but it will help us if you're a little more specific about your eating habits, etc. - that way maybe we can tell you're just eating too fast, or it is something more serious like a stricture.

Oh, and do you have a nutritionist you're working with? That would be another great source of information. But you should be starting to eat a little better at this point - chew very slowly, make sure the meat is very, very moist (add broth or gravy if you have to).

You're not going to mess it up - but you need to figure out why you're not able to get your protein in - that's very important.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Liz R.
on 1/24/11 7:54 pm - Easton, PA
I know Dr Boorse has people jump into "real" foods pretty quickly. Try having your meats with broth or a low fat gravy added. If the problem persists give him a call and be seen, you could have a stricture. That's easily corrected but something that needs to be addressed.

Good Luck!!

What are you eating that you "shouldn't be" you are too early out to be pushing the limits. Greek yogurt and high protein soups are great options!
rlr120
on 1/24/11 9:08 pm
You guys are good! Yes Dr. Boorse...

When I mean I can't eat them, I end up throwing up all the time.

By bad foods, I seem to be able to eat carbs. Which I want to stay away from, but that's what I seem to keep down the best.

So thank you for the ideas. I'm going to try to eat slower (I thought I was, maybe not). Going to back off trying the meats so much and look for other options and drink more shakes. Maybe my belly just needs some more healing time. Also going to try to attend the next support group at LVH. With the holidays the last few months I wasn't able to get to any meetings. Maybe that will help too.

This has been so hard. I'm going to smack the next person that said I took the easy way out!  lol

-Robin
Liz R.
on 1/24/11 9:14 pm - Easton, PA
Robin - definately stay away from the carbs!! If they are sitting I would say that you are eating too fast or the food is too dry. I couldn't eat chicken breast for almost 2 years post op! I still have trouble with eggs from time to time at 4 years out.

LVH has a great support group, and well so do I! LOL i'll post about it soon but I do a cooking class / support group at my house just outside of Easton once a month. We'd love to have you.

For now I would try easier foods - soups, greek yogurt, eggs, maybe some ground meats.

Good luck and post away! :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views