OB/GYN

liz52408
on 1/17/11 11:29 pm
Can anyone recommend an OB/GYN in the York area that has experience with gastric bypass patients?  Also how long were you told to wait until getting pregnant after gastric bypass?  Thanks!

dit657
on 1/18/11 4:52 am - Boothwyn, PA

If you don't have an OB/GYN now I would just call around and ask. I've been seeing the same woman for 20+ years and honestly post-op there's no difference in the exams and all other than the fact that they're much easier when there's a lot less of you - LOL! Unless you're experiencing some difficulty or other female situation - maybe even ask your bypass surgeon if they can recommend someone.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Liz R.
on 1/18/11 7:32 am - Easton, PA
Hi There! I would ask co-workers or Moms in your area.

Surgeon's should recommend 18-24 months post or until you are at a stable weight for 6 months and have good blood work levels. Until then you should use 2 methods of birth control a barrier method (ie condoms) and a hormonal method (ie the pill).

I was told pre-op (at 327 pounds) that I would never conceive. I have PCOS with IR and was on meds for years. After sugery (2 years) I got the go ahead from my surgeon. I stopped my BC pills the end of January and was pregnant in April. Unfortunately that pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage at 11 weeks (blighted ovum) - that was June 19th. I was given the go ahead again in July and got pregnant in August! My beautiful baby girl is now a perfect active 8 month old!

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Liz
liz52408
on 1/19/11 12:44 am
Thanks!  I was told I have PCOS also, well atleast had it- they said it should be much easier for me to conceive after the weight loss.  I guess alot of the OB/GYN's have experience with weight loss surgery patients, since it seems like its more common now.  I just wanted to start going to one that had some type of experience with gastric bypass patients- for when I am ready to start the baby process!

Liz R.
on 1/18/11 7:35 am - Easton, PA
Oh and any OB you are comfortable with should be OK. There isn't that much different with us (our baby parts and our stomach araen't connected afterall! lol). WE just need to eat more smaller meals (I was told 1800-2000 calories, 90 grams of protein and 10o grams of carbs a day) I was monitored a bit more closely because of a med I was on but generally the only extra "attention" we need is bloodwoork ever 6 weeks to check vitamin levels.

I should add that it can be very dangerous to you and baby, not to mention detrimental to your weight loss to get preggo too early post op. If you body is still in ketosis (during the rapid weight loss phase) it is dangerous to fetal neural development (BRAIN, nerves etc)

Sorry that was long winded! lol
liz52408
on 1/19/11 12:46 am
thanks Liz- I definately want to wait until atleast 18 months or more to get pregnant.  Plus I would like to enjoy being at my goal weight for awhile too!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views