Celebrex

Chopper1
on 1/14/11 7:33 am
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any issues with taking Celebrex if you have had an RNY?

I appreciate the input.

Thanks much.
Geoff
:-) 

SPatel4
on 1/14/11 8:06 am - Levittown, PA
Geoff,
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis diagnosed at age 19. I went on Celebrex since it came into the marketplace then had RNY and my RA was in remission so was not taking it for a few years. I landed in the hospital in October and was prescribed Celebrex again. I have been taking it without prilosec or prevacid and my Rhumatologist monitors me every month. I have had no problems it's the only NSAID I have been able to take. It take 100mg twice daily on full stomach if that help you any.

-Shilpa

People comment on my over 100 pound weight loss and attribute it to my WILLpower, but it is my WANTpower: I WANT to be thin and healthy more than anything else! 

Chopper1
on 1/14/11 8:24 am
 Thanks for the input.  I will double check with the surgeon too.  I started to take it yesterday and wasn't sure if it was an NSAID.

Much appreciated

kgoeller
on 1/15/11 12:06 am - Doylestown, PA
Geoff,

Unlike Shilpa, I have a different story - I took Celebrex for a few months PRIOR to my surgery and it completely tore up my stomach and had me on the verge of an ulcer.  i wouldn't dare take it post-surgery without significant consultation with my surgeon and probably with specific other medications to counteract the effects.  I'm not sure whether it's technically an NSAID (but it probably is), but I do know that it's a known GI irritant for a lot of folks.  What I experienced (per my doc) was not unusual at all.

Good luck!

Karen
Chopper1
on 1/15/11 6:20 pm
 Thanks Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA