Depressed and making bad choices

Sandra160
on 1/13/11 11:53 am
Hi Everyone,  I hope everyone had a great holiday season.

I am 6 months out and I am feeling very depressed and lost.  I have lost 87 lbs, which is something to be very proud of which I am proud of me.  For some reason once I hit the half way mark of what I want to lose.  I became very depressed.  I have not been doing as much exercising as I usually do and I have been making poor food choices.  Which due to poor food choices, I learned I don't get the sugar dumping.  I so needed and wanted that to be apart of me for life so that I would make smart choices.  Anyway, help someone.  It's been two weeks and I really cannot get myself out of this.  I have began to make the right food choices again and I am back on my bike.  I am not gaining, in fact I have 3lbs through all this.  But this depression really has me.  Does anyone have advise for me?

Thanks All
Sandra  

Maura M.
on 1/13/11 1:41 pm - Yardley, PA
Sandra,

Am glad that you came here - the first step in getting yourself back on track is to "confess".  You have not come this far to turn back.  Your progress has been amazing and you should be so proud of yourself. I for one have been impressed with the level of discipline that you are capable of.  I also find that I view what are in reality minor indiscretions as being mortal sins becuase I know what it leads to and fear becoming the same person that I was. 

My first suggestion would be to get the tempting foods OUT of the house so that they are not available to you.  Some folks have found success with what they call a 5 day pouch test to recalibrate/detox and focus your habits back to the basics.  Next Wednesday is the post op support group, so you can come and be amonst those that know your struggles and can offer additional advice.

You can do it
You can do it
You can do it

xoxo,

Maura

Maura

Sandra160
on 1/14/11 7:40 am
Hi Maury,

Thanks for your words and support.  It means so very much and everyone *****plied really helped me.

What exactly is the  5 day pouch test to recalibrate/detox
Sandra  

Lisa H.
on 1/14/11 10:03 am - Whitehall, PA
www.5daypouchtest.com

My tracker

hers 

lynnc99
on 1/13/11 6:25 pm
Sandra, if depression holds on, get to a good therapist. At my pre op psych evaluation, the dr. Told me that depression can be very common starting about the 4th month. This has a physical, hormonal basis because of the rapid weight loss and the difficulty the endocrine system has "registering" the change in our bodies.

And I agree with Maura that a good support group is a great thing!
Cheryl.P
on 1/13/11 6:53 pm - Philadelphia, PA
i agree with lynn and maura.
here is how it was explained to me   Your fat cells store hormones,  and as you lose the fat the hormones are released. causing mood changes. on top of that your are mourning the loss of you best friend and comforter FOOD. now add on to that relationship changes (people who disapprove of surgery,and people who become jealous). now add to that the mood changes from lack of sunlight(seasonal affective disorder -which we all have to some degree) plus any other personal problems and family concerns and you get hit hard with depression.
try the other suggestions and add positive thinking, and keep reminding yourself you are Worth it, you are good, you have done well, you haven't gained any weight, you can do this,you will succeed,
see you wednesday at support group?

jojobear98
on 1/13/11 7:51 pm - Gettysburg, PA
NO BAD FOOD CHOICES IN THE HOUSE!

That can be your first step. Then you aren't even tempted. With the depression, see your PCP. You may need to take something for a little until your body adjusts.

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

Sandra160
on 1/14/11 12:03 am

Thank You everyone.  I really appreciate the support.  Just what I needed.  As I write this, my husband has begun taking all bad food choices out of the house, taking it to work. 

I will be at Wednesday support group meeting.  I did not go on the 1st and I really wished I had gone, because the meetings give you some kind of power and push and renew you.  Don't understand how it does that, but it does.

Maury, what is the 5 day pouch test? 

What would they give you at the PCP to help you through?

I already go and see a therapist as a family unit and individual basis when needed.  I believe they are necessary in life.  So many things good and bad, helps keep you balanced.

Sandra  

steffihope
on 1/14/11 1:53 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi honey - I am so sorry that you are feeling so down.  It does suck and IT IS REAL!  I know for me - I was already taking meds for PMDD (Severe PMS) and then after about 6-7 months I was a raving lunatic (More than usual)  I called my Gyno and told her that I think the meds were not working that well, she advised me that unless my metabolism was severly changed - there should not have beena problem with the meds - well....SURPRISE to her - my metabolism was significantly changed and we upped my meds by 50%.  I am a much happier person.  

As someone else said - and I aplogoze that I don't remember who it was -supposedly fat cells contain hormones and when we lose our weight, our hormones go beserk.  So - it is not abnormal to feel sad, blue or depressed.  Remember too, it is winter, and those of us who are affected by SAD can be hit even harder.  Finally, food was always our friend - we turned to food when bored, happy, sad, excited, etc.....we can no longer do that and we HAVE lost our friend.  It does hurt and it does affect us.  bottom line - we are addicts.  We need to accept that and make the changes to work through it.  I am VERY proud of you for having your husband remove the "bad ****"  Especially if you can't do it yourself.  I, too, suck at getting rid of the things that make me happy - well, not really happy - but NUMB!  

And remember - this entire way of life is a PROCESS....it is for learning and moving forward - you should be proud of the things you HAVE accomplished - and they have been A LOT!  Looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday!
kgoeller
on 1/14/11 2:07 am - Doylestown, PA
Sandra,

You've gotten some great advice ... print it out and reread it when you're feeling bleak.  Understand that what is happening is NORMAL and expected as part of this process, particularly for women who are being flooded with estrogen. 

Now is also a great time to read (or re-read) Anatomy of a Food Addiction (by Anne Katherine) to remind yourself of the chemical basis of the addiction you're fighting and why sometimes just removing the "bad foods" from your immediate presence isn't enough.  

See you next Wednesday, I hope... and in the meantime, HUGS and be patient with yourself.  

Karen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2676 views