Barix Question

sbrunell
on 1/13/11 1:13 am - Bensalem, PA
So I figured I would check w/ the Dr P patients....

Who have you selected as the Dr. P replacement?

Tara and I have to do it.

Sorry I have been away....been busy between 2 kids- each playing soccer and basketball....

my new way to stay active?   coaching...

my daughter's soccer I am the assistant....and we play Dads vs girls, indoor soccer
I am coaching my son's indoor soccer...that starts Sunday...will be interesting.  U/5.

Once in a while I get to sleep....

Anyway, who have you selected ?  I missed the Dr. P rush.....
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

kgoeller
on 1/13/11 1:18 am - Doylestown, PA
Hi Steve,

I haven't yet - I've been putting it off in my little world of denial.  ;-)

I'm waiting to hear feedback from some of the rest of the Dr. P orphans - what are you all thinking and why?

Karen
KELLY R.
on 1/13/11 1:44 am - PA
RNY on 04/04/12
Well, at the same time Dr. P left my hubbys insurance was altered slightly so I'm not sure that I'll still be able to get my surgery at Barix.  I spoke to the insurance dept at Barix last week and they were going to submit my info under Dr. Medvetz (whom I chose) and they're going to let me know as soon as they hear what my insurance is willing to cover.

I met with Dr. Marymor about 4 years ago, and although very nice and informative he (at the time) only really prefers to do OPEN RNY.  I've been researching and see that he's been doing some LAP RNY but not many, and that kind of worries me.  I DO NOT want an open procedure unless a complication were to arise during a LAP.  The chances for infection and the healing time are so much greater with an open procedure.

I've truly been questioning everything lately though; it just seems there is someone "upstairs" telling me not to do this by making things so much more difficult.  

I'm not as scared about the actual procedure as I am the day after through the first 6 months.  I've been trying to practive eating tiny bites lately and I just don't know how people do it.  I'm truly struggling with this and I'm just so afraid I'll lead a healthier yet miserable existence after it's all over.

Peace & Blessings... Kelly                                             

HW 292 / CW 191 / GW 130

bvohl
on 1/13/11 3:24 am
Kelly,

Do not give up!!! I also had a hard time getting approved. I had insurance issues as well as health issues that always seemed to get in the way. It took me over a year to have the surgery and I kept on wanting to give up, but hubby was there to cheer me on. I am glad now that I did not give up. I totally understand that you don't want to have an open procedure, I didn't want to either. I think that you go through all the bull**** to know whether or not you are in this for the long haul. If you get through all that, then you really want to go through with it!! Trust me, the first couple of months are tough, but once you start losing the weight, it is SO worth it!!

I am 19 months out and I have lost 130lbs!!!!!!

Let us know how you are doing. If you want you can PM me if you need a shoulder to cry on! I have been there!!!

((HUGS)) Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/11 2:54 am
I have not chosen my new Doctor as of yet but threw many conversations it seems Dr. Marymor maybe the way to go.
bvohl
on 1/13/11 3:17 am
Hi Steve,

I think I will be choosing Dr. Marymor. I have heard nothing but good things about him. I actually just saw Dr. P in December, so I don't need to make a decision until about April.

Good to see you posting again....

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

jojobear98
on 1/13/11 3:50 am - Gettysburg, PA
Apparently Dr. P was very much loved.

So this advice is coming from a WLS patient who IS NOT a Dr. P patient.

Once you are out of surgery, the visits with the surgeon themselves never benefitted me other than a pat on the back for a job well done.

All my concerns, questions, and issues were mostly adressed by the staff. (Nurses, NUTs, and support groups)

Although a great surgeon is hard to find, I hope people don't get discouraged by trying to find a "new surgeon" to replace Dr. P, and remember that no matter what, there are more resources out there than you can imagine to succeed with WLS.

I feel bad for those of you who had her and are feeling lost without her. But always have faith in yourself and your access to resources to ensure a sucessful future.........

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

Liz R.
on 1/13/11 4:01 am - Easton, PA
*LIKE*
SPatel4
on 1/13/11 4:58 am - Levittown, PA
We so need the "Like" button on OH. I agree 110% of what you said. I really loved Dr. P but felt that in the long term the support group and NUTS and other resources are what help me succeed long term.

-Shilpa

People comment on my over 100 pound weight loss and attribute it to my WILLpower, but it is my WANTpower: I WANT to be thin and healthy more than anything else! 

jojobear98
on 1/13/11 9:50 am - Gettysburg, PA
Thanks Liz & Shilpa

I just think people get caught up in their surgeon, when really, a surgeon does surgery. That's it.

Although a surgeon can support, encourage and be helpful.............it's the plethora of resources post surgery that ensure success.

I am living proof of that. and I guess I am just letting others know it doesn't have to be scary if your surgeon goes away. Mine did. Was I frustrated? Yeah.

But they are human, they have lives, and do what we all do.........move on to bigger and better things.

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views