Separating food and liquids question

Cherish F.
on 1/4/11 1:04 am - Philadelphia, PA

What was your surgeon's guideline?

My surgeon instructs us to stop drinking a half hour before eating and wait an hour after before drinking.

But, I could swear I heard someone at a Barix meeting say they're guideline was 10 minutes before and half an hour after.

Just curious where different surgeons fall on the subject.

~ Cherish

Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

Sansobel
on 1/4/11 1:33 am - Coatesville, PA
I think it really depends on your doctor.  i've heard several variations.  I was told no food an hour before or after.  I personally do 30 minutes prior and a minimum of 30 minutes after.  (depends on how thirsty I am)  but generally wait about an hour after.
Sandra           
Sara E.
on 1/4/11 1:45 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
Mine said 1/2 hour before & after.
That is what I do.

Sara

Cheryl.P
on 1/4/11 4:19 am - Philadelphia, PA

hi cherish,
on page 74 on of the "bible" the barix clinic gives out , under the on-track checklist is says there is a 5/30 rule avoiding fluids m5 minutes before and at least 30 minutes after a meal. hope this helps, but i have seen many different answers on the main boards.

Cherish F.
on 1/4/11 5:59 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for the responses guys.
That's pretty much been what I've been doing, 30 before and after. I do not that waiting anything less 30 after and I ffel crappy.
 Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

kgoeller
on 1/4/11 8:06 am - Doylestown, PA
Cherish,

I think the answer varies not only by surgeon, but also by how far out you are from surgery.  Early on, you want a much longer space between drinking and eating so as to not overload your newly sensitive pouch and./or stretch it out.  

Farther out, the 5/30 rule is the one I follow...  5 minutes before and 30 minutes after.

Whatever you follow, the key is to ensure that you're not drinking WHILE you're eating and that your pouch doesn't have liquid in it (before or after eating) that will cause whatever you eat to swell in the pouch.  You're also trying to keep from washing food out of your pouch too quickly, resulting in not getting all of the nutrients out of it and also becoming hungry too soon.

Karen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1893 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1989 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2675 views