Pre-op in a pickle

Mary B.
on 12/26/10 9:01 am
Im out in Montanafor the holidays, visiting my brother and his family.   They dont have anythign remotely healthy, its all snack food and soda.  I dont want to keep making bad choices but I dont have a car or the money right now to go to the store and buy things for myself (and I feel like that might seem rude, to just buy food for me).  Im trying to give some healthier options, but its 5 to one, and Im the only one who has to watch what I eat.   

Its pretty hard right now...I just dont know how to talk to them with out offending them, or seeming ungrateful for what they offer.

Any Ideas or help?
dit657
on 12/26/10 10:23 pm - Boothwyn, PA
I guess my first question would be do they know about your upcoming surgery? If they do then explaining to them your need for some healthier food shouldn't offend them. Ice water is available anywhere anytime and is free - add lemon juice if you don't like it plain. Try to get some fruit for yourself and either fresh or frozen veggies. If they're making chicken ask that some be put aside for you to grill or bake without sauce.

You have to start getting used to putting yourself first - when you have surgery you will have to have certain foods on band that you can eat - using the excuse that there's nothing healthy around won't cut it because there are going to be many foods you can't eat for a long time and maybe forever.

So start making your adjustments now - it will make things much easier down the road.

Best of luck to you.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Patricia R.
on 12/27/10 2:29 am - Perry, MI
Kathy's suggestions are right on the money.  See if you can talk to your brother privately about your diet, and surgery.  Ask if there is any way to get some yogurt and cottage cheese and some fresh fruit.  Explain that you must make drastic changes in your eating habits, even before the surgery.  If he loves you, he will want to help you get and stay healthy.

Be sure to express your gratitude for their hospitality and that you cherish your relationship with them, and that you do not want to offend them.  Be sure you have privacy with your brother, and be sure you express that you are not criticizing him or his wife, just that you have very specific dietary needs and that you want to succeed with the surgery.

If you are unable to get what you need, do your best to avoid fatty foods, and sugary foods, and when you get home explore your options for future trips, especially post-op.  Stock up on protein bars for when you travel.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1893 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1989 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2675 views