O/T this is a dog story so off the wall nothing cruel

LindaScrip
on 12/19/10 12:15 am
Two weeks ago a friend of mine called me to tell me his sister passed away suddenly and she had three dogs and one cat.  Lab 6 years old Oliver, Golden/Shepard 3 years old Olivia and a pit bull/mix Rudy 2 years old and a cat tuxedo female Tabitha.  I found a home for Rudy and ended up keeping Oliver and Olivia and Tabitha.  Yeah I know I'm crazy but after their losing Stacey I didn't have the heart to let them go.  Now let me mention that both dogs are extemely overweight. She fed them tons of food and treats.  Saturday night Heather and I decided to take Olivia out to Peddlers Village and she had a good time. People were coming up and petting her and I went into a store and when I came out Heather said to me mom you're never gonna believe what some ********aid about Olivia and I said what?  Some woman actually said to my daughter pointing to Olivia that someone needs to go to Jenny Craig.  I just looked at her and shook my head.  Some people need to keep their comments to themselves.  I mean I know these dogs need to lose weight and they will like we always said we didn't gain weight overnight and its not going to come off overnight but hell don't pick on a dog!  Its a shame Olivia didn't bite her ass.  That woman is so damn lucky she didn't say that to me instead of Heather. Can you imagine!
What a HAG!
marymazilla
on 12/19/10 1:35 am - GARDEN CITY, MI
more things are said in JUST!

She probably thought she was "JUST" being funny!

Your a good person. and those pets will repay you for your kindness with much love and a ton of tail wags. 

Sorry for the loss of you friend and your new pets human!

Happy Holidays !  my puppies!

"When we stop running away from the situation that is scary - that is the moment we discover how strong we really are. So, acknowledge your strength...rejoice in it...and start breathing in life, as the beautiful, strong soul (being) that you truly are." - Rachna Sirtaj.......Love & Peace

R K.
on 12/19/10 4:18 am
You know though I get frustrated when I see overweight dogs too. i usually bite my tongue though.
here's a great way to help a chubby dog without the dog feeling like it's starving. We've used the pumpkin diet on many rescue dogs.

http://www.caninesports.com/fatdogs.html
  1. People worry that their dogs will not get enough nutrition if they feed them less. Premium dog foods are packed with nutrients. If your dog is overweight, unless he has a hormonal problem (e.g. hypothyroidism), he is getting too much nutrition, and cutting back will not put him in jeopardy. Remember: just like humans, individual dogs vary in their metabolic rate and some dogs just need less food.

2. People don't know how to get their dogs to lose weight without all the side effects —begging, that sad-eyed look that says "I'm hungry", etc. Try the pumpkin diet. Reduce your dog's regular food by 33% and replace it with a 67% volume of canned pumpkin (not the kind with sugar and spices, ready-made for pies). For example, if you are currently feeding your dog 3 cups of food, you would instead feed him 2 cups of food and a whole cup of canned pumpkin. Dogs love the pumpkin—it has the texture of canned dog food, it provides vitamins and roughage, it makes them feel full (so they don't forage in the yard for leftovers), and they lose weight!
For snacks or treats use baby carrots instead of milk bones.
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
LindaScrip
on 12/19/10 10:39 am
thanks so much for the advice I feel them a couple of tablespoons of canned and 1/2 cupof Iams weight loss control and let them loose in the yard and they have a ball.  They are such kind, loving dogs and I kinda feel funny because I have three dogs of my own and they are not overweight.  Yes 5 dogs total there is a room with my name on it at the crazy bin just kidding I was going to let them get adopted but just couldn't bring myself to do it so I am known as the crazy lady with 5 dogs so be it.  But I saw some people's reaction to Olivia and wanted to say hey I didn't do this I just got her two weeks ago but you know what?  Why.  I love her for who she is not what and time will do the job.  Thanks so much for the pumpkin suggestion.  Someone actually said to me last night to feed them raw meat!  I said to him she is a dog not a tiger! Just pet my dog and keep your comments to yourself I feel like saying.
R K.
on 12/19/10 6:40 pm
BARF (bones and raw food)  is a great food program but to me time consuming. Did it years ago.. It is very healthy, no allergies and nice coat.

I always feel bad when I see fat dogs. I think because it is created b y humans.
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
Jayne
on 12/20/10 4:52 am - Swiftwater, PA
I understand where you are coming from..... I work with greyhound adoption and am always surprised with how 'expressively opinionated' the average person is when it comes to dogs that are out in public.    I bite my tongue when people say my hounds are underweight  (breed standard is to have a hint of 2-3 ribs showing)....and how abused they are.  (Two of our hounds never sawa race track!)  One woman scolded me for not having a coat on the dogs a month ago.  It was  mild day and I wasn't wearing a coat.  When I don't wear coat, my dogs don't either!

Sadly, labs have a tendency to gain weight...... my vet's chocolate lab is a prime example.    He packed on the pounds and finally was put on a no treat meal plan... well, the only treats he received were raw carrots.   Pleased to report that after two months, this pupper is looking good -- he even has a waistline.

Hang in there and give the puppers a hug from me......
LindaScrip
on 12/23/10 1:13 am
Thank you Jayne greyhounds are awesome!  I love their docile personalities I am proud to report Oliver lost 11 pounds and Olivia 13 in 2 1/2 weeks.  I feed them Iams weight control a cup with a couple of tablespoons of wet food One and no treats although I may do the raw carrots sounds like a good idea.  Oh I know labs and goldens do have a tendency to gain weight which is why I am careful with my 8 year old male golden whom I have had since puppyhood and my springer who is 11.  Whats the matter with you not having a coat on your dog!?  Kidding!  People have too much to comment on don't they?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2676 views