Well I am sure I will be hated more soon...

Shannon O.
on 12/13/10 11:22 pm - Reading, PA

Ok they are doing the office Christmas party at Maggiano's.  I have never been a huge fan of pasta... and now since WLS only kind I eat really is my Mac & Cheese and I over cook it so it doesn't make me sick and make it super protein packed...

I tried asking twice what they were going to serve to see if I would be able to eat anything and was told sausage and peppers, crackers and cheese, and all kinds of pasta... I know that they put a lot of sugar in their sauses so I can't even eat just the meat... so I emailed HR and my direct boss and told them I wasn't going because they wouldn't give me a straight answer on the food and after last year watching everyone eat and not me - well I'm not going to sit there and do that again.  Told them I would sit in the office and work till 5 and then go home.

Well, now HR has told everyone (yeah great right) the same people that always give me issues are now pointing and talking.  I can't help that my PCOS has been super bad lately but I am trying everything in my power to fight it so I don't have to go on meds... and I have never hid from people here that I have had gastric bypass... and well a stupid Christmas party isn't worth being sick later or the extra pounds... And there are 2 others that eat very low carb... So, I'm not the only one that is doing it...

I also have a huge issue that they are providing a TON of booze and then people will be driving home... but I didn't even put that in my email...

So I am again... hated... here... geez louise lol!

SPatel4
on 12/13/10 11:55 pm - Levittown, PA
Shannon,
I feel you pain. I have a holiday party that is scheduled on 12/16 and it's at a country club and they are providing the wine and beer. I am a one drink wonder especially after having WLS. I know my limits and will not drink but I look at most of these gathering as mingling and having a good time. Last year they had a fruit and cheese tray and I ate that. Went home had a protein shake and went to bed. I did not think of the party as something that I was deprived of. Go to the party and maybe just eat what you think you can tolerate. I just think that you need to have some adult time. I am sorry that the restaurant is not giving you a straight answer and agree that a lot of foods have hidden sugars but look at the holiday party as an opportunity to network and socialize. Don't think of it as deprivation but think of all the big asses people at work at going to have after all that pasta and booze. LOL

-Shilpa

People comment on my over 100 pound weight loss and attribute it to my WILLpower, but it is my WANTpower: I WANT to be thin and healthy more than anything else! 

Shannon O.
on 12/13/10 11:59 pm - Reading, PA
There isn't a single thing i can eat... not a thing... i called the place and asked... and last year they mocked me for 3 hours for not eating the crappy food... I would rather work because we are then off from then till the next Monday... and the checks will keep coming in and I will be behind again and get yelled at again for being behind..

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/10 12:04 am
I will be devil's advocate since the economy is not doing well many business have done away with Holiday gatherings so it is nice that your company is still doing this for the employees. I am sure that attendance is voluntary and most times since I have connections to the catering industry menus for events like this are set to what options you have to pick from.

Yet instead of just firing off an email you were not going to go why could you have not sent an email saying that you do have some eating restrictions could they arrange for your meal to be a plain chicken breast or something to that effect. Given advance notice almost all places will accommodate the request. It is all about the wording of the request.

As for the alcohol why it can be provided it is people's choice to choose to drink and make arrangements for driving or to make the wrong choice of driving.

In the end of it is your choose to attend or not but there is also a way to go about it so they understand in the future.
Shannon O.
on 12/14/10 12:30 am - Reading, PA

Well I asked yesterday before they finalized the menu to see if there would be something I could eat because they had told others that it would be all served family style.  They ignored me- and then as I walked away laughed at me. 

So, I asked today and the menu is set in stone there is nothing for me to eat.  Like I said I never hid from anyone here that I had gastric bypass, and I tried working with them this year about this before it got set in stone.  But no it isn't volunteery- you either go or work at the office- but they don't want anyone working.  And last year when I asked what was going to be served and found out that it wouldn't be anything I could eat I was told to my face to suck it up and either eat or shut it...

I just think the drinking part is socially irrsponsible when they know people have to then drive home and you can't bring a boy/girlfriend/hubby/wife... so that person is drinking and then driving home... just irks me... lol...

Lisa H.
on 12/14/10 12:33 am - Whitehall, PA
I can understand why the food can be an issue.  But, my thought is that if your company is willing to throw a holiday party, no matter where it is, an effort should be made to attend.  It shows that you are a team player and makes you look good, if nothing else.  If there is nothing there that you can eat, then you can eat ahead of time or afterwards and use it as a chance to network and socialize.  There have been multiple events that my company has thrown where I cannot eat anything.  I just make sure that I have something with me so I am not starving or tempted.  It is an opportunity for me to see the people I work with and talk with them outside the work place.  

Please take the opportunity to see the positive in this and try to overlook the negative aspects.

Regarding the booze.. that is their problem.  You do not have to take the weight of everything on you.

My tracker

hers 

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 12/14/10 1:46 am

I did not go to my companies party this year for several reasons ...

1. No one talks to me, makes it a long boring evening

2. If no one is talking to me, I'm grazing

3.  The food is not good, its all frozen banquet food that still has a chill on it when it comes out

4.  My boss stopped giving raises because of the economy, when asked why I wasn't attending I said, don't waste the meal money on me, if you can't afford to give raises, then don't waste the cost of food on me either. 

5. I have always been a team player, however, they don't want me to be one. So I stayed home. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Shannon O.
on 12/14/10 1:58 am - Reading, PA
see that would be the same for me too... no one is going to talk to me... no food I can eat... how is that even fun... and I would love for them to not spend money on stupid stuff like this and get me a PC that really works lol... or a raise... esp since I am under paid by about 10k a year... :)

Liz R.
on 12/14/10 1:57 am - Easton, PA
I would contact the restaurant directly and ask them to leave some sausage without sauce for you or bring a packed meal, that way you can still participate :)
Shannon O.
on 12/14/10 1:59 am - Reading, PA
If I want something different then I have to pay for it... and nothing outside allowed in... they won't help either... grrr...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2676 views