almond paste

kgoeller
on 12/13/10 10:15 am - Doylestown, PA
ok - so i made a shocking faux pas at cooking class and brought store-bought almond paste, which is apparently something like 70% sugar.  Yikes!  (I got good feedback on the resulting cookies, though, from non-WLSers.)

The conversation turned to what you do for SF almond paste.  First, I found an online source to buy it (it's made with maltitol) on Amazon.  
www.amazon.com/Sugar-Free-Marzipan-Gluten/dp/B0014F0U1O/ref= pd_rhf_p_t_1

Secondly (and probably better), I foudn a couple of recipes for making almond paste, all of which sound easily adaptable to SF.  Therefore, I will be trying (again) to make those almond macaroons at some point.

Recipes:
www.ellenskitchen.com/pantry/almpaste.html

Enjoy!
Karen
Liz R.
on 12/13/10 7:53 pm - Easton, PA
YAY! Thanks Karen!

Oh just so know know I believe there is a difference between almond paste and marzipan... it is slight but there is a differerence. Of course I Forget what it is though
Laureen S.
on 12/13/10 9:46 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Oh yum Karen, I will be trying to figure out how to make some good old fashion pignolli cookies. . .

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

kgoeller
on 12/14/10 12:26 pm - Doylestown, PA
ok, so almond paste and marzipan are NOT interchangeable terms:

Almond paste is made from ground almonds or almond meal and sugar, typically 50-55%, with a small amount of cooking oil, beaten eggs, heavy cream or corn syrup[1] added to bind the two ingredients. It is similar to marzipan but marzipan contains more sugar than almond paste, and often contains additional ingredients such as food preserves and food coloring. Almond paste has much less sugar, typically 50-55% compared to 75-85% sugar for marzipan of cheap quality (for comparison: Lübecker Marzipan contains 66% almonds). Almond paste is used as a filling in pastries, but it can also be found in chocolates and as a higher quality alternative to marzipan. In commercially manufactured almond paste, ground apricot or peach kernels are sometimes added to keep the cost down.

However, the recipe link i included in the first step includes instructions for preparing both (you prepare the almond paste first, then continue to additional steps if you want to make marzipan). 

Learning a lot more, so THANKS liz!

K.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2676 views