Colored "Sugar" - 2 failed attempts

Maura M.
on 12/12/10 1:06 am - Yardley, PA
So, you can color granulated sugar rather than buying it by using food coloriing and I have done this before... I tried it with Splenda and with Maltitol and it did not work in either case..

I tried blending it in a food processor, I tried the plastic bag method of "smooshing" in the color with both types - did not work.. got clumpy color blobs in both cases.

has anyone done this with success?  I am allergic to Stevia, so I can't try that one.. any other ideas?
Maura

lynnc99
on 12/12/10 1:13 am
Maura I asked my DH who is a professional baker. He suggests this.

He can't see a technical/chemical reason why maltitolcrystals won't work. But he advises No smooshing. Put in a ziploc with a lot of air, the crystals, and a few dropsofcolor, and shake.

Or alternately...

Try macaroon coconut, which is unsweetened. It is also called desiccated coconut. It can be colored by shaking in a ziploc bag with a few drops of food coloring. Again, be sure ther is lots of air in the bag. It isn't as fine as the crystals for sure, but can be finely chopped for a similar sprinkle effect.
Shannon O.
on 12/12/10 1:54 am - Reading, PA
when I have done it I have used color paste of sorts and not actual food color that is liquid... I also start to put it in with the eggs/butter and slowly work it through the dough... so some in with the butter/sugar and then the eggs, and then some with the flour... but I find the paste works sooo much better... I got it at michael's

Maura M.
on 12/12/10 5:24 am - Yardley, PA
Xylitol Crystals win - they color like sugar and look like sugar - used liquid food coloring and it is perfecto!!

Yeah!

I feel like my own version of Cooks Illustrated!
Maura

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2676 views