NEW SURGEONS at BARIX in LANGHORNE, PA

lynnc99
on 12/9/10 11:45 am
Wow Shannon, I am sorry to hear that you have had these difficulties with Barix.

As for the labs, I always ask the lab to send copies of everything to both doctors, and get a copy for myself too.

Where will you be switching to?
Shannon O.
on 12/10/10 3:31 am - Reading, PA

I do that every time I go... but stupid Quest can never get it right or they lose my results and I have to go back... that happened 7 times when I was pregnant with Annabelle... pregnant and fasting doesn't mix lol...

I am going to see if I can switch to Brader or might look into Leigh Valley or even Reading's Dr. Ku (think that is his name).... but I need to get my PCOS fixed... and I have called over a 100 times to get the paper work for my yearly blood work from Barix and they don't return my calls.  Just mail me the stupid piece of paper... grrr!  So, I am going to try to get this all done through my OBGYN on the 28th... before we switch to the new insurance....

lynnc99
on 12/10/10 4:41 am
Let me know what Dr. Brader's office tells you about switching over - I have considered that too, since I am right here in lanc. County, but have pretty much decided to stick with Barix. Still...it's so close!
Arlene E.
on 12/9/10 11:39 am - Philadelphia, PA

Hi Kelly

I am also a former patient of Dr. Marymor and though I had the open procedure, I feel like the others who have commented.  He is a totally competent surgeon and the most caring doctor I have ever dealt with.  While it is true that he has not done as many Laproscopic procedures as some of the other surgeons, I would not hesitate to recommend him.

Having my surgery at Barix with Dr. Marymor was a decision I will never regret.  The care and concern of all involved was superior.

Arlene 

KELLY R.
on 12/10/10 1:33 am - PA
RNY on 04/04/12
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I may go back and speak to Dr. Marymor again. I just really want to avoid an open procedure, more than anything because of the longer recovery and higher chances of infection. I appreciate everyones feedback though. Thanks again!!

Peace & Blessings... Kelly                                             

HW 292 / CW 191 / GW 130

Laureen S.
on 12/10/10 11:38 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Kelly,

I am late to this post, but wanted to weigh in on this issue. . . 

We all grow fond of the surgeon's who give us the gift of a new life, which happens post-WLS. . .  I am a patient of Dr. P, she is awesome and I will miss her.  I choose her, but I also choose Barix because of it's reputation for patient care.  While they are, as was discussed at our 1st Saturday meeting, when it was announced that Dr. Boe also was leaving, a business, their business is based on people like us needing a service that they provide, a service that continues to thrive, based on patients experiencing good outcomes and subsequently their reputation.  Since starting my journey over 3 years ago, surgeons come and gone and, sadly, that will probably not change overmuch.  But the nursing staff if pretty darn stable and the outcomes of their surgeon's are good enough that they are considered among the best places to go for Bariatric surgery.  A business does not grow unless it provides better than average services.  While Dr. Medvetz is an unknown factor to many of us "older post-WLS", as well as you who are just in the pre-surgical phase of things, you can be sure that Barix would not have hired her, if her credentials were not excellent, (1) because it would affect their standing and,(2), at least I hope and I really do believe, more importantly, because they care about the lives of their patients. 

Dr. Medvetz did come to introduce herself last month and she seemed very warm and caring, very Dr. Pupkova like and to be honest I think all the surgeons who have worked at Barix are a special breed.  So while I truly understand you fears and sorrow at finding out what is happening, give yourself the time meet with and discuss your fears with the two surgeons that are now operating at Barix.

I wish you nothing but the best and we are all here to support you as you choose this way of life.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

pennykid
on 12/13/10 10:44 am - PA
Kelly,

I, too, hope you'll give Barix and Dr. Marymour another chance.  I love Barix and feel I got top-notch care there.  Everyone---doctors, nurses, aides, therapists---all are completely in tune with the needs of bariatric patients.  I'm sorry to see Dr. Pupkova go, but we must all move forward in our lives and do what's best for us.  I may need to have my gallbladder out, and Dr. Marymour may do the surgery.  It will depend, of course, when I can get it scheduled, but I have no problem with him doing the surgery.  I know a lot of his patients, and they absolutely love him. 

Good luck to you with your decision!
Julia              
jojobear98
on 12/15/10 10:45 am - Gettysburg, PA
I didn't read all the other responses. And I didn't have surgery at Barix.

So, I am giving this a shot in the dark type of answer.......

WLS is taken seriously by facilities. Barix is well known in that area. I cannot imagine they would even consider taking on a physician that didn't meet standards.

Trust your heart, trust your facility, and good luck.

When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila & salt and give me a call!

Jeannine L.
on 12/15/10 9:57 pm - Dover, DE
Dr. Marymor performed my surgery 4 years ago. I went to my initial consultation not knowing if I wanted LAP or Open, but after meeting Dr. Marymor (who only performed Open procedures at that time) I knew I wanted him to perform my surgery. I had the Open procedure and have never regretted that decision. He also did such a good job stitching me up that my incision scar was nearly invisible. :-)

Coincidentally, his first day back at Barix was last Monday and he was doing surgery at the same time I was having my thigh lift and tummy tuck with Dr. Lam.  

Good luck! 
KELLY R.
on 12/15/10 10:46 pm - PA
RNY on 04/04/12
Thanks again everyone for your feedback... as it turns out the insurance my husband's company is changing to will only cover me 50% if I stay with Barix... and unfortunatly I just can't afford that right now. I am going to look into the bariatric program at Hahnemann in Philly which is where my husband works. If I get my surgery with them, they'll cover me 100%.

Peace & Blessings... Kelly                                             

HW 292 / CW 191 / GW 130

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2677 views