Addiction and help (long)

kgoeller
on 12/7/10 3:41 am - Doylestown, PA
Sara and Jill,

I think this is a fantastic idea.  I, too, have been journaling "in arrears" (when I've been journaling).  And I clearly see (now that you pointed it out) that that represents a change from what I was doing early on, when I was using the journaling and its calculations to come up with a plan for each day that was within goal.  That led to all kinds of tradeoffs and calculations - "well, if i really want this, then I'll have to forego that" kind of stuff.  And that's exactly what I need to get back to, at least for now.

THANKS!!!

Karen
Jayne
on 12/7/10 1:57 am - Swiftwater, PA

Karen,

I am in the same situation...the carby things and fatty things are the enemy.  I have realized that artificial sweeteners DO INDEED incite my appetite (whether real hunger or head hunger, who knows)  but I'm avoiding the splenda's, nutrasweets and sweetnlows. 

Night (after dinner) is the witching hour for me, too.   

I too have been struggling with stress and anzxiety for the past two years now.  When I discussed the concerns and how I felt the stress impacted my eating with my surgeon, I was told to manage it.  Taming the problem is my issue as well.  For me, I've been searching for answers for about a good 15 months now.   I don't have a restriction and discovered that my stoma was dilated (to the point where some sort of surgical intervention (at my expense) is appropropriate). 

My clothes still fit and I am up about 20 pounds.   I 'm working with a new chiropractor who has me moving again  --- and showing me the proper way to exercise.  We talk about nutrition, we talk about addiciton.   He is also concerned about the pH of the body...my pH is improving -- approaching 6 -7 on the scale.  In doing so, I'm feeling much better and some of the head hunger has gone by the wayside. 

Yes, the control issue is for a lifetime. and I'm scared ****less, too..... but we have hope, we have this group and we have our pouches/bands.    We are tough women and can do most anything we set our minds to.

I am also working through 'Anatomy of a Food Addiction' and would welcome a book discussion/study group. 

Hugs,

Jayne

kgoeller
on 12/7/10 11:30 am - Doylestown, PA
Hugs to you, too, Jayne.  We can fight this fight together. 

I'd be happy to see us pull together discussions around "anatomy" ... maybe we can work that out!

Karen
(deactivated member)
on 12/7/10 2:19 am
Wow it seems alot of us are dealing with the same thing.  I myself have been off track for 2 months now and I can't seem to get back into it.  I still exercise but I have emotional eating and I am finding myself back into the old routine trying to fix the problem.  It's also hard when the family thinks it been a year since the surgery that all their help with me is over with.  I try to tell them it's a life time procedure. 

Karen I just wanted to tell you that I am thinking and praying about you.  You have been  wonderful helping me out before.  I know you can do this and I thank you for your post, it seems it might help alot of us out right now.

Take care,
Pam
kgoeller
on 12/7/10 11:26 am - Doylestown, PA
Thank you, Pam.  We are all in this together and by walkign this path together we all are stronger.  So let's get back onto that wagon together, one step at a time. 

Karen
Nicole0216
on 12/7/10 5:00 am - Lancaster, PA
We never break habits we replace one for another. Habits can be our servant or our master
kgoeller
on 12/7/10 11:25 am - Doylestown, PA
What an important insight.  Wow.  So i guess the question comes down ultimately to making a good choice of habit to replace each of the "bad" old habits, eh?  Sounds simple, but definitely not!

Great food for thought!

karen
Maura M.
on 12/7/10 11:03 am - Yardley, PA
I honestly don't think that I can add anything more insightful than what has already been said.  I can only add that since you do not have malsorption, your accomplishments, tenacity and resolve are that much more amazing.  You have the capability to turn this around.  You know what has worked for you and can summon that same resolve again.  You have taken the first step and can continue the walk at the right pace.

xoxo,

Maura
Maura

kgoeller
on 12/7/10 11:30 am - Doylestown, PA
Thank you, Maura!
deebatt
on 12/8/10 6:59 am - Imperial (Pittsburgh), PA
Karen,
Thank you soo very much for your posting.... i feel like I myself wrote it,..  you are verbalizing what i am going thru now.  i've gained 10-15 pounds back and know that i have to get a grip and deal with it now before i get further out of control.   Seeing you post your struggles and affirmations has given me a kick in the arse, one so desperately needed to help me get back on track.  I need to get my mindset back to where it was when i went thru the surgery.  No excuses, just gotta do it..and i thank yoiu for helping me see that I am not alone in this.  

ok...im off to do some serious soul searching and try to find my inner strength.  I havent been around OH in a long time, so hopefully being back will help me return back to my roots and face my demons with this.

thanks and huggs.........we can do this!!!
~ Denise 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2677 views