Addiction and help (long)

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 12/6/10 9:39 pm
I totally understand and can only tell you, its a constant battle and needs a lot of self control which I have never had and have had to find.  I lose the battle a lot and then its back on track and constant talking to myself about self control.  There is strength in numbers so post and be accountable, this way you won't be a closet or hidden muncher.  It helps to put it out there.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

kgoeller
on 12/7/10 1:05 am - Doylestown, PA
Thank you, Nan.  I need to follow your example more and be strong about avoiding problematic situations for me.

Karen
bvohl
on 12/6/10 10:04 pm
Karen,

As many others have said, this post could have been written by me. I have not gained weight but I haven't lost anything either in the last six months. I have to go see Dr. P. next week and I am afraid that she is going to be disappointed in me!! I, too have a carb addiction. I also thought that I would have a harder time with sugar, but it is definitely the carbs that are the hard ones to kick!!

I  get bored with protein all the time! The carbs sneak their way in. I have also been under ALOT of stress, mostly financial and marital, which were intertwined. Things are starting to look a bit better but I need to get refocused on exercise. My life is SO busy these days that I cannot seem to fit it in. I have been spending some time on the Wii which is fun!

Karen, you are not alone! We are here for you. As you can tell, there are many of us in the same boat!! We are food addicts, plain and simple!! It will ALWAYS be a struggle!

Here comes love and hugs your way!

Love, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

kgoeller
on 12/7/10 1:06 am - Doylestown, PA
Thank you, Beth - love and hugs to you, too!
Arlene E.
on 12/7/10 12:03 am - Philadelphia, PA

I want to say to you, Karen, i you are so not alone with these struggles.   I have found so many of my pre surgery habits creeping back in and I am having constant conversations about my choices.   Lately on so many days, the bad ones are winning.  All I want to eat is carbs, carbs, carbs.  

Nicole's Back on Track sounds like something that I can definitely use, as well as some of the other tools here.

Thanks for this post.  I am not good about posting my feelings but feel very connected when I read others.  I, too, am going to my shelf now to get my copy of "Anatomy....

We can all fight this battle!

arlene 

kgoeller
on 12/7/10 1:07 am - Doylestown, PA
Thank you, Arlene... on the days when I feel like a failure and a fraud, it helps so much to know that I'm not alone (and therefore, not either of those things)!  We will continue to fight this battle together.

Karen
jastypes
on 12/7/10 12:19 am - Croydon, PA
Ugggg.  I am so right there with you.  If Nicole starts a group, I'm joining.  I'm working with a therapist to dig out some of the underlying crap that fuels my many addictions.  I'm working a 12-step program daily which is keeping me sober (6 months now!) but is not helping me control my eating so much.  This week I am eating holiday/financial stress.  Like carbs are gonna put $1,000 in my pocket.  LOL. 

I want to lose some weight, but so much more than that, I want to stop eating against my will.  I, like you, have a plan every morning.  I follow it -- until about 10 at night.  Then it's a freakin' free-for-all.  Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, and grab something to stuff in my face before going back to sleep. 

There is such a fine line for me between obsession/compulsion and just doing the right thing -- having a plan and making healthy food choices.  It is an every day challenge.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

kgoeller
on 12/7/10 1:11 am - Doylestown, PA
Thank you, Jill, for your honesty and your continued willingness to share your journey and your struggles.  Your posts over the past months have inspired me and helped me press on, and have given me the courage to honestly and openly share where I am, too. 

I agree with what you said.  While I would love to lose some weight (and yes, i have a number in my head), it's much more important to me to feel that I'm in the driver's seat when it comes to choices.  I hate, hate, hate when I'm actively doing something that i KNOW damned well I should not be doing, am fighting with myself (white knuckling, someone called it) and doing it anyway.  It IS a compulsion.  

We will continue to fight this together and to take it a step at a time, a day (or meal, or bite) at a time.  Hugs to you!

Karen
Sara E.
on 12/7/10 1:22 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
Karen,
Your posts are always insightful and touch us all.  We all "get it".  This is a constant battle and it is diffucult to stay on track.  I fell my OH family and my best friend help keep my accountable.  I am all for a back on track group...count me in.  When I found myself wanting to snack I went back to a "write it before you bite it" food diary...it works.
Sara

jastypes
on 12/7/10 3:31 am - Croydon, PA
Oh my God, what a concept!  Write it BEFORE you bite it!!!  I've been keeping a food diary, recording food after I eat it.  I keep it well hidden.  I wonder if taking the time to write something down BEFORE I put it in my mouth -- having to go get the journal; find a pen; write it -- would actually give me that pause or break in time to think about what I'm doing.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1991 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views