Any one use AGAVE as a sweetener?

Jayne
on 12/6/10 1:00 am - Swiftwater, PA

I've been recentlyy introduced to AGAVE in an effort to  cut down/eliminate artificial sweeteners.

It doesn't cause adverse sugar highs and is quite tasty in herbal tea.  (Oh yeah, I'm also avoidng all coffe/decaf because of the acidity.)

Liz R.
on 12/6/10 1:17 am - Easton, PA
I have but it is too close to sugar and makes me sick if I use too much
Lesley G.
on 12/6/10 1:19 am - Allegan, MI
I am not going to say what my opinion is, however, I would suggest that all WLS patients consult with a nutritionist before using this product. Please.
Jayne
on 12/6/10 1:44 am - Swiftwater, PA
HMM... no wonder it's so tasty. 

Thanks,
kgoeller
on 12/6/10 2:40 am - Doylestown, PA
Jayne,

A couple of articles that might help...

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/02/15/debunking-the-agave-myth/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jonny-bowden/debunking-the-blue-agave_b_450144.html

Depending on what your concern is with artificial sweeteners, there are some good choices out there, including maltitol (sugar alcohol) and stevia (natural plant-based sweetener), but it all depends on what you're looking for and what you're doing with it. 

Karen

Jayne
on 12/6/10 3:27 am - Swiftwater, PA
thanks Karen... Just looking to get away from 'man made' sweeteners... Goign to  try stevia.
kgoeller
on 12/6/10 4:40 am - Doylestown, PA
Cool.

The other natural (non man-made) sugar subs that are commonly found are:

erythriol
xylitol
maltitol (my favorite for general purpose sweetening)
isomalt
sorbitol

Each has their own unique properties in how you can cook with them, as does Stevia.  For example, I know that Stevia turns bitter when heated for a prolonged period, so you can't bake with it or use it in roasting or caramelizing. 

Maltitol, on the other hand, acts just like sugar when heated.  I've even made yummy cashew brittle with it!  Maltitol doesn't necessarily dissolve in room temp or cold liquids as readily as sugar, so when I'm making something like a non-cooked ice cream, I'll generally use Splenda or xylitol.

Baking with splenda dries out, so you have to add extra oil or applesauce to make up for it. 

It's the little things like that that you have to adjust.when working with them. 

Hope this helps!

Karen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2677 views