Health insurance question X-Post

RoseyNo
on 12/2/10 7:28 pm
Good morning,

Hey everyone...I've been MIA for a while.  I hope you all are doing well and enjoying life as I have been.  Time sure flies when you're having fun - lol

I just got my health insurance bill for next month, it went up to $438.15 for JUST ME!  Grrrrr.  When I inquired about obtaining healthcare through different carriers after my RNY (a year ago in August) they said they would not insure me because of my RNY - WHAT?  I'm healthier now than ever.  It was suggested I wait until I'm a year out and then start inquiring.  Well, I'm 16 months out now, so I'm ready to start inquiring again.

Question:  Does anyone know what insurance company or companies that might cover someone after they have had RNY?  Thanks for any leads.

TGIF

Liz R.
on 12/2/10 8:35 pm - Easton, PA
I have United HEalthcare and they never even questioned it when I switched. I was less then a year out.

Good luck!
chelebeth
on 12/2/10 10:01 pm - Danville, PA

I used to be a medical underwriter for insurance. The guidelines we had to follow were all in case of  possible complications from WLS.  First 3 years  post op we could not accept new policies  after that it was a rate increas for 5 years and 7 years post op.  Good luck I hope you are able to find a company with less strict guidelines.

CHELE    .....Nothing changes if nothing changes....
Life is short ...forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, 
laugh uncontrollably...
and never regret anything that made you smile.

bvohl
on 12/2/10 10:29 pm
Hey Stranger!

How have you been? I hope things are going well with you as well! Life is busier than ever, but what else is new? Keep in touch!!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

RoseyNo
on 12/3/10 12:10 am
Thanks for the response.  I'm contacting United Healthcare now, thanks for the lead.  Guess I'll have to start calling around to get information and quotes and find out if I can get coverage for less than I'm paying now.

Beth, I'm doing pretty good, thanks for asking.  I haven't been to Barix since summer, but hoping to get back for support and friendship.  Take care.

Debbie

R K.
on 12/3/10 2:56 am
http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

I don't have the info in front of me but if you have had continuous coverage for 18 months with no lapses longer then 60 days no pre existing conditions can be exempted.
Were you ever on COBRA or offered COBRA?
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
RoseyNo
on 12/4/10 8:49 pm
I've had continuous coverage for 18 months.  I was on COBRA 6 years ago for a short while.

R K.
on 12/6/10 10:27 pm
If that is the case there should be no exclusions. Check the link I posted it really great for finding a good price on insurance.
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
RoseyNo
on 12/7/10 2:00 am
Thanks for the replies.  No one will cover me because of my RNY.  So, guess I'll have to keep my Highmark Blue Shield at $438 a month. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2677 views