What is the deal with Dreamfields Pasta?

steffihope
on 11/29/10 12:03 am - Philadelphia, PA
So - I remember back in the beginning of my journey - many of you were discussing this pasta - well, I happened upon it yesterday at my market.  Why can we eat it and not regular pasta?  I do know it has a lot of protein in one serving, however, before I test my pouch, I want to make sure it is digestable for us.  Any insight would be great! 

Thanks! :)
kgoeller
on 11/29/10 12:14 am - Doylestown, PA
Steffi,

It has a lot of protein and much higher fiber than regular pasta.  I would suggest being careful what SHAPE you buy - i've heard of folks having problems with the long spaghetti style with the stoma if they haven't cut it into tiny pieces. 

I like it a lot - tastes great and no one in the family has complained about it.  I've also tried the rice pasta and the bean noodles (cellophane noodles) and they are great - cook them differently, but they are nice alternatives to traditional wheat pastas.

Karen
steffihope
on 11/29/10 12:17 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks - I got elbows and another smaller type pasta - what is it about this that we CAN eat it and NOT regular whole wheat pasta?  I am looking forward to Mac and Cheese! :)
kgoeller
on 11/29/10 12:23 am - Doylestown, PA
Well, technically you CAN eat regular whole wheat pasta, if you plan it into your nutrient intake.  But it's got far less protein and fiber, which means you are basically just getting carbs from it.  By adding in the extra insoluble fiber (which gets subtracted from the carbs to give you a lower "net carb" value) and the protein, the dreamfields is a more nutrient-rich (and thus "better") choice.  Couple that with low-fat cheese and milk which will add protein and you'll have a delicious mac and cheese!  

K.
steffihope
on 11/29/10 12:25 am - Philadelphia, PA
mmmmmmm.....now I just want to go home and make some....yes - I said it - I WANT TO MAKE SOME! :)  ha ha ha!  Thanks! :)  (f course I don't think I am home any night this week....well, Wednesday - but that is the first night of Hanukkah - so chicken and potato latkes it is! :)
(deactivated member)
on 11/29/10 12:22 am
Steffi,

I either use Dreamfields or Barilla plus both have added protein in them and plus I don't think the carb count is as high??? Total guess there.

I can tolerate both of them pretty good.
steffihope
on 11/29/10 12:26 am - Philadelphia, PA
I think you are right about the carb count.  I am looking forward to trying it!  I am also excited that ShopRite finally has things that I need - I found the quinoa last week - oh wait - I told you that already! :)
dit657
on 11/29/10 12:24 am - Boothwyn, PA
I use this pasta and its great - its also very lo-carb which makes it good for us as well. I don't particularly care for whole wheat pasta - first you can't cook them tender enough for my pouch, and secondly I just don't care for the taste - to me it has an after-taste - blech. But not the Dreamfields - that cooks like regular pasta - nice and tender, so you shouldn't have any problems with it.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
steffihope
on 11/29/10 12:26 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks - looking forward to trying it!  yummmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gmom62
on 11/29/10 12:56 am - Clifton Heights, PA

Other than ShopRite, any idea where else I might find it?  I know my Giant doesn't carry it or I would have found it by now.

Thanks.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2677 views