Top 10

amp173
on 11/23/10 10:56 pm - Pleasant Gap, PA
Hello PA board,
It's finally around the corner...My husband will be having bypass next Wednesday. What are the Top 10 things I'm going to forget to take with us?  What did you wish you had with you at the hospital but didn't.

Thanks for your help,
Amy

Banded 8/1/08 ~ Band to RNY 12/29/10                 

bvohl
on 11/24/10 12:10 am
Here are some things that I wish that I had at the hospital, don't know if I can think of ten?

comfy but supportive shoes to walk around in ( I used slippers, BIG mistake!!)
dont bother with ipod ( I was too out of it after surgery, then I didn't want to listen to anything)
if he needs a cpap machine, don't forget that! (Also make sure that it is clean inside and out!)
any important paperwork
some things to keep you busy since the surgery will take several hours and then hubby will probably sleep most of the day
I can't think of anything else because the nurses kept me so busy I didn't have time to think!!!

Good luck to hubby!!
Keep us updated...

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Lesley G.
on 11/24/10 12:38 am - Allegan, MI
I'm with Beth on the comfy shoes -- I brought Crocs, and yes they're ugly, but were much better for walking around in than slippers.
Definitely bring lip balm & moisturizer. Hospitals are DRY.
The hospital I went to gave us toiletries, but I felt better using my own toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant.
I also recommend bringing magazines that aren't too text-heavy. I couldn't do much reading with all those pain killers, but it was good to have something to look at when I was bored.

Best wishes for a successful surgery for your husband!
Lesley
Liz R.
on 11/24/10 1:31 am - Easton, PA
I disagree with Beth on one thing, I was SO glad that I had my i-pod. I had the room mate from Hell and needed to drown out her complaining, whining and loud obnoxious company.

Lip balm and hand lotion
magazines
comfy clothes - don't go for fashion, COMFY!
toiletries.

I also had to bring all my own medications

Good luck to hubby!
Sara E.
on 11/24/10 3:39 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
I did not like the protein shakes at the hospital.  They only had strawberry or caramel flavored.  I wish I would have had my own.  Also, they gave me SF jello and it was so sweet tasting.  My husband went out and bought me SF Jello cups and I could eat those OK.  That and comfy walking shoes...I used slippers and they were too slippy :)
Sara

kgoeller
on 11/25/10 8:35 am - Doylestown, PA
Amy,

Congrats to both of you and kudos for being so wonderfully supportive of him!

Don't forget...

- cell phone charger
- ditto to everyone else on the comfy and supportive shoes (ideally, pull on ones that you don't have to bend over to tie)
- pull-on pants with an elastic waistband that isn't too tight (he will be swollen for a few days at least, and won't like a lot of pressure on his tummy).
- his own pillow (nothing like trying to sleep on a hospital pillow!!)

Good luck!

Karen
IdaMae D.
on 11/26/10 7:18 pm - Philadelphia, PA

The one thing I found invaluable was two little pillows one for my tummy and the other one to put under my arm that had the IV in it, along with everything already mentioned.  

IdaMae

Cherish F.
on 11/29/10 5:13 am - Philadelphia, PA
Second and third your own pillow. It was a comfort to have something from home. Plus, I needed it for the ride home to hold over my belly.
Chapstick definitely.
Good luck to your husband!
 Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2677 views