dizzy and lightheadedness

alexanw1
on 11/19/10 7:49 pm - Morrisville, PA
I have been getting dizzy and light headed a lot lately and it seems to be getting worse. I had blood work done last week and PCP said that the cbc count was low so he wanted me to take the test again so it was not a lab error. I am taking Iron but maybe it is not absorbing.At first I thought it was a reaction to something I ate but this is lasting too long. Has anyone else had this problem?
alexanw1        
Shannon O.
on 11/19/10 9:12 pm - Reading, PA
I get that way when my blood presure is too low... but this could be from a number of things... redo that lab work ASAP!

Lisa H.
on 11/19/10 9:39 pm - Whitehall, PA
Redo the lab work, but also make sure you are staying hydrated.  I was having issues with that and realized that I was not getting in all of my DECAF liquids in a day.

I feel much better since I cut back on the caffeine and increased my water.

My tracker

hers 

jastypes
on 11/20/10 1:16 am - Croydon, PA
I'm not sure how far out you are, but I developed low blood sugars (rebound hypoglycemia) and I am 3 years out.  The symptoms include dizziness, lightheadedness and trembling/shaking.  Just a thought.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

alexanw1
on 11/20/10 6:46 pm - Morrisville, PA
Yes that sounds like it!! I am 15 months out and sometimes get the shakes for a little while then they go away. What did you do for this?
alexanw1        
jastypes
on 11/21/10 10:04 pm - Croydon, PA
I have to eat 6 small meals a day to avoid the blood sugar swings.  Also, I'm taking notice of what things or amounts might set it in motion.  For example, a whole sandwich is too much for me, and the sugar content in the bread will have me rebounding in a few hours, where 1/2 a sandwich is just fine.  I guess it's a process of learning what causes symptoms. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

kgoeller
on 11/21/10 8:44 am - Doylestown, PA
Alex,

There could be a number of things going on, ranging from anemia to reactive hypoglycemia.  First off, get the blood work done ASAP.  Secondly, keep a diary for a few days mapping when you are getting the symptoms in relation to when and what you eat or drink.  Share that with your doctor.

If it's always after you've had a "main" meal that is relatively heavy in white carbs, it could be reactive hypoglycemia, which seems pretty common in post-ops more than a year out.  If that's what it is, one way to combat it is to make sure that you're always balancing your intake of carbs with proteins (i.e., cheese with the cracker).  The protein will slow down the metabolism of the carb to minimize the blood sugar spikes that cause the dizziness.

If it's not seeming to be relative to eating/drinking, it could easily be anemia (low CBC) or low iron or B-12.  Your doc should be doign the full vitamin/mineral profile like Dr. P does - if you or he are not sure what that is, you can call Dr. P's office (she's still there through mid-December) and have her fax over the orders.  Most PCPs don't know what that full range of tests are, so it would be appropriate to get that data to them before Dr. P leaves.

You may need to adjust your B-12 supplementation (you are doing daily sublingual, right?), iron supplements, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Karen

alexanw1
on 11/21/10 6:57 pm - Morrisville, PA
I had several days of meals I should have left alone, fried eggs and fried fish and potatos also a fried omelet the next day. All this was after I had seen mt pcp for a physical and bloodwork ,the bloodwork showed a low cbc count and they sent me to a lab to make sure it was not their error. Well at the quest lab the woman who drew the blood put the wrong colored cap on the tube so the lab sent it bac****ested.I went in for my third testing so Quest could do another blood draw on Fri. I am hoping to hear from my pcp by Tues.
I am feeling a bit better the last 2 days, plenty of fluids and very carefull about what I eat and eating the right portions. Will post back on how this all plays out. Love Willie
alexanw1        
alittle110
on 11/26/10 11:53 am - Bucks County, PA
This recently happened to me. I am 5 months out but It was happening just after my 3 month appointment. Dr. P gave me a script for acarbose and that helped me reduce the lightheadedness. I have since gone off of the meds and am doing fine. I just stay away from grapes :o)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2677 views