Dr. Pupkova

kgoeller
on 11/18/10 1:57 am - Doylestown, PA
While I was thrilled to see Dr. Pupkova at the Barix support meeting last night, it was also with a very heavy heart.  She was there to confirm that she is leaving, dispel some rumors, and to say "see you later" to so many who dearly love her.  

First, she wanted to dispel a rumor that she had inadvertently started herself.  As many of you know, English is her second language.  She was discussing part of her reason for leaving being that she had "lost" some patients recently -- what she meant was that due to insurance processing and referral problems, she had been unable to work with those patients, and the continuing trend in that direction meant that it was not financially feasible for her to continue working at Barix.  What people HEARD was that "some patients had died"... she was mortified when she realized that was how people were hearing what she had said, and she wanted to set the record straight.  No one has died!

Second, she wanted to encourage all of her friends to keep in touch with her.  She will be in Paducah, KY, but is keeping her same cell number.  Her email address is [email protected]

Due to a non-compete agreement with Barix, she will not be able to have any of her current patients as patients for the next 2 years and cannot practice in this region during that time.  However, she said that she does regard us all as friends and hopes that we will be able and willing to call her, email her, and keep in touch.

She will also be contacting some of her patients about providing before-after pictures and/or testimonials, as she will have to build her portfolio for prospective patients "from scratch."  

I, for one, will be so sorry to see her leave this area.  We are losing a highly skilled surgeon but - more importantly - an amazingly caring and wonderful person.  

Karen
dit657
on 11/18/10 2:15 am - Boothwyn, PA
Even tho Dr P was not my surgeon I know how much a part of Barix and so many lives on these boards she has been part of, and I am very sad to hear she is leaving.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
bvohl
on 11/18/10 3:43 am
Karen,

Thank you for posting this information. Last nights meeting was VERY bittersweet! It was nice to know that we have positively affected her life as she has affected ours. As one of her patients, she guided me in the right direction and I will be eternally grateful to her for giving me this tool!

As we said last night, what other doctor do you know that will hug you? Or give you her PERSONAL cell phone number to call? No one I know. One of my other friends had bariatric surgery at another facility. She was not cared for the way I was when I was newly post op. Dr. P was in to check on me daily and those nurses are FABULOUS!! I am surprised that my friend didn't have more complications post surgery. I guess she was lucky in that way, but I was luckier because I had Dr. P and Barix to go to. All I can say is THANK GOD for support group twice a month or I would be lost!!

A BIG THANKS to Dr. P for showing us the way to a whole new, healthier life!!

I for one will miss you!! I do get to see you on the 14th for my checkup!! YEAH ME!!!!!!

Beth V.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/10 2:19 am, edited 11/18/10 2:19 am
Karen,

I heard that I missed a very bittersweet meeting last night. When Dennis arrived home last evening Lesley was still there so he got to tell both of us about Dr. Pupkova's touching talk. I think he even teared a moment in telling us about everything. She is a great surgeon but she has gifted all of us that had her as our surgeon with a wonderful tool for life to maintain our health.

Thank you for your re-cap of an amazing evening,
Sandra160
on 11/18/10 2:31 am

I will miss Dr. P  very much.  I was glad I was there last night at the same time it was very sad.  Losing her is a great lose to the hospital.

pennykid
on 11/18/10 4:00 am - PA
When is she leaving?  I have an appointment with her on Dec 7, but I keep worrying that they scheduled me with one of the other docs.  Both Paul and I think very highly of her, and we hate to see her go. 
Julia              
kgoeller
on 11/18/10 4:19 am - Doylestown, PA
Julia,

She's here until mid-December (13th or 14th at least).  You should be good, if you're scheduled directly with her.

k.
lynnc99
on 11/18/10 7:50 am
Dennis asked last night if anyone wanted to share a story about Dr. P. I didn't speak up, but will share my story here.

After surgery, I had a hard time waking up. Apparently I am very sensitive to anesthesia, and in combination with the pain meds, I was r-e-a-l-l-y under. But the recovery nurses brought me up to the floor nonetheless.

My vital signs were not good. I was aware of everything going on around me, and knew that I was not breathing well and was cyanotic. The nurses called Dr. P. up to the floor. One nurse said that she remembered why she left "regular" hospital nursing - she didn't like patients in crisis.

She took one look and made the entire recovery team come up, as well as the anesthesiologist (surgeries were done for the day by that time). Her words were these (now picture her saying this): "WHY WAS MY PATIENT BROUGHT TO HER ROOM IN THIS CONDITION????"

Long story short, I had an injection to counteract the pain meds (which meant that I felt pain). No pain pump for me. A CPAP machine for 2 hours to regulate my breathing. Lots of attention for several hours, I tell ya.

And when it was over, it was over. Mike told me later how impressed he was with the way Dr. P. took charge and held everyone's feet to the fire.

That's exactly the kind of doc I want in my corner!!!
bvohl
on 11/18/10 10:26 am
WOW Lynn!! I had no idea that you had such a rough time in the beginning! Glad that Dr. P was your doctor and took care of you as she does with all of her patients!

Thanks for sharing ......

Beth

P.S. It was nice seeing you last night!!
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Maura M.
on 11/18/10 10:34 am - Yardley, PA
I have my 1 year check up with her on 12/13 - am so glad that I was able to get an appt.

Does OH magazine do doctor profiles?  think we could get some testimonials together with some before an after pics and submit it?  Lynn - wanna pen an intro?
Maura

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views