Overcoming obstacles

Lslaven
on 11/15/10 9:42 pm, edited 11/15/10 9:43 pm - Philadelphia, PA

I have been having a terrible time, probably since 6 months after surgery, getting motivated to exercise.  As I mentioned in one of the exercise threads, I could not find anything I enjoyed as much as sitting on the sofa and so I did nothing. 

Well, I thought long and hard about this, and I finally found something I like much better than sitting on the couch and that is health.  I was very sick before surgery and vowed that I would never go back there.  So, I have turned over a new leaf.  I ride my recumbant bike, every day, for 40-45 minutes.  As some know, I am a nurse and work 12 1/2 hour days and 1 1/2 hours travel.  Needless to say, I am tired when I get home.  To overcome this, I get up at 4:00 a.m. and ride the bike before work.  I hate this when the alarm goes off, but it does give me more energy. 

So, I have overcome one obstacle......now I must work on the many other bad habits that I have left creep back in like drinking with meals, pretzel addiction, diet soda addiction and not eating slowly anymore. I also need to fit in weight training as this will help to burn more calories.  Oh well, baby steps Linda, one day at a time!

Linda

dit657
on 11/16/10 12:05 am - Boothwyn, PA
Baby steps are right, and for a while I was getting up that early to work out then stopped, thinking I would do it at night, and guess what? I'm NOT doing it at night, so I guess its back to the early alarm and getting on my bike and getting moving. I love my recumbant bike and my music, so there's no excuse for me not to do it either.

I'm not too bad about drinking with meals - definitely way too many carbs back in my diet - don't care for diet soda but have taken a liking to white wines and really need to stop those!

Welcome back - we're so close in our surgery dates and I think this is a tough time for a lot of WLS'ers.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
lynnc99
on 11/16/10 5:26 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views