Reflecting on "Addiction"

Laureen S.
on 11/10/10 8:21 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Please substitue food in your reading of this as the "substance" of what we used (though for some of us, there were multiple addictions throughout our lives)

Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.
--Anonymous

One of the biggest problems of addiction began with the initial desire to increase and continue to use an addictive substance. All of us who have gotten to the point of overdoing the consumption of a substance were basically, in some manner, filling a need to be what we thought was "normal" like other people.

We were convinced we were unworthy, inadequate, afraid, and lonely whenever we compared ourselves to others. We disconnected and isolated ourselves, not only from our peers, but also from our own real selves. We lived in a world of fantasy.

Our problem was more than a physical hunger for the things that made us dependent. It was also not dealing with crazy thinking, self-defeating behavior, and screwed-up emotions.

Today, I'll remember addiction is two-fold: one was my substance use and the other was an irrational thinking problem. 

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jastypes
on 11/10/10 10:11 pm - Croydon, PA
Well now, that would be my story in a nutshell.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

kgoeller
on 11/10/10 10:26 pm - Doylestown, PA
Thank you for this timely reminder, Laureen.  It's right on the money for me right now.

K.
Arlene E.
on 11/11/10 2:05 am - Philadelphia, PA

Thanks Laureen - good one!  I enjoy reviewing these every day.

arlene 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1991 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views