Barix Clinic in Laghorne, PA

Mjoithomas
on 11/8/10 4:10 am - Folcroft, PA
Hello,

Does anyone have any information on the surgeons at the Barix Clinic in Langhorne PA?  i am going there for a consultation next week and wanted to get some information from a patients point of view.

Thanks!
cleos_mom
on 11/8/10 4:26 am - phila., PA
Hi, there are 3 surgeons at Barix
Dr. Pupkova
Dr. Boe
Dr. Medvetz

my surgeon is Dr. Pupkova and of ocuyrse I can sing her praises loudly , I just love her.

and the other 2 surgeons are also very good . everyone loves their own surgeon for whatever personal reasons that we have. Thta is why we chose the Dr.  taht we did but all the surgeons at Barix are excellent so it really doesnt matter which one you choose and as for the nursing staff they are all #1.

Good Luck with your consultation
Susan
spirit56
on 11/8/10 5:31 am - Philadelphia, PA
I also agree with Susan.  I had Dr. Boe as my surgeon and would recommend him highly.  I know that Dr. Pupkova's patients adore her.  Don't know too much about Dr. Medvetz because she is relatively new to Barix.  The hospital is top notch and the nursing staff are awesome.  We also have support groups available.  pre-op on the 2nd Tuesday of the month; (7 to 8:30) post-op on the 3rd Wednesday of the month; (7 to 8:30) pre and post op on the 1st Saturday of the month (11 to 1:30)

Good luck with your consult.

Donna
Maura M.
on 11/8/10 5:39 am - Yardley, PA

I too am a Barix patient and can't say enough.  They helped me through insurance issues, scheduling, had the best nurses and I too am a patient of Doctor Pupkova's and just lover her to pieces.  Any doctor that gives you her cell # because she is going on vacation the week after your surgery and wants to make sure she is available to me and calls herself for follow up after my release is a-ok in my book.

While everyones success rate is different, I can tell you that in 11 months I have hit my weight loss goal, am at a normal BMI, have the support that I need from a wonderful wonderful group of leaders that avail themselves to us, and access to supportive group of fellow patients (on here and in support group meetings) that share their experiences and are very open.  I haven't felt this good in 20 years!

Is that enough of a ringing endorsement?  The docs and the nurses are top notch.

Glad to came here to ask.  You should attend one of the pre-op support group meetings - Susan (that posted above) leads that group - I think you would find it very beneficial!

Good luck with your journey and congratulations on taking the first step!

Maura

Maura

SPatel4
on 11/8/10 5:46 am - Levittown, PA
Hi there! I just wanted to echo Susan's sentiment. I also had Dr. Pupkova she as well as Dr. Boe are excellent surgeons the other doctor that Susan mentioned is relatively new for Barix but Barix centers choose their Bariatric Surgeons very carefully and all their services and nursing staff is excellent. I have had nothing but good things to say about Barix Clinics but do your research on your surgeon and have a list of questions ready when you go for your appointment. Any other questions or concerns as far as  what to expect post-ops this board will be an excellent resource for you. I wish you much luck in whatever doctor you decide to go with.

Any questions or concerns please ask. We are more than generous with our opinions. LOL

-Shilpa

People comment on my over 100 pound weight loss and attribute it to my WILLpower, but it is my WANTpower: I WANT to be thin and healthy more than anything else! 

steffihope
on 11/8/10 5:56 am - Philadelphia, PA
YEAH....What everyone else said!!!!!!  HEE HEE HEE!  I too am a Pupkova, Barix Baby - and even chose my plastic surgeon based on having it at Barix as I knew it would be the best place for the after care.  The support and love I have received from there and here over the last 19 months have been immeasurable!  Good luck and keep us up to date!
dit657
on 11/8/10 7:25 am - Boothwyn, PA
Welcome. Always great to see a new member on here.

When I decided to have surgery I knew I wanted a place that specialized in weight loss surgery - I found Barix on line and couldn't believe my good fortune to have one so close to home.

When I went for my initial consultation Dr Boe was the surgeon who spoke to our group then met with each if us individually. I immediately felt comfortable and confident in him - that being said I'm sure I would have felt the same way about Dr P.

Do your homework - this is a great place to start - research the subject on line and definitely schedule a consultation.

Wish you all the best. Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
kgoeller
on 11/8/10 10:12 am - Doylestown, PA
You've already heard from some of our "regulars"... I, too, am a Barix Baby, with Dr. Pupkova.

I chose Barix because with their sole specialty of weight-loss surgery, I felt that they (all the staff, docs, nursing staff, etc.) would know all of the details and possible issues of WLS better than anyone else.  From an infection perspective, I also liked the idea that all of the patients were there for the same reason - they were healthy, non-contagious, adults. 

My interactions with them from day 1 have been positive and supportive.  Their support groups, documentation (the "barix bible"), nutritionists, etc., have been critical factors in my ongoing journey.

I had an odd complication during my surgery (totally unrelated to RNY).  Dr. Pupkova did EXACTLY the right thing- she was conservative in the choice she made in order to preserve my health and my choices.  She was unfailingly supportive and there from the moment I woke up, through my referrals and subsequent work with oncologists to get a clean bill of health.  Even though I'm not a "typical" RNY patient, she's continued to work with me very positively and supportively.  I'm a huge fan of hers and very thankful of the way in which she handled my surgery and the aftermath.

The support groups at Barix are an amazing group of people - positive, welcoming, knowledgeable, and supportive.  They have become mainstays of my successing, and dear friends as well.  I strongly encourage you to come to some of our meetings and have your questions answered by "real" post-op patients who volunteer as leaders.   Our next meeting is tomorrow night at 7 PM in the lobby of Barix.  It's completely free - and open to everyone.  There's no obligation to use Barix or have a commitment to have surgery.  Many people use it as a way to gauge whether this is the right solution for them.  I hope we'll see you there.

Welcome!

Karen
Laureen S.
on 11/8/10 7:44 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Jumping in here to sing the praises of Barix and the surgeons there!  Don't think there is a better place, not to say there are not other good places, but Barix specializes in bariatric surgery and therefore knows exactly what is necessary to do the job right and from consult to after-care, they are with you every step of the way in a very supportive and friendly environment.  Their surgeons are excellent, their nurses are wonderful and the staff helpful.  What more can you want.  Oh and support, well Barix has a great support group that meets several times a month, it is free and the people who volunteer their time to do it, have all had weightloss surgery.

Best wishes as you begin your journey!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jastypes
on 11/8/10 9:44 pm - Croydon, PA
I had surgery at Barix by Dr. Pupkova on May 31, 2007.  From my first phone call up to my last follow up visit it was an awesome experience.  We're like family!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1991 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views