Low Blood Sugar

jastypes
on 11/7/10 10:23 pm - Croydon, PA
Has this happened to anyone?  I was wondering if "dumping syndrome" truly is medical hypoglycemia rather than just a sick feeling.  On Saturday, I ate a larger than normal dinner.  It was Bill's family's thanksgiving and I had a little of everything, including a sliver of carrot cake with icing.  I didn't think the sugar was enough to make me dump.  3 hours later, I had that sick, low blood sugar feeling.  I grabbed my son's glucose monitor and, indeed, my blood sugar had dropped to 51.  No wonder I felt horrible.  I had to eat a piece of peanut butter bread and drink a little regular soda to get my sugar back to normal. 

Just trying to get some feedback.  I'm pretty sure I'll be skipping dessert in the future, just in case.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

mistyshadows
on 11/7/10 10:42 pm
 I had a nice reply all typed out, but I lost it somehow.   The summary of it was to check on the RNY forum for Reactive Hypoglycemia and/or Late Dumping Syndrome.  What you describe sounds like reactive hypoglycemia and seems to becoming common among RNY folks that are a few years out.
dit657
on 11/7/10 11:05 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Sounds more like low blood sugar than dumping - I experience both and with dumping I get severe stomach cramps, shaky, nauseaus, want to curl up in a fetal-position-and-die feeling. When my blood sugar drops from not eating I get shaky and sweaty, but not so much nausaus as weak - and as soon as I eat protein I'm fine. If  you had the peanut butter it sounds more like low blood sugar.

And step away from the carrot cake - that is never good regardless!!  LOL!!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Laureen S.
on 11/7/10 11:11 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Jill as others have said it does sound like reactive hypoglycemia, however, what brings that on for me is two things, one is eating sugar laden things (and I seldom have more than a finger size sliver) or not having eaten.  When eating carbs (sugars) in particular, it is important to have a protein source as that often offsets the problem.  So not sure how soon after you had your sliver, but that might have been the issue, a piece of cheese or some nuts will usually level me off when such things happen.

When I do indulge in desserts, I take the icing off, as that is usually loaded with sugar, but also if it is a fruit filled item, that too is loaded with sugar. . .

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 11/7/10 11:41 pm
Dumping is usually associated with needing to take a nap to sleep it off, clammy feeling, sweating, diarhea, vomiting, foamies, cramping, etc. Since you took your blood, you know it was not dumping.  You did infact experience a sugar swing. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

FlourPower
on 11/9/10 5:17 am - PA
I have passed out two times due to low blood sugar.  I find that my blood sugar is getting low more often and at my next appointment I need to talk to my doctor about it.  At times it gets down into the 30's...and that' not good!!  My first indication that my BS is getting low is a wave of heat comes over me..my palms start to sweat and then I get a light headed feeling...and dizzy.  I get VERY sleepy and just want to lay and be miserable.....usually with the fan blowing on me.  I never have stomach cramps...ever.  If I eat something it's usually a yogurt or some peanut butter crackers and about a half hour will go by and I'll really feel better....of course I also usually fall asleep...LOL!!  I know this isn't normal and like I said I'm going to talk to the Dr. about it.

[

Pam Hart
on 11/9/10 1:18 pm - Easton, PA
Yea def sounds like reactive hypoglycemia...big big issue in ppl 2+ yrs out.  It sucks.  Make sure you are very aware of carb and protein intake!
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1991 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views