Calling all Dr. Brader Patients!!

Alynn35
on 1/20/09 1:57 am - Lancaster, PA
Hello everyone!! Well I got my surgery date it will be march 3, 09. I wasn't scared until I actually heard the date. I mean it is just like once I was actually given a date the fear just kick in full speed. I know from reading the boards that it is nothing unusual to be scared. It's just I knew it was going to happen,  but it just didnt seem truly real until now. All of Dr. Braders staff have been wonderful and informative. They have explained everything to me, but I would love to hear from some of you about what I can expect the day of surgery and shortly following. I would like to know how painful your experience was, if you had any problems, and anything that I should know to prepare myself for. Thanks for your help and support in advance!!

April

Maw_Maw1961
on 1/20/09 2:02 am - Richmond/Katy, TX
CONGRATULATIONS!
Liz R.
on 1/20/09 2:04 am - Easton, PA
Congrats on getting a date!! Dr Brader and staff are second to none! They are teriffic! I had my surgery just about 2 years ago when he was still at Barix. It was a very pleasant experience - I had very little pain and only took the pain meds at home maybe 2 times to help me sleep. Just follow their directions, just remember to walk walk walk sip sip sip and you'll heal more quickly and with less pain from teh gas!

Best of luck!!

Liz
Kathleen W.
on 2/12/09 9:56 pm - Lancaster, PA
Thank you for your posting. I've been trying to find out about Dr. Brader.  I went to his seminar this past Wednesday and an appointment with him on Wednesday, March 6,2009. From what you and others have said, Dr, Brader  is excellent at what he does.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Nicole0216
on 1/20/09 3:11 am - Lancaster, PA
Hi I am a Dr. Brader patient and he did my surgery when he was at Barix
I  also live in lancaster, so I would be happy to be a surgery angel for you, when you have your surgery,.
the staff will give yo u instructions follow them and you will be prepared as possible
Alynn35
on 1/22/09 5:20 am - Lancaster, PA
Thanks Nicole!!
That sounds very nice. Could you just explain to me what that means? I am new on here so please forgive me.

April

Nicole0216
on 1/22/09 5:44 am - Lancaster, PA
A Surgery Angel basically stays in contact with you through your surgery, sometimes they come check on you in the hospital if possible. They report back to the board how you are doing. that type of thing
Alynn35
on 2/3/09 3:30 am - Lancaster, PA
Oh that is so nice. I would truly appreciate that Nicole. I am really glad that I was told about this site. I have learned so much. It is great that evryone is so eager to help others along there way.
Thanks!!!

April

Dennis Belk
on 1/20/09 3:46 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi,
I'm also a member of the Brader Bunch back from his Barix days. I'll be 4 years in April and could not be more pleased from the experience. The day I got my date was indeed emotional and I did cry but they were happy tears you get from working so hard to get to a place and then finally seeing it just ahead. The few days before surgery were also emotional with my family & friends coming from far and wide to be with me. The day of the surgery was my day of confidence and assuredness.  All nervousness had left and I was ready. Dr. Brader performed the RNY laparoscopically in about 1hr & 20 min., my recovery went well, my pain was managed the 1st day and had little the 2nd day. I did experience gas discomfort the 2nd day but at discharge the 3rd day I was fine and feeling good. I left that day without my type II diabetes or my hypertension. I went on to lose 150 lbs and sleep apnea. Enough can't be said about Dr. Brader. He is without question, the best there is and he goes on to show it everyday. His staff at Lancaster General is tops and they all participated in this group's PA Pilgrimage (a yearly WLS retreat) last May as featured speakers our opening night  in Lancaster.  With all the skills he has he still remains modest and gives his patients and others all the credit, but his words resonate in our heads everyday. I know many of his patients and he treats us as individuals and gives each of us what we need to succeed. My life changed for the better the day I met Alan Brader and yours will too.

Dennis
Pam Hart
on 1/20/09 4:16 am - Easton, PA
I'm not a Brader Baby but wanted to say congratulations.  Like you said - it's "normal" to feel nervous - but from here on in, try to understand you will have no idea what any of it is like until you are there!  Everyone is different and thus experiences - but at least you can get a general idea for things.  Hang on for one WILD ride!!!

Everyone has given you great advice and stories thus far.  I also had my surgery at Barix, under a different surgeon (pupkova)  Barix makes a HUGE deal about getting you up and walking and let me tell you - it was the BEST thing ever.  Get up as soon as they let you and keep getting up even if they don't tell you to.  Walk walk walk.  It helps the healing, it helps the muscle movement, it helps the gas pain - it just plain helps!

Good luck!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1991 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views