Endometrial Biopsy (Ladies Only)

EileenWalton
on 1/19/09 11:13 pm
Has anyone had this done?  I am scheduled to have this procedure on Thursday morning.  Just wondering what to expect.  Also, will I be able to go to work afterwards?
Eileen

Jan K.
on 1/21/09 1:19 pm - Was Jenkintown, PA but now NYC, PA
Hi Eileen,

Been missing you.   I used to have these every three to six months for about two years or so.  Yes, that's right every 3 to 6 months for 2 years!  Actually whenever I go for a a pap my OB does one because I have funky cells (pre-cancerous as well as having hyperdisplasia).  Anyway, it is all part of my exam . . .  all the standard looking up my address and then an extra in and scrap.  There's a feeling of instant cramping and of course a bit of bleeding but then it goes away.  Some folks end up with cramps for a little while, say like a couple of hours.  I never did and I have never taken anything for 'discomfort.'  It wasn't ever as bad as full blown cramps. 

Okay this is way TMI

Jan
         You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
                                                                                 --Mahatma Ghandi 
                                 Celebrate Life, L'Chaim, Peace, Shalom

DianeMarie
on 1/19/09 11:17 pm - Delmont, PA
Hi Eileen!

I'm sure others might be able to give you more detail than me.  I've never had that kind of biopsy done before but I've had several other procedures there and none of them kept me down.  I've had a through and through one done where they put a large needle through to get a sample.  I had a d&c done in the office.  As I understand most are just scrapings and you get up and go after.  The needle one was the worst but I was able to get around after.

I know you'll get the answers you are looking for here.  This is such a great resource.

Good luck!

Diane

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
Laureen S.
on 1/19/09 11:18 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Eileen,

It's been a while (about 6 years), but I believe I did have that done, it is uncomfortable while being done and you might experience some cramping afterwards, but I went from work and then returned to work, but I'm not sure if the procedure is the same as what you are having done.  Perhaps Pam, someone who has had it done more recently or another "professional" will know exactly for sure.  Good luck and I miss you lady, hope to see you soon.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

tammypa
on 1/19/09 11:18 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Eileen,
I had this done quite a few years ago. I had just a few minor cramps after it was done, which Tylenol took care of.
My aunt had it done and had a lot of pain .
I think you will need to just wing it and see how u feel when the procedure is over.
Good luck,
Tammy
Liz R.
on 1/19/09 11:38 pm - Easton, PA
My Aunt just had this done I believe and she said that she was uncomfortable afterwards and had bad cramping with her next period. Her Dr told her to take advil before she went so I am sure you could take tylenol as a little preventative medicine. Hope that all works out well!

Liz
Lesley G.
on 1/19/09 11:48 pm - Allegan, MI
I had one done not that long ago.  It will pinch like hell and be very uncomfortable, but yes, you should be able to go to work afterward.  I did.  I can say that it was over pretty quickly, and doing some good yoga breathing helped me through it.  I also definitely recommend taking some advil afterward, or whatever your doctor recommends.  Good luck with it.

Lesley
EileenWalton
on 1/20/09 12:00 am
Thanks everyone.  I guess I will play it by ear.  I have a fairly high pain tolerance level so I will be optimistic and expect to be able to go to work.  Wish me luck!!!
Eileen

Pam Hart
on 1/20/09 4:21 am - Easton, PA
I had a procedure done a few years ago - I'm not sure at this point in time if it was cervical or endometrial, and sadly enough, I'm not even sure if those two are categorized together or separtely (some nurse I am!)

I did have some discomfort during the procedure - not clawing at the walls discomfort.

However, I had a "large" amount of bleeding afterwards and some killer cramps.  My pain tolerance is decent - with the exception of cramps. For whatever reason, they take me down like no tomorrow.  I would rather have gastric bypass monthly than have my friend and her cramps visit me to give you an idea.  I've been that way since puberty.

The reason they suggest ibuprofin for most of these procedures is because it helps with inflammation and what not.  Tylenol doesn't do that as well.  I understand the reasoning behind not taking motrin/ibuprofin/advil as gastric bypass patients.  However (and this is me being the bad patient) I would probably go on pepcid  for a couple of days before and after, eat something before the procedure and take some advil.  Just because I'm a wuss when it comes to female problems.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
EileenWalton
on 1/20/09 4:24 am
Thanks for the suggestions.  They did suggest Motrin, but I didn't think I could take it.  I will take the Advil and hope it works.  I'll try to eat a little something before also.  I'll let you know how I make out.
Eileen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1991 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views