OT Face Book

Pam Hart
on 1/19/09 4:59 am - Easton, PA
Ok...so at LIz's house we got on the subject of Face Book and who was on it and what not.  I said I had an account but have never really used it.  That sparked a "what name are you under" conversation...and I didn't even know that.

I am under:

Pam Podeszwa

Feel free to add me or do whatever it is you do on facebook.

I will attempt to get more savy at it on Sunday....and while I am in North Carolina I will be visiting my early 20 something year old cousin who I am fairly certain has a facebook account so maybe she could give me an in person demo.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Nicole0216
on 1/19/09 6:43 am - Lancaster, PA
i am on face book and would love to see you on it

where in NC are you going? I kept meaning to ask. Since i am
from NC of course I am curious
Pam Hart
on 1/19/09 5:42 pm - Easton, PA
Grandy, NC....the outer banks
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Mike M.
on 1/19/09 6:48 am - Langhorne, PA
Interesting timing, Pam.  I've been meaning to post something about Facebook for a while now but I keep shying away because I know that I am going to offend some people.  That is really not my intention but I just know it's going to happen.  People always seem to take what I say personally.  Hey, who knew I was the rock star around here, right?  LOL  ;-)  J/K  At any rate, here goes:

Many of my WLS friends have asked me if I am on Facebook.  The simple answer is "yes," I am on Facebook.  However, as I have explained to a couple of people, I set up a Facebook account to reconnect with old friends from high school and college and allow easy access to some of my family members.  My girlfriend isn't even one of my Facebook friends.  Facebook is something that, quite simply, I've chosen to do for me.  My profile is public so just about anyone can see what I'm up to but I've made a conscious decision NOT to publicize my WLS on Facebook. 

WLS, to me, is a very personal thing and I would hope that my decision is respected.  That being said, I added a few fellow WLSers as Facebook friends and then got slammed with friend requests from MANY other fellow WLSers.  I want you all to know that I respect each and every one of you but I will most likely politely decline these requests. I'd simply prefer to maintain my relationships with my WLS friends (even though I certainly view most you as more that “just" a WLS friend) on OH and use my Facebook account strictly to keep in touch with family and old friends. My concern is that, one slip of the "cyber tongue" or one comment on a status update, photo, etc. and I might have to answer a million questions from someone that, frankly, I don't care to discuss my WLS with.  If you really understand Facebook, you know that it's not hard to jump to someone's profile, photo album, personal information... whatever... and you don't even have to be their friend.  If the profile is public, you can be a friend of a friend of a friend and you could easily have access to this information off of someone else's "Wall."

So, to put this to bed... I am NOT a Facebook snob.  LOL  I'm just trying to compartmentalize different aspects of my life for the time being.  Who knows?  Down the road I might change my mind about this and start requesting all of you as Facebook friends.  But, until then, I just ask that my decision be respected and the requests slow down.

Thanks everyone... I truly appreciate it.

Mike
Mike M.
on 1/19/09 6:48 am - Langhorne, PA
No idea what's up with the font.  Sorry about that...
Dennis Belk
on 1/19/09 8:56 am - Philadelphia, PA
No slamming here Mike. I get it and respect it.

Dennis
Mike M.
on 1/19/09 9:05 am - Langhorne, PA
Thanks Dennis... I truly appreciate that.
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/09 9:18 am
It shouldn't offend anyone, Mike.  We are all entitled to our own way of dealing with the fact that we had WLS with "outside" people as we see fit.  And, I actually feel the same way you do.  I was very reluctant to get on facebook because of the fact that I do not want my co-workers knowing.  And really, I don't want my HS and college friends/classmates knowing either.  Its none of their business.  I did choose to tell a few people at work about my surgery...actually about 7 people know...but I never made it public knowledge and want to keep it that way.  However, I am not on FB to find people from my past.....I kept in touch with the ones I wanted to and if I didn't, there was a reason...I just like to be able to see what every one i know now is up to.  Although, I am stil finding it a bit overwhelming with all the gifts and passing of drinks and stuff....They make my head spin LOL  I had to stop accepting them because they were slowing down my system and making my computer freeze up!  :( 

Ok...I am getting my driveway blown by a neighbor...I want to go watch.....later!!

HG
dawgpound215
on 1/21/09 6:17 am - Philadelphia Area, PA
 Did you just say you wanna watch your neighbor blow ? LOL   sorry people sometimes I cant resist.

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/09 12:26 pm

boys!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1991 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views