UPMC Insurance & Lap Band

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/09 1:12 am - Pittsburgh, PA
All, looking for some real time person advice on UPMC Insurance and getting the Lap Band. I know they cover it and all, and the requirments, but what is your experience? How are they toward weight gain during the six months (1lb vs. 4lb. month to month). Any and all advice would be helpful.

Thank you,
tinkerinky
on 1/19/09 2:41 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi!  I have the UPMC HMO.  I also had the RNY.  But, I did gain a total of I think about 4 pounds, because of the insulin that they had added during that time.  They didn't give me a hard time at all.  Since the doctor I went to had put that into the paperwork when they submitted for aproval.
  277 Start weight   160 current weight 155 goal weight    
newmeplease
on 1/19/09 2:43 pm, edited 1/19/09 2:43 pm - Robinson, PA
I went to UPMC Seminar and they had pamphlets and papers that state insurance can and have rejected peopel who have gain 1 pound on your 6 month diet.  Also if you miss any of your your 6 month diet. visits/classes.  
prettydee7
on 1/20/09 12:02 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I just had RNY surgery with UPMC insurance.  Here is the truth about UPMC Bariatric policy...

your weight can fluctuate up and down with in the six months but you have to have at least lost SOME weight by your final weigh in.  So in other words with your month one weigh in your weight should be LESS than your 6 month weigh in.  If you gained a pound or even a half of a pound they WILL NOT cover your surgery. 

My Nutritionist and my surgeon encouraged me to lose AT LEAST 20-30 pounds so there would be no issues with my surgery being approved.  Just a word of encouragement for you.  I started this process at 347 and at my last weigh in I weighed 330 on Nov 5, 2008 dr. office submitted my paperwork to the ins. co and I got approved by Nov 12, 2008 and had my surgery on Nov 18 2008...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1991 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views