Food for thought.

sbrunell
on 1/18/09 12:42 pm - Bensalem, PA

Well, two things to beware when eating out.

The other day, we picked up food at Chick-Fil-A. My wife and I split a chargrilled chicken salad. I also got a Diet Lemonade...but they didn't give me the Diet....and I learned what dumping was. It made me very tired, and I fell asleep and my wife and I watched a movie. I missed almost the entire movie and went to sleep on the couch instead. I've always wondered how much sugar I could tolerate, and have been above the guidelines without issue, so I am actually happy it made me sick.

Also BEWARE of Taco Bell. My wife likes the  Fresco Chicken Border Bowl. The sign says it is 8 g fat and 350 calories. She's had it twice. She wanted one but wanted to figure out how much she woudl save if she took the tortilla strips off. But she learned that they consider that bowl to be 2 servings! http://www.tacobell.com/fresco/nutritionGuide.html

Just thought  I would share. Both companies are going to get a complaint letter from yours truly.

Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

Pam Hart
on 1/18/09 1:38 pm - Easton, PA
I've gotten wrong drinks before.  Most of the time I order water and use my own crystal lite packet or something like that just so I don't have to question it.

As far as the serving thing goes - interesting.  Goes to show you...you never really know what you are getting....

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
(deactivated member)
on 1/18/09 6:04 pm - Eastern, PA
Mary has been sick because of the wrong drink before too.

And yeah, those restaraunts are sneaky with their portions! You can usualy find most info on their webaites. It can be jaw dropping!
shoutjoy
on 1/18/09 6:43 pm - Culpeper, VA
Unfortunately, I have NO trouble with sugar.  I do, however, eat ALOT less than I used to.

Beans is what gets to me.  Had Pintos and cheese on Saturday evening and tooted all the way home.  Yesterday had the best homemade ham and bean soup and luckily, it didn't start until after I got home.  But it was sooooooo goooooooood!!!!

teehee....

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

ktreavis
on 1/18/09 8:26 pm - PA
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate dumping.....if you haven't had it before though the Diet Lemondae form there really is good. Boy, how we treasure the little things in life.
Hope to see you and our your wife at the post-op meeting, Have a great day.

Katie

Progress not perfection

dit657
on 1/18/09 9:50 pm - Boothwyn, PA
No fun dumping but if all you did was sleep be thankful for that. Getting the wrong type of drink scares the crap out of me, too.

U are a Barix baby - did a nut give you the dining out/fast food guidelines card? I don't have it in front of me but it can be very helpful - and restaurant portion sizes are way above normal servings which really makes no sense, but in todays world everything bigger is better, except people.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
(deactivated member)
on 1/18/09 9:50 pm - PA
 Yikes! 
sbrunell
on 1/18/09 10:23 pm - Bensalem, PA
 As a Barix babe, I did get that card, but it's a snapshot in time of what's on the menu....but the menus evolve. 

I am really big on reading the dietary info before we go out. I really like Chick-FIl-A because of it.

They have very comprehensive nutrition details, and even have it on the back of the tray protector if you dine in, and you can pick up one for your car. 

The choices are still limited, but at least you know what you are getting.  

I take umbridge w/ Taco Hell because the sign in the drive thru says "8 g if fat abd 350 calories" next to the price.  They have signs about their Fresco line being healthier. That is why I am so enraged.  There should be  note that the bowl is 2 servings! I am going to complain now.
Steve Brunell
RNY  5/16/08
The first day of the rest of my life
Dr. Pupkova

jackie j
on 1/19/09 2:09 am - Glenmoore, PA
As far as I could tell after reading all the servings at Chick-Fil-A the only thing I could legally eat there was a child's portion of nuggets (4).   And at McDonalds a snacker or the edamame salad minus the corn strips and dressing and their Minute Maid Lite Lemonade (they don't have a reg. so it doesn't get confused and since you shouldn't drink at the same time anyway it should be one or the other, shouldn't it?).   Nothing at BK.  I've maybe eaten fast food 15X since surgery 3 years ago but portionwise I progressed to the Southern Chicken sandwich at McD's.  I confess to doing it 2X.   It's actually a good quality piece of chicken as those places go; no filler, took it off the bun and sopped up any grease with a napkin.  At this point 4 nuggets of something is nothing; that's the problem; you progress and push the legal limits portionwise.   After that I had a 2 hour nap and was too lethargic to do exercise......do you see the vicious cycle starting? (more food, less exercise) and it's not so horrible a dumping that you'd stop the behavior either; it was a NAP for gosh sakes!  The only time I get to nap in my hectic world IS when I dump!  So, BEWARE!  Fast food is the devil .   Devil be gone!!!!

Kudos for checking the websites Steve.   More folks should take a gander.  It's time consuming at first and doing the math is a little confusing about the serving sizes, but boy do you find out how fattening eating those places is....and to think our kids live on fast food these days compared to us.   They will all outweigh us for sure....we are killing our kids.....what a sad thought!  

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Shannon O.
on 1/19/09 5:43 am - Reading, PA
I always watch chick-fil-a like a hawk when getting my diet lemonaid... I have now gotten 3 free meals for there mess up... I tell them that having sugar could put me in the hospital so they better do their job right lol... can you imagine if they messed that up with someone that had really bad dibeties... it could kill them... my mom has seen a case like that at the hospital she works out... the person got the wrong items with their meal... didn't realize until it was too late... they slipped into diabetic coma and never woke up...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1991 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views