Good Bariatric Books???

browngirl76
on 1/15/09 4:22 am - Ridley Park, PA
Hi Everyone,

I am scheduled for an RNY on Feb. 24.  I am very excited about it. 

I am wondering if anyone has read any really fantastic books about WLS, Cooking for WLS, Success with WLS, etc.  I love to read and I want to know as much as I possibly can so I can be prepared for what will happen after surgery. 

Any input you have would be great. 

dit657
on 1/15/09 4:46 am - Boothwyn, PA
One that I read and really liked is 'The Doctor's Guide to Weight Loss Surgery' by Louis Flancbaum, MD. I think I got it off eBay or Amazon - it was cheap - paperback - but very good. I would highly recommend it.

Best of luck to you!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
browngirl76
on 1/15/09 5:09 am - Ridley Park, PA
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will definitely check it out.

Joylyn
Pam Hart
on 1/15/09 6:03 am - Easton, PA
My FAVORITE book was:

The Real Skinny on Weight Loss Surgery.  It is written by two post op females and their doctors.  Their sense of humor is AMAZING (and sarcastic) and they cram so much information into a fairly small book, plus it is an "easy" read.

The Emotional First Aid Kit was also another good book.  Made you do a lot of self thinking and what not.  There is a subtitle to it....maybe something about a guide to bariatric surgery or something like that?  I'm not sure if it is available in bookstores, although I do know that Barix's website (www.barixclinics.com) used to have it available.

Weight Loss Surgery For Dummies was another one I read.  It was decent.  Cowritten by Al Roker from the news.  There is also recipies in that one.

Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery was a cook book I had for a time.  Although I am not one for following recipies so I didn't use it to much and basically just started "learning" how to adapt my own recipies.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
LindaScrip
on 1/15/09 8:05 am
Pam where did you get the Real Skinny on Weight Loss Surgery? Does Barnes and Nobles carry it?
Pam Hart
on 1/15/09 10:38 am - Easton, PA
If I remember correctly, I ordered it off of the B&N website. 

If you don't want to pay shipping, you can go to a store, and if they don't have it, they will order it for you.  You would have to go back to pick it up....but they will do it for you.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
browngirl76
on 1/15/09 11:24 pm - Ridley Park, PA
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the great suggestions.  I found all of these listed on Amazon.com and ordered quite a few.  I appreciate the help!
LindaScrip
on 1/16/09 9:17 am
Thank you Pam for the info.  Appreciate it.  I'll be at Barnes and Noble at Neshaminy Mall this week end and if they don't have it I can have them order it.  My favorite past time is reading especially in the winter.  Take care and stay warm.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views