Sad News on Barix Pre-Op Tom Smith

Mike M.
on 1/13/09 11:14 pm - Langhorne, PA
It is with a heavy heart that I inform all of you that, when reading this morning's local newspaper, I came across an obituary for Thomas Smith.  As a Barix pre-op, Tom was a regular attendee of our 1st Saturday support group meetings and he had been scheduled for surgery on Monday, January 12.  There will be a memorial service for Tom at the Langhorne Presbyterian Church (125 E. Gilliam Ave.) at 11 a.m. this Satuday. 

Unfortunately there is no additional information (outside of the published obituary) available at the present time.  Readers of the Bucks County Courier Times can find Tom's obituary on the back page of the Local News or "C" section.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I offer our deepest symapthies and condolences to Tom's wife and family.  Tom was a great guy and he will be missed.

Thanks everyone,

Mike
Pam Hart
on 1/13/09 11:18 pm - Easton, PA
Mike,

Thank you for the information, as sad as it is.  My deepest condolences to the family of Tom.  I cannot imagine the pain they are feeling at this time in their lives.

This may be not proper to ask...but does anyone know if he HAD surgery and was it complications there of?

So sad.  He will forever be in our hearts.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Mike M.
on 1/13/09 11:21 pm - Langhorne, PA
At this point, I'm debating on whether it's even appropriate to try to find out.  I'm sure his wife will fill us in on the details in due time.  :-/
Liz R.
on 1/13/09 11:27 pm - Easton, PA
So sad - my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Liz
Laureen S.
on 1/13/09 11:41 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Oh Mike,

I am sooo sorry to hear that, his poor family must be devastated and yes, please let his family that the prayers of all us here are with them.

Take care, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/09 12:24 am - PA
 Oh, this is horrible news.  I never met Tom, but it sounds like he had touched many of you.  My best wishes to his family.
CherylT
on 1/14/09 12:37 am - Perkasie, PA
That is so sad.

KimZ
on 1/14/09 2:05 am - PA
This is very sad indeed.  I did meet him at the first Saturday Barix meeting.  He was a very nice man.

Cheryl - you talked about going past the cemetary where you had picked out your arrangements before you had your surgery  a little over a year ago.  That topic of conversation has really stuck in my head over the past week.

All of our common journies with WLS brings us together and for quite a bit of us has literally saved our lives. 

I remember one meeting last year, where Dennis led the discussion on whether it is appropriate or not to talk with others who may or may not have considered WLS.  As an overall feeling - for me - I talk about it every chance I get.  When I see someone in the gym who has significant weight to loose and I see they are struggling, I sometimes approach and offer my story and some guidence.  There have been times where I have actually given out the number to Barix and Dr. Boe's office number.

The thought that we have lost a brother on our path really pulls on my heartstrings.  He was so close to his surgery, and even though we really do not know the particulars, I am assuming that obesity may have had some factor in his untimely passing.

Dennis / Shauna - at the next meeting perhaps we could open the floor to this topic again.

My prayers and thoughts are with his family.  Thanks for posting this Mike.

Kim Z

Mike M.
on 1/14/09 2:27 am - Langhorne, PA
F. Y. I. -- the obituary also mentioned that Tom had MS but I truly don't know how much his obesity, MS or any other factors may have contributed to his passing.

I don't know why, but I'm REALLY bumming right now... I mean much more than when I have heard about untimely deaths in the past.  Perhaps it was Tom's spirit and sense of humor or his wife, Sharon, and her positive attitude in the eyes of adversity.  Whatever the case may be, this one hits home a little harder than I expected it to.  So, I'm picking up my diet decaffeinated iced tea and raising my glass to Tom and his family... God speed, my friend.  Enjoy watching your beloved Flyers from the best seat in the house!
Laureen S.
on 1/14/09 4:44 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Mike,

I think it is natural to be bummed by such sad news, especially knowing that he was such a spirited person on the brink of realizing healthier possibilities.  You knew him, whether for a short time or not, you knew him, because he is us and did not get to make the transistion into living the way we have, that is my preception anyway.  You also had more of a connection by viture of doing some of the work with him, so try to envision him now as a healthy, happier spirit, whose presence here will be missed by those whose lives he touched.  I truly believe that our value to each other is whether we touch others as we walk through this life and that is what lives long after we are no longer here, which means he has led a successful life.

Sending you cyber hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views