Advice on meeting with nut and psych....

Jena B.
on 1/14/09 2:31 am - Baden, PA
Ok, so Friday I meet with my nutritionist and psychologist for the first time, and I'm wondering on any advice yins could shoot my way. I mean what exactly are they looking for? I practically have a book for the nut with everything i've eaten the past 6 months. 
Any advice?
dit657
on 1/14/09 3:09 am - Boothwyn, PA
As long as you have the info required from the nut there's not much else you can do to prepare for a meeting like this, because they're all different. My psych eval was a one-time visit with someone I had never met before, and she basically talked to me about being prepared for life AFTER surgery and if I was well-informed on everything that had to be done, and that just because the surgery fixes your stomach it can't fix the food demons in your head, etc. So I sat there and answered her honestly and just talked, and she wrote a good eval for me.

I was seeing my nut for at least 3-4 months before surgery and she just had me log my food, watch my sugar intake and stuff like that but didn't put me on any strict diet (and I still lost 33 lbs!).

So go in with the documents they ask for, and just be prepared to be yourself. Talk about any fears or concerns you may have, and how you've prepared yourself mentally for the changes you and your body are going to be going through. And trust me, you can only be prepared for a small part of them because everyone is different and every day can be different - LOL!!!

Best of luck to you....Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
DianeMarie
on 1/14/09 9:17 am - Delmont, PA
My Nut visit was just a short visit that included a test to make sure I knew what my diet would be like after surgery.. like making sure i get my protien first.... 60 - 70 grams...when it was safe to take multivitamins after surgery and so on..

My phsych eval made me realise it was just them making sure I knew what I would be dealing with and was I mentally capable of making the decision for surgery.  I honestly think that if you arnt nuts they will pass ya lol.

Good luck!

Diane

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
Shannon O.
on 1/14/09 12:06 pm - Reading, PA
just be honest with both... no BS... and you never know if you might need the psychologist after surgery to work through various things...

But good luck with both!

LindaScrip
on 1/14/09 12:44 pm
okay how come I didn't have to do a psych evaluation? Thats weird...
R K.
on 1/14/09 8:00 pm
On January 14, 2009 at 8:44 PM Pacific Time, LindaScrip wrote:
okay how come I didn't have to do a psych evaluation? Thats weird...
Every insurance plan and every WLS program has different requirements. It`s a pretty good thing though and some follow up would also be good. There have been a lot of WLS patients that didn`t do well after surgery psychologically. My wife is the BC/BS person at her employment that has a thousand employees and especially in the early days of WLS when there was none of this saw all kinds of stuff.
There are lot`s of ramifications to WLS from social, physical and psychological and it`s important to be able to deal with them.

My advise is be honest. Don`t answer with what you think they want just tell the truth. It`s in your best interest.
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
LisaAC
on 1/15/09 12:31 am - Philadelphia, PA
I'll admit, I was nervous about the psych eval...like many people, my past has been challenging.  But I decided to be honest about the past and optimistic (as I was) about the future.  It went fine.  She was interested in my state of mind now.  She wanted to see if there was anything going on with me right now that would have kept me from following the wls program.  Basically, it's just like all the other medical clearances: they want to ensure that there are no issues that will make the surgery particularly unsafe for you. 

Good luck.

Lisa
"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views