OT - What would you think??

Pam Hart
on 1/13/09 10:51 pm - Easton, PA
Ok..so whether you realize it ornot most hopsitals (and other healthcare divisions) have "scripts" their employees are supposed to follow.  For example, when I walk into a room for the first time I'm supposed to say "Hi, my name is Pam and I will be one of your nurses today" and before I leave the room EVERY time I am supposed to say "is there anything else I can do for you right now or do you need anything else?"  (and generally speaking, I do)  You would think this would be common courtesy, but unfortunately people need to be taught this.

Now...when a patient is discharged or sent to a floor, I generally say something like "feel better" or whatever...that is not part of our "script" but just something I think is nice.  We have been told that our "script" has been added to.  When a patient leaves the department (be it to go home or to be admitted to the floor) we have been told we are to say "Thank you for choosing Lehigh Valley"

Now...to me...it just sounds...well....weird.  First of all - in some instances people haven't CHOSEN us at all.  It was the closest hospital that the ambulance brought them to.  Granted, in a lot of cases, people HAVE chosen us...everyone always has their preferance of hospitals, much like they do restaurants.  And I understand healthcare is a business, a very competitve one at that.

However...I feel like a stewardess on an airplane.  "have a nice trip, and thank you for choosing Jet Blue".  "Feel better, and thank you for choosing lehigh valley."  I feel like it should be followed up with "Peanuts...popcorn...magazine"

So....as basically "general public" on this board....how do you think it sounds and what woud YOUR reactions be if a healthcare professional said that to you?

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 1/13/09 10:59 pm - Easton, PA
well unless they are wheeling me off to a sunny beach or serving me a nice juicy steak I have to say that it is a bit weird.

Like you said - not everyone choose that they came to that hospital. And no offence - but I'd rather not CHOOSE any hospital. I am there because I have to be, not because I want to be. I think your line of feel better is much more appropriate.

And Thank You for visiting LVH.

Liz
Pam Hart
on 1/13/09 11:14 pm - Easton, PA
Speaking of which...aren't you supposed to be choosing Doylestown right about now?

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Liz R.
on 1/13/09 11:30 pm - Easton, PA
yes... I was feeling a little better, even ate a piece of an Arnold's sandwich crisp. But one of my co-workers just came in and told me I have no color in my face and I look very sick. I'll be making my way out shortly. I admit I am putting it off - I don't wanna gooooooooooooooooooo lol but I will - I know i need to.
(deactivated member)
on 1/13/09 11:08 pm - Eastern, PA
I don't think it's weird at all, truth be told. They mot likely percieve it as a relationship-building exercise between the hospital and patient. If I were being discharged, I wouldn't feel odd hearing that.

You could always add whatever it is you normally say at the end:

Thanks for blah, blah, blah, I hope you feel better soon.

R K.
on 1/13/09 11:25 pm
On January 14, 2009 at 7:08 AM Pacific Time, NormanB258 wrote:
I don't think it's weird at all, truth be told. They mot likely percieve it as a relationship-building exercise between the hospital and patient. If I were being discharged, I wouldn't feel odd hearing that.

You could always add whatever it is you normally say at the end:

Thanks for blah, blah, blah, I hope you feel better soon.

Agreed. Health care is a huge business. Regardless as to what we`d like it to be it`s a business. Study groups and marketing groups spent countless hours working on this stuff and in general found for some reason it leaves an impression.
Most of us unless we are taken unconscious from the scene have some choice in our health care. Sometimes it`s limited because of location or network but there are still many choices.
I make my choices based on 3 RN`s in the family, an RN mother that has run a doctors office in Easton for 30 years +, a sister that runs the hospice at Doylestown Hosp., 4 personal friends that are physicians and a bunch of nurse friends at St Lukes and Easton.
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
dit657
on 1/13/09 11:25 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Let's face it - a hospital is a business now - plain and simple - and the powers within are really starting to treat them that way - so they're going to market them that way,and I'm sure that's what that little script is all about.

I'm sure it does feel strange to say it, but trust me, in the business world we have to say things all the time that we'd rather not!! LOL.

At least they didn't ask you to add 'and please visit our facilities again soon!' - LOL!!

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 1/13/09 11:34 pm - Easton, PA
To funny Kathy!

A lot of nurses, just out of 'habit' were saying "feel better and good luck" (myself included....) and we have been asked not to say that because theoretically the patients shouldn't need "luck" - they should be taken care of by us!

Semantics!

Pam
Laureen S.
on 1/13/09 11:49 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Ditto on all that has been said, but as also has been said, when, and if, I do have to make an appearance at a hospital there are some I would chose over others for sure, though since moving to Jersey 6 years ago, I've no idea which ones to avoid in my area as I've never had a need for any of their services thusfar and hope not to need them anytime soon either. . .  so I'm guessing they just want to leave patients with a good impression and as a place that seems to care about their "business". . .  weird but "polictically correct" I'm thinking. . .

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

LisaAC
on 1/14/09 12:58 am - Philadelphia, PA
It sounds like you're doing an ad.  I probably wouldn't much appreciate it, especially if I still wasn't feeling great.  To be blunt, I'd probably think you were a bit of a moron!  

I'm normally a "good patient," I think - friendly, polite, etc. - so if the nurse is friendly, we usually have some sort of conversation or banter.  It would be weird if she turned around and said something so impersonal at the end.

Lisa
"The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become."
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views