Medical question - definately TMI!

Liz R.
on 1/12/09 4:16 am - Easton, PA
Alright - so as you know I have been sick. The bug - whatever it is has settled in my poor little fragile pouchie. I am having trouble getting anything in to stay down. Today I was remotely successful with 1/2 whole wheat english muffin, a few crackers, and a few bites of chicken. Now this isn't comfortable - but successful. It almost feels like the pain is a belt, but it sits maybe 6 inches below my bra band. I think that the pains are gas - at least last night that is what it felt like and it was rumbling away then i would either throw up or have bad diarreah (total liquid here - I warned you TMI!). I have only been able to get in about 16 ounces of fluids today, if I drink too often or too quickly I get nauseous and throw up whatever I have managed to get in.  So now that you know all the ewwy details here is the question.

When do we start to worry about things as dehydration or malnutrition because of too much diarreah?? And when does diarreah become a concern in itself?

I have NO desire to eat and know that i am not getting my protein or vitamins either (the make me throw up right now too) I guess if it isn't better in a day or 2 I should call the PCP or Dr Brader.

Thanks!

Liz

PS I will be leaving here shortly to go home and go to bed! I'll see if I can't push the fluids slightly harder at home - sometimes it is easier just knowing you are home and "safe"
Shannon O.
on 1/12/09 4:33 am - Reading, PA
I had the same issues on the 2nd... I wasn't sure if had gas or the runs so I would sit on the potty and fart/poop lol...

I drink a lot of campbells chicken noodle soup (just the broth) for a couple of days and let it work its way out...

it does get better... just wait it out lol... flat diet sprite also seemed to work too...

Liz R.
on 1/12/09 4:37 am - Easton, PA
I have some Chicken broth - I'll try that tonight when I get home - small sips. I hope it passes quickly! If I still feel like this there is NO way I'll be able to work tomorrow - and right now no work means no pay (I used all my vacation days to have my gall bladder removed and don't get more until May) but a girls' gotta do what a girl's gotta do! I think that I'll take a few small things home with me just in case.

Thanks again Shannon! I need to be in tip top shape for Saturday!

Liz
dit657
on 1/12/09 5:00 am - Boothwyn, PA
I wouldn't wait too much longer before calling Dr Brader - just in case something is wrong with your pouch after being so sick and not being able to keep things down. Even if it turns out to be nothing more than a nasty flu bug you'll feel better for having called, and so will Dr B.

Feel better soon!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Nicole0216
on 1/12/09 5:49 am - Lancaster, PA
how long have you had this? Is it just a stomac bug or do you think it is more? 
I am scared to death of getting a stomach bug right now post surgery.

I think it is always better to get a dr opinion particarly with your hx of surgery and ulcers etc

I hope you feel better soon Liz
Liz R.
on 1/12/09 6:47 am - Easton, PA
ALright - so I have been able to get some more fluids in since I posted this earlier. I stopped on my way home and got some beef broth and am sipping that right now. It SEEMS to be sitting well. IT is definately not the ulcers feeling - just this overwhelming nausea and the urge to run to the bathroom. A few guys at work have a bug that is very similar so I am guesing that I am probably just more sensitive to stomach issues. HOPEFULLY this broth and tea will do the trick and stay in me tonight. You should be proud it is 5:45 and I am in my jammies snuggled down in bed with the kitties and the computer. I can't remeber the last time I was HOME at this hour let a lone in bed! I thinki that it'll do me some good.

I did tell my MOm and Chris exactly what is going on since I am here by myself. I told Chris to wake me and check on me when he gets home around 9:45. My mom said she'd call at 7.

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to sip sip sip and sleep!

Liz
Pam Hart
on 1/12/09 6:57 am - Easton, PA
Liz,

Dehydration is different for everyone.  The best advice I can tell you is to keep sipping and keep an eye on your urine....and your "mucous membranes" (IE mouth, tongue,eyes etc)  Generally its more "reliable" in kids....but you can still tell a lot in adults if the urine becomes very infrequent or very dark and the mouth becomes very very dry.....

I'd call one of the docs at the very least.  I didn't have that "belt" feeling you were talking about...I also didn't throw up - however - as you know - post surgery I have NEVER thrown up no matter what the problem is.  Well there was that one time....but it was only about a teaspoon...anyway.....I had severe cramping of the lower intestines each time I ate and literally it went RIGHT through me....and yes...pure liquid as well.

Feel better - call a doc!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
LindaScrip
on 1/12/09 11:10 am
Liz I hope you are feeling better it could be a virus you said other people at work had it, I noticed that when I am not feeling well it seems worst after surgery.  I hope you feel better soon. Take care.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views