Surgeons and experiences in the Pittsburgh area

Kara W.
on 1/11/09 4:14 am - PA
Hello Everyone!

I recently got a referal from my PCP and am in the process of looking for a bariatric group/surgeon. My Dr. is cool with me having the surgery, but isn't the most helpful by any means. In the research that I've done for the last couple months,  there are a couple surgeons that I am looking at and/or getting ready to meet with over the next couple of weeks but I want to make sure I'm doing all of my research and being thorough.

If anyone on here from the Pittsburgh area would be so kind, please post what surgeon you went to and what your experience was like.

Thanks for your help!

Kara
MsDeniseinPA
on 1/11/09 4:21 am - PA
I went to Pittsburgh Bariatrics at St. Margaret's Hospital. The Surgeon's are  Dr. Means and Dr. Quinlin.  Dr. Quinlin was my doctor and I have had a very good experience with the practice. They are very thorough, compassionate and understanding.  They have a really good program.
Heather D.
on 1/11/09 5:35 am - OH
I had my surgery at Magee Women's Hospital with Dr Eid and I LOVE HIM!!!!  He was wonderful, the staff was wonderful, even the nut's were wonderful.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me!

mao262
on 1/11/09 6:07 am
Hi, Kara

I am from around Erie, PA south of Erie,  I was refered by my PCP to the West Penn Bariatric Surgery Center.  Dr. Daniel Gagne is the surgeon who will be doing my surgery on January 27.  Dr. Gagne and his staff are all wonderful.  I have nothing negative to say, nor have I experienced anything negative to speak of.  Check out their web site www.bariatricsurgerypittsburgh.com  

Good luck with your search!  
Maggie
deebatt
on 1/11/09 7:12 am - Imperial (Pittsburgh), PA
I havent had my surgery yet, but i am going thru the program at Magee.  Dr Eid is my surgeon and so far i like him alot.

I would suggest attending informational seminars at several different places (i went to Magee, AGH, and one at Hope Bariatrics/St Clair hospital, which is where i work).  Ultimately I decided on Magee because of their reputation, their support system, experience with friends going thru the program, and well doggonit i just loved Dr. Eid.

~ Denise 

jesikalee
on 1/11/09 8:02 am - PA

I am from Erie Pa, and I had my surgery in Sept at Allegheny  General Hospital w/ Dr Colella and Dr Uchal. They are both amazing...the staff was great, the hospital was wonderful etc

Please feel free to pm me if you have any q's....

Jessica

I started w/ magee's program but didnt like the $$$$$ that it cost extra to get thru the program, just my opinon

Jessica

Band_Groupie
on 1/11/09 8:40 am
I would also suggest you go to several seminars.  I went to St. Margaret's-Dr. Means, Magee-Dr. Eid, and to AGH- Dr. Uchal.  I ended up selecting AGH.  UPMC/Magee and others send the hard cases to AGH (not that I'm a hard case at all, but I want the best if things go south) and they have a great reputation also for LB and RnY.  I'm starting all my pre-op appts. tomorrow, Psych, Nut, etc.  I did a long post on what my experience was at each http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f11/seminars-hospitals-pittsburgh -st-margaret-magee-allegheny-general-81113/  but I can give you some updates I've found out since then if you want to PM me.  I feel really comfortable with my decision.  Last thing I wanted was more of the impersonal care I've experienced at some of these hospitals, especially with LB.  I think Pitt is a great place to be for WLS as we have so many choices, find the right fit for you.

Band_Groupie  My Blog "The Sweet Spot" HERE
Proud member of the Century Club...100+ pounds gone forever! 
I'm now in the middle of a Normal BMI.
*My new adventure; At the suggestion and support of many LBers, I'm now writing a LB book.

ellie443
on 1/11/09 8:57 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
I haven't had my surgery yet. I am going to West Penn hospital.  Dr Urbant is my doctor.   I highly recommend him and his practice

ellen
lulu_s
on 1/11/09 10:43 pm - Pittsburgh, PA

My doctor was Dr. Hamad from Magee.  She is a great surgeon.  I felt very comfortable talking to her and you can tell that she wants you to succeed.  On the day of my surgery I had no family members or friends with me.  I went to the hospital by myself.  When Dr. Hamad came in to see me before the surgery she took my mother's number .  She made sure to call her after surgery to let her know that everything went well.  During my hospital stay, I saw Dr. Hamad twice which was nice.  She came in and chit chatted with and was always smiling.  I recommend her and her staff.  Her nurse always is available or at least calls me back promptly if I have any questions or concerns.  They are very encouraging.  They are strict also but I need that.  I need to be held accountable sometimes.   Good luck in finding the right doctor for you.  Take care.

newmeplease
on 1/13/09 3:26 pm - Robinson, PA
I went to the Bariatric Seminar today at UPMC-Magee.  I am so glad I went.  The Dr, was Dr. Anita Courcoulas and she is the Head of Bariatric Surgery at UPMC and has a staff of an additional 5 doctors.  

I was very impressed with the Slide show/information session. You should check it out.  http://www.upmc.com/HospitalsFacilities/Hospitals/Magee/Spec ialtyServicesWomenMen/weight-loss/Pages/InformationalSession s.aspx  Click for upcoming dates.

They are a "Center of Excellence" and perform over 1100 surgeries a year, and have over 20 government grants for studies and improvements of Bariatrics.  They perform RXY, Sleeves, DS, and LB and others i cant think of right now.  She also went over that there complication rates which were well under national average and she has never had a leakage in her career doing RXY and only 1 LB slip over her 15 plus year career.   

I would definately check them out.  They go over every step in the process and are self proclaimed experts in getting your insurance to  approve you.  It all starts with he informtional session, followed by 6 month supervised diet(means they weigh  you once a month) along with one on one with NUT, Psy. and your surgeon.  After 6 months and insurance approval you can schedule you surgery weeks after your 6 month diet.

Good Luck.   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2677 views