I am home - just one night in the hospital

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/09 6:41 am - PA
 Hi All:

Thanks again for all the positive encouragement right before my surgery.  Your comments were very comforting.

Dr. Alfred Trang was my surgeon (Einstein Bariatrics) at Einstein at Elkins Park.  I went into lac. RNY surgery right at 7:30 am on Friday, was in recovery by 10:30 am (that's what wife says) and was upstairs in my room by 11:30 am.  I was a bit scared in the 20 minutes before the surgery, but after chatting with the anesthesiologist about politics for a couple minutes  -- I was fully distracted.  I was surprised how good I felt after waking up from the surgery and was on my feet and walking around in the afternoon on Friday.  

I did as my doctor (and ya'll instructed) and sipped, sipped, sipped and walked, walked, walked.  I walked as much as I could without pushing it -- I probably got up and walked at least 5 or 6 times on Friday afternoon -- each time I tried to walk more until I was counting six laps around the floor.  I didn't sleep much of Friday night -- in three hour spurts -- and was up walking the halls at 6 am on Saturday.  The walking helped tremendously.  Also, my first meal of crystal light and broth very quickly informed me about the size of my pouch.  I had about 2/3 cup of broth and maybe 1/4 of crystal light -- that is much as I could tolerate.  So, I was released on Saturday afternoon at 3:30 pm -- which was the greatest feeling.  

Perhaps, the most discomfort I experienced during the last two days was last night (Saturday) -- the ride home was a bit uncomfortable (almost painful).  Its easy to forget how much strain a moving car puts on your body. And Saturday evening the gas pains (I couldn't figure out what the pain was at first) were unpleasant.  But those mostly passed (no pun intended) by Sunday morning.  I am tired, but I am getting around.  My back is really sore for lying down, so that is the worst of the pain right now.  

Mostly, I am trying to walk around a bit, drinking lots of fluids, and hoping for the best.  I am glad the surgery is over.  The anticipation of surgery was not fun and these first two days have been pretty uncomfortable -- I just want to be very honest with everyone out their considering this surgery.  I would say my pain never exceed above a "3" on a 1 to 10 scale -- but my pain tolerance is pretty decent.  This is not a cosmetic surgery -- it is a serious medical intervention intended to resolve serious health problems and to avoid future complications.  Knowing that I pursued this to improve my long-term health prognosis and quality of life, I know that this was best tool for me given my past weight loss failures and my constantly increasing weight.  Anyway.  Enough preaching from me.  I am happy to be home and looking forward to feeling better with each day that passes. -Roger
DianeMarie
on 1/11/09 7:03 am - Delmont, PA

Welcome to the losers bench Roger!  Take it easy and enjoy the second beginning of your life.

Diane

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
Liz R.
on 1/11/09 7:15 am - Easton, PA
ROger - congrats on the normal recovery so far! The first few weeks are the hardest - but thats when the friends that you have here are the most valuable!

Liz
ktreavis
on 1/11/09 7:31 am - PA
Welcome to the loser's bench.....it is an amazing journey and you have chosen a great group of people to share it with......

Katie

Progress not perfection

Band_Groupie
on 1/11/09 8:11 am
Congratulations, and glad you're doing so well...keep us posted!

Band_Groupie  My Blog "The Sweet Spot" HERE
Proud member of the Century Club...100+ pounds gone forever! 
I'm now in the middle of a Normal BMI.
*My new adventure; At the suggestion and support of many LBers, I'm now writing a LB book.

hopegirl66
on 1/11/09 9:01 am - Downingtown, PA
Roger,

Congrats on your surgery. So glad to hear that your time at the hospital went well. That sip, sip, sip - walk , walk, walk that I hear about must really work like a charm. Looking forward to hearing of your journey on the "other side"

-Monica
Laureen S.
on 1/11/09 9:02 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Roger,

Welcome to the Loser's Bench and sounds like you are doing what needs doing and as someone else said the first weeks out are the hardest, just follow those instructions you were given by your surgeon and you should do well.

Best wishes for your recovery process to be uneventful and bring the results your desire.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Shannon O.
on 1/11/09 9:11 am - Reading, PA
Grats on doing so well... sounds like you are taking it slow... and just remember... if you need a nap take it... don't fight it... you will heal even faster!

Keep up the great work...

Shan08
on 1/11/09 9:25 am - the Skook, PA
 Good job, Roger

"If you want something bad enough, you'll find it.
If you don't, you'll find excuses."
cleos_mom
on 1/11/09 9:39 am - phila., PA
Good Luck to you, glad that you are doing well
Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA