Barry's Bootcamp?? (LONG)

Pam Hart
on 1/10/09 8:06 pm - Easton, PA
Ok...so when I got home at 4am today there was obviously a whole bunch of info mercials on.  I watched a portion of one for what I believe was called "Barry's Bootcamp" DVD workout set.  I just did a search for it online and couldn't find anything about it....I could have the name wrong...but it was definately a "B" name followed by Bootcamp.  And it was NOT Billy Blanks bootcamp which came up in searches.

I must say - it looked like it could work.  Do I think it works as well as the people ON the infomercial said?  No.  but then again - I don't believe MOST infomercials.

It comes with I think 6 DVDs.  The one is a 21minute upper body work out.  The other is a 21minute lower body work out.  The idea is to do the uppper body one day and the lower body the next day.  Then there are three other DVDs each targeted for "problem areas" (I believe that was shoulders/chest; Core; Butt and Thighs) which I think were each an additinoal 21 minutes. And then a 6 day DVD to get "red carpet ripped" which sounds just like a very intense work out for six days to stress your muscles to the max much like weigh lifters do before a showing competition.

It uses resistance type bands with handles and this thing that looks like the big blow up balls you see in pilates and what not - but it is MUCH bigger and oval shaped.  They call it "F.I.T" training which stands for something....frequent interval training...maybe?  I can't remember the exact terminology.  Basically each exercise is done for ONE minute, followed by 30 seconds of "rest" (IE setting up for the next one)  You are to do each exercise to "100% of your capacity with purpose"  Of course they advertise it as "anyone can do anything for one minute"

Now...here's the REAL purpose of this post.  Pre op I remember watching millions of exercise jargons such as this.  And I bought a BUNCH of them.  Because, after all...they promised that this would be THE answer I had been looking for.  Who cares if I was 100 pounds over weight?  I could follow this program and have washboard abs and be a super model and it would be EASY.  Uh...needless to say....they didn't work quite the way I wanted them to (or rather, I could not work the way THEY wanted me to)

OK....so I know now that exercise is not EASY.  Nor is it supposed to be.  And  I probably will never have washboard abs that don't say "body by dr. herman" on it.

I also know that I have changed - ALOT in the past 14 mos.  I don't care if it isn't easy.  I like to work to be able to MAKE it easiER, and don't mind a challenge and going back to it day after day to continue the challenge.

The work out looked fun - intense - but fun.  And I am really trying to get a sleu (sp?) of exercise DVDs that I actually like to do in the house.  From what I can tell there aren't to many "good" gyms in my new area....and although there a few by work, I KNOW I will not drive there on my days off - which leaves 3 days of possible exercise after work...and really...sometimes with how many days in a row I work sleep becomes more important during a 15-16 hour day so I KNOW I wouldn't even get there the 3 days a week.

The 21 minute thing seems like a great idea - because even I could squeeze that in after work and then do the other videos on my days off.

But that "old" mind set comes into play.  "It's just another gimmick"  "You are wasting your money" "You won't be able to do it"

So - what do you think?  Do you think a new found "passion" (I use that term loosely for myself, by the way) for exercise out weighs the old thinking and to go for it as a new challenge?  Or that info mercials are just that...and their products are generally not worth the time and money?

Of course...if I can't find it online anywhere...I'm SOL either way.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Pam Hart
on 1/10/09 8:09 pm - Easton, PA
http://barrysbootcamp.net/

Apparantly the first time I did a search I spelled it wrong or something...here's a link I just found....

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Pam Hart
on 1/10/09 8:18 pm - Easton, PA
Ok...so the first link was actually more of a link to his stuidos in california.

Here's a link to the thing I saw on TV....

http://www.goods-o-matic.com/24-3375301-B001DD2D2Q-Barrys_Bo otcamp_Complete_Workout_System.html
deeg
on 1/10/09 9:19 pm - Quakertown, PA
Pam,
Sounds like a pretty intense workout from what I could see.  Have you also looked at a book store like barnes and noble for exercise videos?  Because you could also get giant bands other places for resistance training and combine it with a video from a bookstore for possibly a little cheaper than barry's bootcamp.  (Just another suggestion for you, Pam.) The idea of doing 100% for  a minute and rest for 30 seconds is just what my trainer sets me up for....intense for a minute with a 30 second rest then repeat.  Good luck, Pam!

Dee
KimZ
on 1/10/09 11:35 pm - PA
Hey Pam  -

I also saw the infomercial.  The work out with that program is taylored much like two others -

Body for Life  

and

Tabata Training

I have done alot with both.  Body for Life works more on interval training (of which I incorporate every day into my cardio and some of my core training).  Tabata Training is more exercise centered and offers an anaerobic type of workout.   With the Tabata  you will take any exercise and do a total of 4 minutes.  That would be one set of high intensity workout for 20 seconds then you rest for 10 seconds.  You repeat this 6 - 8 times.   The burn is incredible and will last up to 48 hours.  You should not do the same exercise more than once every 3 days (i learned this the hard way).

Both Tabata and Body for Life will begin to scupt and tone in a relatively short period of time.  Do a google search on both - or you can get the Body for Life book at any book store or amazon.com.  Im not entirely certain - but I have to believe there are some videos out there.

Good Luck.

Kim Z

Shannon O.
on 1/11/09 12:28 am - Reading, PA
I have seen this too... and know peopl that have used it and they liked it... I know when you work is crazy... but you could see if a local gym offers a class like this... I know that Gold's Gym has started something called Les Mills Body Pump and if you combine that with yoga or pilates you will get the best of both worlds with fat burning and toning...

here is a link to Gold's gym locator for PA... http://www.goldsgym.com/locator/state_locator.php

But I know other gyms have something like this and most gyms are doing crazy deals to get people in the doors... ask for a week long free pass and test out those gyms...

keri2008
on 1/11/09 6:54 am - PA
I did a bit of "looking" and it looks like a wonderful program.  VERY intense though.  So only you know whether or not you're at that stage/level in your own program to make this leap.  I know for me it wouldn't be wise as the heavy-duty ones make me nauseous (glycogen stores are still low while I'm losing) so I stick the the "easier" things for right now.  If you've been exercising regularly and increased your limits AND been doing some weight training you could probably start the program.  Important to remember to take it VERY slow.  Going gung ho at first is not always a wise choice.  Just my opinion though.  My personal favorite (working at building up to this) is Power 90 and Slim in 6.  Looking to try the Turbo program.  What I love about Beachbody products is that they say again and again in each program start at YOUR pace, listen to your body, DON'T overdo it.  They totally focus on you becoming your best but at your body's pace, not your mind's. 

http://www.beachbody.com/category/fitness_programs/weight_lo ss.do
Pam Hart
on 1/11/09 4:31 pm - Easton, PA
Thanks guys!  I'll let  you know...

Pam
dit657
on 1/11/09 9:49 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Just checked out the link you sent - had never seen this before but have been thinking about something else to do from the house, especially at this time of year when its so cold and dark at night that I don't want to head to the gym. For the most part it got good reviews - the only negative I saw posted was if you get caught up in the on-line fitness thing, which I'm not interested in. I might give it a try! Thanks for sharing.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 1/11/09 10:05 pm - Easton, PA
Yes, I saw that review as well.  I also saw a review that said it was difficult to inflate the balance thing to the dimensions it says too....but (at least for me) that would only be a one time problem, because I would just leave it inflated after I was done.

Pam
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2677 views