doctors with attitude

LindaScrip
on 1/9/09 12:38 am
I need to get this off of my chest!!! And this is the place to doit.  I don't care if you are skinny or heavy  we all deserve the right to be treated like human beings.  I live by the saying "you treat people the way you want to be treated" and I have stood by that.  If a doctor talks to you like they are "talking down" kick them to the curb.  You do not need to or deserve to be treated that way.  I went to a dermatologist name Dr. Tomeo at Holy Redemer and this is hysterical because I am a blunt no crap person and when he we removing skin tics from by body I asked him what the cause of skin tics was and he said to me that they were caused by fat people sweating and he said it in such a tone that he had no tolerance for people with weight and I was so p***ed off that when it came to removing the ones under my breast he said to me "you have to lift your breast up so I can get underneath them in the came tone"  well being the b**ch I can be I pulled my bra up realing by breasts and held them up and said to him is this better?!  Needless to say I took his a** off guard and after he took a  step back proceeded to finish and when I left his office the girl asked me if I would need another appointment and I saw that he has a female doctor and she was really sweet the girl gave me her card and she practiced out of Graduate Hospital it was worth the trip downtown I went to her and she told me she was no longer practicing out of that office and when I told her what I did to him she was hysterical.  Then she composed herself and said to me "I would never do that to a patient of mine" We do not have to take s*** form anyone doctor or otherwise.  If you are not comfortable with this doctor or any other provider of service go elsewhere.  Life is too short to be mistreated by anyone. Fine someone who shows you respect as a person they are out there.  You do not have to settle for someone treating you other then the way you want to be. We're human beings!
Liz R.
on 1/9/09 12:54 am - Easton, PA
AMEN! No shame in getting a second opinion - EVER!!

IT saved my Mom from a lifetime with a colostomy bag!
Laureen S.
on 1/9/09 1:06 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Good for you, too many doctors (and other professionals for that matter) think that they are someone because of the diploma's on their walls. . .  egomanicas with inferiority complexes.  Sad to say that some of the best people I've ever known in life had no more than an 8th grade education. . .  booksmart, people stupid is the term I use for those sorts, who have no social good graces.

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Pam Hart
on 1/9/09 1:11 am - Easton, PA
Absolutely - no one should ever be treated badly, especially by said "professionals"  Working with them day in and day out....it's amazing to me how they can act.  On my own little tangent it wasn't that long ago that it was standard practice for when a doctor came onto a unit, the nurses were expected to stand up and give them their seat.  Ha!  So glad those days are over with - although some still expect it.

Good for you!

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
LindaScrip
on 1/9/09 1:14 am
liz, its not just a matter of getting a second opinion its just that way people treat people when you are overweight especially.  Thank God your  Mom was smart enough to get that second opinion and is doing well.  I have always said that if you're not comfortable with the answer and you feel something else is wrong for lack of a better word go elsewhere if its your health or other things.  Doctors with ****ty attitudes I'm sorry if it seems like I am picking on doctors I have some wonderful doctors that give me excelent healthcare and I have a a repoire with my doctors.
LindaScrip
on 1/9/09 2:10 am
Pam the day I stand up and give someone my seat just because they are a doctor I don't see that day coming. Someone handicapped, lady with a child something like that. and you know something else? Nurses are awesome.  I had great care whenever I was in the hospital and they are what makes or breaks your hospital stay. The ones is langhorse were terrific! They and Dennis Belk got me through the worst night of my life.
(deactivated member)
on 1/9/09 9:02 am - Santa Cruz, CA
That reminds me of the PCP that fired me when I asked too many questions, and apparently wasn't deferential enough!

Too funny!
LindaScrip
on 1/9/09 11:40 pm
okay at the risk of sounding stupid what is a PCP?  Oh and another story is when I was pregnant for the first and only time at 38 years old my girlfriend sent me to her ob/gyn and they treated me like I was an idiot because I did not know alot of things about childbirth and needless to say I was outa there and when I met with my new doctor I told him why I left the last one and he chuckled and said to me its all about the way we treat out  patients and I have been with them for 14 years. Where people are good to you no matter where you go is where you will stay.
(deactivated member)
on 1/10/09 12:56 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Sorry--PCP means Primary Care Physician.  Usually a general medicine doctor.

After that experience, I always ask any new doctor what their opinion is regarding weight loss surgery.  If they're not 100% for a patient doing what is needed to be healthy, I thank them for their time and I don't waste my time or theirs.  So far, I've been very fortunate finding supportive doctors when I need to get blood work or dexascans, etc.

I know what you mean about OB/GYNs, too.  I had had a horrible time with the aftereffects of a  procedure, and when I went to another OB/GYN about a year later, I was telling him the timeline of what had happened.  He proceeded to interrupt me and tell me "that didn't happen".  I stopped and looked at him, and asked him "were you there???".  He didn't answer that, and I was too dumb and young (and it was too long a wait for appointments) so I didn't walk out, but I wish now after many years that I had. 

You're right about staying with health care providers that are respectful of you and to you.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2677 views