The reactions are always a wow moment....

Pam Hart
on 1/7/09 6:25 am - Easton, PA
So...as many of you know...I had not mentioned my weight loss surgery to my new co workers.  Not because I was "hiding it" or anything like that...but just because it doesn't come up in every day conversation with people you've never met.  One nurse saw an older picture of me and made mention of my weight loss...and I just said I had struggled with my weight and had finally gotten a grip on my life style in the past 14 mos...

So, anyway...last night at work one of the nurses whom I've gotten pretty close with over the past 2 mos made one comment about my lunch (I was eating my salad with chicken on it)...something to the regards of "you always eat so healthy!!"  Then a few hours later as I was eating my ricotta cheese at the desk she said to me "I notice your portions are nice and 'regular' sized....but you seem to eat constantly?!"  Another nurse, who I also have become close with, was sitting in close proximity of that last comment and said "Well...really...that's how we're supposed to eat, small portions every few hours....Pam obviously follows what her body needs"

So, I decided to engage the conversation.  And I decided to tell them about my surgery.  I began with saying....yes, I'm very careful about what I eat.  Almost always lean meats first followed by fruits and veggies.  I try to keep carbs to a minimum, especially the unhealthy ones, although that's easier said than done.

As far as the portion sizes and frequency, along with the lack of sugar and fat in my diet...I am a gastric bypass patient and need to utilize my tool in order to keep the weight off and maintain my life style the way I now LOVE it.

Their faces were just speechless.  One of the two actually grabbed my arm and said "but look...your soooo lean....like tiny lean....you don't LOOK like a gastric bypass patient....you must work out a LOT to keep your skin looking this good"  I laughed a little and said yes, I work out, not as much as I should, but I do work out.  And if you saw my abdomen....you would see the extra skin...and then we talked at length about my "restrictions" and what not.  And of course, I showed them my pics here on OH from before hand.

And you know what....I feel really good about telling them.  Not because I felt like I was hiding something...but because although gastric bypass is not WHO I am...it most certainly is a part of me.

And to heck with those who I am sure will have negative comments as word will undoubtedly spread that "she" had "that weight loss surgery"  Yes I did.  And I am eating the salad as you are eating the munchkins.

:)

pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
DianeMarie
on 1/7/09 6:37 am - Delmont, PA
Yes you had surgery.  You eat well and take care of yourself.  You are an inspiration on this board for all of us considering or had surgery.  Now you are an inspiration even to those that have never had the surgery.  They see how well you take care of yourself and they learn from you.

Keep up the good work!

Diane (one of your biggest fans!)

Diane Stuffer's Facebook profile
Liz R.
on 1/7/09 7:57 am - Easton, PA
You go girl!! They should be proud of you! I know I am. You set a terrific example! WE are all human and make mistakes but it is picking up from them and learning something so next time you can make a better decision that really counts!

You deserve all of their praises!

*hugs*

Liz
Nicole0216
on 1/7/09 9:01 am - Lancaster, PA
That is always a hard one, but I have always decided to tell people. I am awful at keeping secrets anyway. LOL.
You do set a good example and you should be proud.
Cinderella67
on 1/7/09 9:49 am

This is one thing Im struggling with..........telling people about the surgery.  Im pre-op ..... still doing the 6 month supervised diet & pre-op testing (Im about halfway done).  I have only told 3 people my plans for the surgery.   I dont know if Im worried at what their responses will be ......  "Ohhh, she's taking the eay way out"  (Easy way out, my butt!!!!  lol) or if Im worried that once again they will see me fail yet another attemp at weight loss.  I know once the weight starts coming off, people will ask questions. Im not sure yet how I will handle it.  Congrats on your success and being brave enough to share your story with others.   Cindy

Pam Hart
on 1/7/09 11:51 pm - Easton, PA
Funny thing....most of my family does not know about my surgery, but I am open with it with anyone else.  The only people in my family who know is my immediate family - parents, brothers, and in laws.

Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
GD_007
on 1/7/09 11:34 am - Drexel Hill, PA
hummmm...your co-workers actually noticed the frequency at which you eat.  That struck me as odd but then again I don't work in your industry (nor with a group of women).

-GD
aka: Mr.still in the closet around the subject 
Liz R.
on 1/7/09 7:46 pm - Easton, PA
my co-workers (men and women) LOVE to comment about how and when I eat. My boss always has something to say when I am getting my lunch. He is always amazed that I have to plan so much and eat so little. Of course now I can eat a "normal" amount of food.

Nothing wrong with keeping it quiet!

Liz
Pam Hart
on 1/7/09 11:53 pm - Easton, PA
I think it is because I am one of the only ones who eat "at the desk" because obviously I can't go into the break room 3 or 4 times for 15-20 minutes at a clip...so I constantly have food "out" for them to notice I am eating.  Most other people only eat once, while on break, in the back, unless it is a very busy night and we don't have time to take a break....
dit657
on 1/7/09 8:47 pm - Boothwyn, PA
I'm glad you have co-workers who are supportive and understanding - that helps a lot. You know I've always been very open about my surgery - I've been way too heavy too long not to be, and for me it was one of the things that has helped me through it - but its a very personal choice.

In the beginning people would watch everything I ate and ask me questions, etc., about how I was progressing and everything - now I've noticed that I just 'blend' in - I don't make a big deal out of not ordering desserts or bypassing the appetizers - just say no thank you and that 's it.

I do think that when we explain to people how we do have to exercise and watch everything that goes into our mouths and pouches and that its not easy - we deal with foamies, food getting stuck, loose skin, etc., we are spreading the word that the surgery is a tool, not a quick, easy fix like a lot of people think it is - education...its a wonderful thing!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1894 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1990 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2678 views